1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What would be a reasonable price for GeForce GTX Titan?

Discussion in 'TPU Frontpage Polls' started by W1zzard, Feb 22, 2013.

?

What would be a reasonable price for GeForce GTX Titan?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2013.
  1. I'm happy with the $1k price

350 vote(s)
    3.9%
  2. $850

411 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. $700

2,077 vote(s)
    22.9%
  4. $550

2,608 vote(s)
    28.7%
  5. $400

1,011 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. As low as possible

1,156 vote(s)
    12.7%
  7. I still can't afford it

1,465 vote(s)
    16.1%
  1. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    i voted for the $850 mark for a few reasons:
    1-Its the most powerful single gpu there is
    2-It has a rather large die size, so binning can't be too great for it
    3-Yes you can get 2 cards that perform better for cheaper, but again it's ONE card with less power draw than any 2 cards' power draw that can outperform it.
    4-to lower the price would make their lower tiered cards kind moot, so they would need a price drop, which in turn may lose them profits even if they sold more(speculating)
  2. jihadjoe

jihadjoe

Thanks Received:
    ^ It's just 30mm^2 larger than the GX580, and yet they were able to sell GK110 at $550.

This generation of cards was a ripoff from both camps. When changing generations, we expect more performance at the same price points. But both camps decided instead to price their new cards based on the performance improvement over the old. Can you imagine what will happen if this continues? In a few years we'd have $3000 CPUs and GPUs.
  3. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    I think FREE on a TPU giveaway WITHOUT facebook would be about the right price ;)
  4. sergionography

Thanks Received:
    28nm is much more expensive than 40nm was
    and fermi and the gtx480 was a disaster for nvidia, and by the time the problems were solved and gtx580 was out they couldnt price it higher because amd had a 380mm2 part that performed barely 15% lower for a price of 350-400 and much better efficiency, so pricing it over 550 was not an option, not to mention the lower speced 570 was priced the same as a 6970 because it performed the same
    this time around amd went with a 350mm2 due to more expensive process, and nvidia refined the architecture so its pretty much equal to what amd has in terms of performance/diesize/power. so making a huge chip does get u more performance
    fermi on the other hand while many thing it ended up good was actualy less efficient than vliw4, amd just doesnt make monster sized chips thats all, tho it couldve easily matched or surpassed gtx580 with a larger chip
  5. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Well for me I don't get any of those issues and lets face it Sli/Crossfire has come along way. And if a game doesn't support CFX/Sli then i still got a powerful enough card to get by until that game does support it.

Still doest justify the price, when SLi/crossfire works in most modern games with out issues with pretty dam good scaling.

Ive been running Sli/Crossfire since the 7600GT era and it has improved so much it makes it worth it now. Future games will only get better and support this tech anyway so yes the titan is over priced no matter what way you look at it and Sli/Crossfire these days for me personally work very well and cheaper against this card.
  6. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    $550. I'm pretty sure it is what nvidia would price it if ever AMD released a card that would compete it.. complete with its generic GTX280-ish cooler and pcb.

As of now, it is pretty much an obvious rip off.
  7. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    I suppose you don't game at 1600p.

You said the right word with CFX/SLI.

I honestly have had too many issues in the past to take CrossfireX seriously. If it works for you, then I'm glad for you, really. Cause I didn't/don't have the same outcome when playing with CFX.
  8. Relayer

Thanks Received:
    I said $700. Only because it has 6gig of VRAM. If it were 3gig it would be $550-$600 tops.
  9. alwayssts

Thanks Received:
    Agree.

I think a fair price is a launch of $700, with an eventual slide toward $600.

Price is such a strange thing to nail down because the launch MSRP is one thing, but street price usually settles around 15% lower.

That said, that number is if this were a 'real' product meant to be sold en masse and/or had competition. As it sits, it makes sense.

nvidia is a 'smart' company. By smart, I mean a company that cares first and foremost about making money. They are good at that, and make all the right choices for that goal.

They launched this thing at lowest possible spec clocks; around what you should expect for the bare minimum/max yield on 28nm (look at the clocks in respect to .85v, the minimum for 28HP versus other chips using 1.05v etc)...meaning they can probably use a metric ton of chip candidates. The price is the same per mm as every other GPU ever launched that never had direct competition (I always draw comparison to the $399 218mm Radeon 9700pro). It just so happens it is a really big-ass chip. It's also an opportunity that arose simply because, as Anand or Eric Demers would say, AMD simply didn't show up.

On the flipside, pricing both 690/Titan prohibitively high also slows down adoption rates of said higher-end hardware and hence required spec requirements in games for that much longer into the foreseeable future. That can be seen as both a good and bad thing, depending on if your allegiances are to your wallet or to your eyes.

End of the day it's too expensive...but that's exactly the point.
  10. Relayer

Thanks Received:
    It makes sense from nVidia's side. It makes no sense from the consumer's side though. It's not like there are only 1000 of them and if you don't get one now, they'll all be gone.

I see people with 670's and 680's running 1080p monitors dropping a grand for no good reason. :shrug:
  11. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Pricing Update

lols ahoy.

In the UK, I have just bought (delivery Thursday 7th) an Asus Titan for £828 from Dabs. The exact same model (as of writing is on sale and in stock) at Overclockers is currently £959.

