1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What Watercooling do you thinks i should get?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Greek, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Greek

Greek New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well i'm thinking of leaving ari cooling and moving on to watercooling as i dnt like hot tempearatures on the CPU ;)

so i have been lookin at the thermalatake coolers specifically this one

Aquarius III A1681 (http://thermaltake.com/product/Liguid/DIY/a1681/a1681.asp)

and the

TRIBE CL-w0020 (http://thermaltake.com/product/Liguid/DIY/cl-w0020/cl-w0020.asp)

since as i have the Kandalf case from them, i think these two would fit in perfectly cz ma case is made for watercooling.

so which one do you think is worth buying or have any of you gt any of these two?

if you have your own watercooling kits which you think are worth looking into please show me some links, oh and i do live in the UK so if its only in America then i cant get it.

Thanks

Greek

2. alic2k

alic2k New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well... i just recently moved from Air - Water myself...

I went for thermaltake too, but went for the Big Water 745... It's an awesome piece of kit... incredibly simple to assemble and seeing as it was my 'first time' *awwwww* i thought it best to go for a complete kit rather than bits and pieces...

Stats: AIR:

Idle: 35-40
    Load: 60+

WATER:

Idle: 22-25
    Load: 30-35

So, yeah... pretty damn good choice going to water... A couple of issues with thermaltake tho i noticed from my installation... Make sure u screw down that CPU waterblock TIGHT! and i mean tight... make sure you tighten each bolt evenly... you want an even spread of contact between the waterblock and cpu/paste. If it can go tighter make it so!! You don't wanna run ur system only to have the temps sitting the same as air... only to realise ur waterblock isn't sitting right... :mad:

Also, if anyone knows anything bout the P5VDC-X mobo... there is a VERY VERY VERY annoying little plastic clip that holds the mobo down... god forbid any more of those clips that get in my way!

Oh yeah, got mine in the uk too... all for under £90...

Enjoy...

3. Greek

Greek New Member

Thanks Received:
    hey

thanks for the reply, yher have seen that big water kit, and have heard gd things about it, but to me it looks too simple in a way. if its a difference of paying a couple of extra quid then i dnt mind getting one og the above.how often did u change the liquid?

4. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    i think aquacomputer sells some kits aswell, and they are far better than thermaltake stuff ;)

5. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you dont mind me asking....what temps are you running at the moment that you dont like?

6. Aze New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think you should clean your cables up and stick with air :nutkick:

Before water cooling Gri, i think you should look into some better cooling gel.

7. Munkul New Member

Thanks Received:
    get some AS5 and a freezer64 pro that will be as good as those two watercooling kits.

8. Aze New Member

Thanks Received:
    He already has a Zalman AB3CL CPU Cooler, so i think with some AS5 that his CPU temperture will drop quite a bit

9. alic2k

alic2k New Member

Thanks Received:
    more gel / paste

Yeah, definitely agree on the paste.... as an inbetween i took the CPU stock cooler off, cleaned it up, repasted and put it back on... all dust removed etc etc... it ran at bout 5-10* cooler (under load) - so DEFINITELY worth looking into just better air cooling if ur requirements aren't that high. Given that to my bro now - he seems happy enough! lol!

On changing the liquid tho i hear its about once a year (but seein as i just installed mine i haven't done it yet) U can get large Bays and resevoirs which prolong the amount of time between refills but these can just as easily get affected by algae / rust etc... which brings me on to the type of liquid...

The thermaltake stuff is pretty good in all areas but not GREAT... there is a thread on this forum somewhere bout types of liquid to use (even some sketchy homemade stuff) but can't remember where it is now... any help guys???

I like the look of the box ur gettin, but is it pratical? I mean do u need all that 'gadgetery' or, like me, do u just like the way it glows in a kind of "i'm far superior than any other cooling system" kind of way?

If ur willing to shell out a few more bucks (shit - almost sound american :D -jk!) look into some of the Danger Den solid silver stuff... - maybe not the best lookers but definitely some of the best performers...

Good luck!

10. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
  11. Greek

Greek New Member

Thanks Received:

thank you for the BIG reply, i see what u mean about cleaning out and putting some new cpu paste and all that. i do like the way those thermaltake thongs do look like, and i do like going for looks and preformance that why i gt the kandalf :p. i will look into it more now, and look around, jus though thermaltake wud be a gd way to start as it shud fit in nicelly with my case, but ill let u no on what ive decided.

thanks

12. Greek

Greek New Member

Thanks Received:
    bloody hell tigg, how much do u think i earn lol, but i see what u mean, it wud be nice to go custom. i will have to think cz it is a lot of money if u want a decent one.

thanks for the replies

13. Greek

Greek New Member

Thanks Received:
    38-42 , i think that under 40 on desktop its ok, but sometimes when i go over i just think why, im not even unsing stock cooler

14. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:

I agree,have been thinking about watercooling and saw those Swiftech kits.
    They seem to get good reviews here

Can be run for silence or preformance whichever you prefer.
    But Tigger alot of places OUT OF STOCK in the UK,do you know of anywhere that has them?

15. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
  16. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    Was just on there myself,but was looking for "plus" kit,sorry forgot to metion that!!:toast:

Overclock.co.uk has plus kit for £200,pre order no due date,so might wait till after Christmas.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
  17. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    1 plus to going with a preconfigured kit, is that it takes the guesswork out for a WC first timer.

18. Alcpone

Thanks Received:
    I cant recommend XSPC any higher, they have some good stuff and @ reasonable prices, I have one of their systems and it is robust and works a treat and looks real nice with abit of uv dye in the water!

Just google them for resellers!

p.s - google's custom pic is best ive ever seen it today!

:)

19. alic2k

alic2k New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol, Scream! :toast: Awesome! Makes me want to go back home to our Scream pub the Alex!! :toast: Good 'ol Yellow Cards.... anyone from UK got one?? lol:toast:

20. Alcpone

Thanks Received:
    :confused:

How you know im called Alex lol

Im not sure what you mean by yellow cards though???

21. alic2k

alic2k New Member

Thanks Received:
    More regarding the watercooling:

With the Thermaltake Big Water (like quite a few of the kits) they have a sticky foam pad that goes on the reverse side of the MOBO to the CPU. This can actually cause you a few issues when u wanna upgrade mobo and take ur H2O with you as it could prove hard to remove / damage ur mobo. Still haven't found anywhere that does replacement foam pads.

When u finally get it set up, give us an example of BEFORE / AFTER temps so we can see how good the kit u get it...

Also try running prime95 stress test for the 'under load' values... its a good consistent performer...

enjoy, and good luck!:toast:

22. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    please dont mind me, but i still dont understand the whole watercooling trend. a 'good' watercooling kit will cost you atleast 150 bucks here in the US. why not just spend some of that money on a higher clocked cpu?

also, a lot of people seem to be very scared of their cpu temps going above 50. i dont see a reason to be scared of this! running your cpu up to 60 degrees at load is perfectly fine, especially if you are like most and replace your cpu every couple of years.

23. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    Too right.....for most AMD's upto 69C I think is max threshold. Personally I fully agree, whats the point in spending $150 to bring idle temps down to 20C from say 40C when you can either mod your air or buy better air cooling to get it down to say 35C at idle for a fraction of the price? just a personal thing, now if they (the temps) were potentially stopping max overclocks then thats a different thing but in the case of most mainstream AMD chips unlike to a certain extent the P4's they max out in any case, I cannot get my Athlon 4000+ beyond 3.3Gig no matter what I try and that is not due to voltage or temps because she simply wont go any faster.

24. Greek

Greek New Member

Thanks Received:
    well ive ordered some artic silver 5 just to see if that wud make a difference, i mean watercooling is an idea, it doesnt mean i will defo do it, another reason why y like it, it will look neat inside the PC and not so much shit going on, i cant get ma 4200X2 to go over 2.75 i dont no why but i jus cant. ram running at 400MHz dual channel 3-3-3-8.

25. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    Well its going to be for one of 3 reasons:
    1. Not enuff volts
    2. Too much heat (unlikely from what you have said!)
    3. It's maxed out in an case. I had a 4200 x2, I got mine to 2.79 on 1.55V but to hit 2.8Gig I had to bang it up to 1.6V, I had no issues with heat so that tells me the chip is more or less maxed, I consider myself to be pretty handy at overclocking AMD's and have been pretty successful with 5 different chips over the last 4 years, like a 3000 Barton, 3200 Venice, 3800 Venice, 4200 x2 Manchester and 4000+ Sandy so it was not my lack of knowledge that would not allow the chip to progress, nor limitations of the mainboards I have used.

You strike me as someone who has a decent knowledge of overclocking so you aint missing any of the fundamentals (HTT/Mem divider etc etc) so I think its just the chip, have not googled for a while on what other users are getting as a comparison so give that a go.