1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What would be a reasonable price for GeForce GTX Titan?

Discussion in 'TPU Frontpage Polls' started by W1zzard, Feb 22, 2013.

?

What would be a reasonable price for GeForce GTX Titan?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2013.
  1. I'm happy with the $1k price

350 vote(s)
    3.9%
  2. $850

411 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. $700

2,077 vote(s)
    22.9%
  4. $550

2,608 vote(s)
    28.7%
  5. $400

1,011 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. As low as possible

1,156 vote(s)
    12.7%
  7. I still can't afford it

1,465 vote(s)
    16.1%
  1. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

In the UK retail want £839.00 that's UK Pounds; in US that's $1,277.82

I will never pay that for any vga card; UK retail and Nvidia must be on a different planet

atb (all the best)

Law-II

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  2. syeef

Thanks Received:
    Title states " What would be a reasonable price for GeForce GTX Titan? " duh!

3. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This bit explains why both Titan and GTX690 exists together: even if both of them are expensive beasts they are slightly different: the 690 is targeted to be used as a single graphics card, while people should only consider the Titan if they intend to run multiple Titans. In that sense the Titan is even more "premium" than the 690, since you will need to have enough money to buy not one, but at least 2 to bring out its glory.

Prestige is not easily quantifiable. Why would Toyota be making LFA if Camry is selling as well as it is? Engineering expertise gained from making crazy projects is another one which can not be easily quantified.

4. Fluffmeister

Fluffmeister

Thanks Received:
    Yeah it's not too hard to understand, although the people that voted $550 and lower are rather delusional.

5. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    In the strict terms of technology pricing I have to agree. $550 would only work if the 680 was no more than $300.

Fluffmeister says thanks.
  6. syeef

Thanks Received:
    lower than $550... delusional? Sure... But $550-600 is a fair price if you ask me.

7. Fluffmeister

Fluffmeister

Thanks Received:
    Sure if both nVIDIA and AMD want to decimate their current line-ups.

The 7970 GHZ would have to be no more than say $350 at most then, 680 a bit lower still. Which knocks on to all the cards below.

8. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    That's because there is very little prestige with the name "Toyota". You mention the LFA. That's a Lexus, yes, Lexus is owned by Toyota and has a premium price for a premium car. There is a difference though, I'm willing to bet most Lexus' are more than 20% faster than a Toyota. :laugh:

We're also talking about video cards. I wouldn't mind investing more in a car because I tend to drive more than I play games, considering I have a job, a family, and too much to do and not enough time.

The simple fact is there is practically no market for Titan, it's tiny. So small AMD even said it's not worth their time.

If you want to make money, you appeal to the masses and that Titan will have absolutely zero impact on my decision to go AMD or nVidia when I do decide to upgrade my 6870s. With that said, I think that from a design perspective, Titan is pretty bad ass. From a marketing perspective, someone at nVidia needs to get fired because I bet you all the money that went into development and production of Titan will never pay off.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  9. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    That would be $600 Bob

10. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    And it seems people interpret that as "how much are you willing to pay for it".

Aquinus says thanks.
  11. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Duh! Beat me to it. NVIDIA conned everyone by flogging a midrange product as high end, successfully doubling the price of top end cards. :shadedshu

Law-II, jihadjoe and syeef say thanks.
  12. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, but the biggest problem is how late the GTX 680 came to the party. By the time nVidia release it a pretty large number of people started investing in AMD's 7900-series chips. How many people do you think now will not buy a Titan because of the price and the simple fact that they already have one 680 and that a second one would be just as good?

I keep hearing people saying, "I was thinking about getting a Titan then I looked at the price and suddenly GTX 680s in SLI sound a whole lot nicer because I already have one."

I think the order and dates that nVidia has been releasing their GPUs has been pretty poor imho.

13. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    it's better performance than GTX680 4G version, let we say $100 more it should be around $650.

14. qubit

Thanks Received:
    It could well be that the shear size and complexity of the GK110 delayed it by a lot so they rushed out the 680 to compete with AMD. Still though, I think it's pretty obvious that they had price gouging in mind when they did this, or they would have called it the GTX 660 or something and charged a midrange price. Think about it: what enthusiast wouldn't be stoked at getting a midrange card that beats the competition's top end? However, they then brought out the dual GPU GTX 690 at twice the price. Nice slight of hand, nvidia, lol.

As much as I don't like it, to be fair, I would have done the same had I been in their shoes. Who wouldn't charge a lot more for their products if they could get away with it?

15. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I agree, the problem is I don't think they're going to get away with it.

qubit says thanks.
  16. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Let's hope you're right. :D

17. Fluffmeister

Fluffmeister

Thanks Received:
    Yeah let's be honest, we all want one, you'd have to completely blinkered not too. The only real negative is the price.

18. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:
    Forgive my French, but isn't it in the end the same thing?? :rolleyes:

19. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Personally, I'd be "ok" with no more than $800 at release, and dropping to the $500 range after about 6 months(not like that is going to happen though)

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Depends if youre willing to sack your maids, your butlers, your cooks, your chauffeur and your reception/waiting staff because mansion tax is kicking the shit out of your annul income but you still have deep enough pockets after the wave of sackings and lay offs to afford one of these cards.

As for everyone else whose paygrade isnt above that of a humble working class citizen struggling to make ends meet with a lot less disposable income due to inflation, rising council tax, rising gas/electricity bills, rising rent and costs of owning a car or motorcycle just to get to work.... Id say no - we will not be affording this £840 graphics card anytime soon.

As always, UK Pricing is quite atrocious.

$550 does sound quite reasonable though. Id be willing to pay that much if i was looking for a new card.

Aquinus says thanks.
  21. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Even still, it doesn't help with Titan's current price tag. What is atrocious is the price tag across the globe for this GPU. Not just in the UK. It's a crappy price for the US market too.
    +1: Us lowly commoners and those who are finantially responsible can only let our mouths salivate at the looks and specs of this card. As for those people who have the money to afford one of these, you're still wasting your money, I don't care that you have a lot of it. It's still wasteful spending. So don't go getting a Titan than start bitching about your taxes or something like that.

The more I think about Titan the less and less I want to get a nVidia card in general if their business model is going to be like this.

22. Kaynar

Thanks Received:
    $700.... translates roughly to £500+ if I'm not mistaken. But lol that is the price of a 4GB GTX680 in the UK... stupid nVidia pricing in this country, as said above.

But anyway, this is a premium card built just to give the "fastest card on the planet" title to nVidia. The high price tag is simply because they CANT make thousands of these cards.

23. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    What does that say about nVidia though? They can't make a high performance GPU without having crap for yeilds? That's not something you want to be announcing. I also think that's crap, I don't think they have yeild issues. They're milking it because they think 20% improvement is work 100% more money. :shadedshu

24. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    $700 is £458.36

Only the 'premium' GTX680 models like the EVGA GTX 680 Classified Hydro Copper cost in excess of £458, Their about £644 ($983.52) which is just retarded. they charge you an extra £153 just because you chose to go for the version with the pre-installed waterblock instead of the standard aircooled version.

25. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    I've never ever seen people, as a whole, act so negatively towards a product's price like this.

To me, Titan should be $749, at MOST. Right between the 680 and the 690.