Yes, that's £130 more for the exact same thing. Thats 15% more at OcUK. Ultra profiteering. :shadedshu
  12. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    I'd be happy if it diddnt cost more in the UK... basically if it was a direct translation of the US$ price without the extra ontop they seem to pile on everything!
  13. fusionblu

fusionblu

Thanks Received:
    I chose $700 which in my perspective would be £700 as I'm in the UK (I'm not taking currency difference into consideration here) as that is what I would like to pay for this graphics card, but I still paid the £845 for my Gigabyte Titan because the Titan is fairly efficient for its power consumption with its given output (in gaming and graphics performance that is) and because buying two mid-range graphics card in dual set-up (whether it is SLI or Crossfire) isn't that reliable to keep up with the newest games as I learned the hard way unfortunately (and the set up isn’t power consumption efficient too).

I know with the money I could have brought two AMD (any Brand, Sapphire preferred for me) HD 7970s for a crossfire set-up which would be more powerful overall and cheaper too, but that set-up is too inefficient for me to want to consider using and my Gigabyte Titan has not had any issues at all while being powered by my 550W platinum PSU and all is working perfectly too so far (and all I’m waiting for now is better support drivers for the Titan).
  14. Fluffmeister

Thanks Received:
    And to think the Overclockers.co.uk cards all still sold out. I did say they would sell regardless of the poor people here. ;)

Congratulations on your new card.
  15. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Thanks? (can't tell if sarcasm) :laugh:

Let me (as a buyer of an overpriced gfx card) state that if you bought an Asus card from Overclockers for £959 when they were on sale (now sold out) at Dabs for £130 less you really need your head checked. I can't believe people don't shop around online. Simply idiotic.

For less than the OcUK price I have an Asus Titan incoming and an EK waterblock for it with £30 left to spare.
  16. Fluffmeister

Thanks Received:
    Oh no sarcasm at all my good man! I hope and I'm sure you will enjoy it. Maybe you didn't realize at first... but this card is aimed squarely at people like you! ;)

There doesn't have to be any rhyme or reason to it, it's human nature to want something faster and shinier. You know what you have now is perfectly good enough as it is, but that didn't stop you placing a shiny new TITAN in some on online basket for a few days whilst fighting the urge to press "confirm order". :banghead:

Even at a far quieter forum I frequent a good number of them own TITANS already too. :respect:
  17. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    No i play at the most common rez either 1080P or my 2 monitor set up which is 1600*1200 plus 1280*1024

Heh wrong context there :slap:

Fair enough, we all have different set ups and different game styles etc so yes the out come would be different.

Trust me when i had my first 4870X2 i was worried id have problems but no it ran perfectly well. Then i paired it with another 4870X2 and I thought here we go bring on the shit storm (that everyone talks about) and to my surprise it ran great for a good 2yrs with out many problems at all. Guess i got lucky?
  18. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    You've been extemely lucky, my 4870x2 was a nightmare, and I can tell you I'm not the only one who has had issues with it, some are on this forum too.
  19. MicroUnC

MicroUnC New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think i know why this things cost so much! It is because producing this stuff lays heavy on planets environment and resources. There are not enough cooper and aluminum ect.. in the planet itself to make happy all the gamers in the world. And that's just graphics cards, what about other industry stuff?! So basically this things are not efficient, they waste human/planet resources and energy. So the architecture SUCKS guys! It seems to me that we are not that smart :p
  20. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    You really want to go there?

Unless you want an existence of living without modern convenience and going back to a fully agrarian, non-industrial 'society' your point is unintentionally hypocritical. I am not saying YOU are a hypocrite, just the stance we morally take.
    I do not like how we plunder the planet either but the fact is - I like my life with all it's mod cons and being a godless individual I see that we only get one shot at happiness then it's back to dust for me. Even people with a God can argue that this life is a trial run for heaven or whatever a faith believes.
    Back in on-topic land Titan is a step forward at least in PC tech terms for it's frugal power consumption compared to it's relative performance, no forgetting it's insane memory size.
  21. Exceededgoku

Thanks Received:
    Guys greenpeace is located here: http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/

Take that moral attitude there, here it's about technology and the next best thing.

And this is at the pinnacle of GPU tech right now, although as the topic suggests arguably too expensive.
  22. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Agreed ^

Also people naturally see this card as a gaming card, and that's right cause this is mainly a tweakers/gamers site.

So coming from that point of view this card may seem overpriced, maybe for gaming only, it is.

But let me tell you that this is a complete steal for people like me who work with CUDA accelerated software and software that uses DP math.

I bought one of these cards and it took literally 30 seconds to take it apart from my rig and install it in my render rig.

I think Nvidia winked at people like me with this kind of card.
  23. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
  24. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    I'm curious to know how Titan will maintain its high performance on the market ?

If the new generation GeForce 700 will be necessarily less than Titan'll do what?

How long is expected Titan will remain the fastest single GPU ever made?

If the GeForce 700 series will be less powerfull thiis can be a big mistake.
  25. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    Worth Getting a GTX Titian:
    1. If you have older tech ( 5970 and below)
    2. If you need it as a compute card (Cheaper then Business class versions)
    3. If money is no object
    4. If you are planning SLI with the card

Not getting the GTX Titian:
    1. It is too expensive
    2. Resale value won't be there (If you sell your cards when you upgrade... You will not recoup most of your cost like you have with past generations)
    3. Performance is not as impressive for it's current price on the current drivers.
    4. You will be able to buy a GTX 780 which will out perform this card for 500 bucks in less than 6 months.

There are many more reasons on both sides of the argument. I say if someone wants to spend their hard earned money on such a card.....Let them! That's their right! But I will not be one of those people! This is a overpriced power grab buy Nvidia IMO. This card is not worth my time... I will wait till the GTX 780 releases.