1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What would be a reasonable price for GeForce GTX Titan?

Discussion in 'TPU Frontpage Polls' started by W1zzard, Feb 22, 2013.

?

What would be a reasonable price for GeForce GTX Titan?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2013.
  1. I'm happy with the $1k price

350 vote(s)
    3.9%
  2. $850

411 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. $700

2,077 vote(s)
    22.9%
  4. $550

2,608 vote(s)
    28.7%
  5. $400

1,011 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. As low as possible

1,156 vote(s)
    12.7%
  7. I still can't afford it

1,465 vote(s)
    16.1%
  1. Konceptz

Konceptz

Thanks Received:
    I'd say 500-600. You can build a lot of PC for $1,000 if you know what your doing, as most of us do...

2. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    Please explain to me, do you really think a 1000 dollar card will be obsolete in 6 months ? And do you really think this card will be beaten by the next gen 780 series ?

3. BigMack70

Thanks Received:
    It wouldn't be surprising to see the Titan matched or beaten by next gen... it is only ~30% faster than the top of this current generation.

That's a big part of why I can't stomach dropping $1K for it.

phanbuey says thanks.
  4. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Yeah but...

AMD are not releasing another single chip top end card this year. They have stated that. So the 7970 will stay where it is. Titan trounces the 680 in most things, especially at higher resolutions (what it's best for tbh).

The next Kepler refresh (all rumour ish) will be this year and wont catch up with Titan. You'll need to wait till next year for a proper new card from Nvidia.

If Nvidia do refresh the 680, it will be to beat out the 7970 GHz properly (if it even can). It wont be to topple Titan. Bear in mind Titan is a 6GB, 7 billion transistor card, it'll take a new architecture and potentially a process shrink to get better.

The 7970 is the best all round card out there in my opinion. AMD can sit on it. Nvidia have the Titan to say, well, we have the fastest single chip card. There wont be anything breathtaking for the rest of this year. It's console time.

5. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    im betting that alot of it is because games have so much consoleitis that the gfx are not pushing the cards hard enough to want or need to upgrade.

Pretty much anyone even with the GTX 470 levels is sitting pretty right now, and have been for a while.

Not like back in the day when Oblivion or Crysis, or even a texture mod for Doom 3 would stomp your shiny new SLI setup into the dirt. And the 8800 came out at what $650? and the ultra for $800? It made sense then because that card would actually take your graphics to a new level altogether.

I don't think we will see consumer gfx move until the next refresh of consoles (read: content). Or unless Intel enters the market and gives it a kick in the pants.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  6. BigMack70

Thanks Received:
    I agree. It seems to me we're a solid year, or close to it, away from the successors to the 680 and 7970 (so long as you don't count Titan as the 680 successor).

To be honest, if there were a game that truly needed two Titan's worth of power right now at 1440p, I would probably fork over my tax return (+sell my 7970s + sell some bitcoin) for them. But the only thing I can't currently max at 60fps is Crysis 3 single player, but I can get a constant 40fps maxed with no AA which is still OK.

I'm figuring I can get 2xGTX 780 in a year and have close to the performance of two Titan cards for the price of one. That's my hope, anyways. If AMD can ever figure out how to fix the stuttering issues on 7970 CF, I may not upgrade from them for a long time. It's just the stuttering that's making me want to jump ship back to Nvidia.

And I'm thinking we're still several GPU generations away from having a single GPU card that can truly handle 1440/1600p gaming on its own (sadly).

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  7. Kronvict

Kronvict

Thanks Received:
    Agreed. I was planning on buying The GTX Titan but then they released with a $999 Price tag per GPU, i couldn't justify the price imo. The price itself killed my willingness to get one regardless of how awesome it is so i just ordered two GTX 680s for a sli config. After seeing the performance of GTX 680 SLi vs a single titan i'm glad i did.

8. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This thread is kind of funny IMO as most retailers cannot keep this GPU in stock:)

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Ikaruga

Ikaruga

Thanks Received:
    $599

10. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Either:

A: People have more money than they care to admit and I'm jelous that I'm not one of them.
    or
    B: nVidia was only able to produce so many (or was only willing to produce so many,) so it wouldn't saturate the market to keep the price high.
    or
    C: nVidia is using the marketing ploy to cover the fact that the yields were crap and that is why it came so late to the market.

Edit: or (just thought of this one, :p)
    D: nVidia had Tesla cards that failed QA for professional use or one reason or another, be it clock speed or required voltage at a give clock speed, take your pick, but were good enough for your average consumer.

Speculation, yeah. I still think 1,000 USD is a bit steep regardless of the reason though. $750 USD would have been reasonable imho, maybe 800 but I think that's pushing it. It's obvious that if someone is willing to spend this much money on a video card then clearly it's something important to them. Either that or money isn't an object for these people, in that case I might rather not have a Titan, not because of the price but rather what it represents. It's like getting an Extreme Edition.

e-peen, imho, is only worth so much money and even if I had the money for a Titan, I don't think I could whole-heartily support it and justify purchasing it.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  11. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Or E: Nvidia have released a card to the consumer desktop market that has the same hardware as a £3000 compute card with some compute 'assurances' (ECC etc) removed. Titan still has it's full compute for DP enabled, something removed form GK104.
    As some have pointed out, it's a very cheap compute card or a very expensive gaming card.

I don't think Nvidias HPC client group would be very happy to see their expensive compute card being sold for 500 bucks or whatever people think it ought to be sold at. It's all business in the end.

12. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I'm pretty sure that their HPC clients would also like a fully featured card with ECC memory. Business can be business but business is also an excuse for other things that you would rather not tell the public. Just because nVidia doesn't tell you something doesn't mean that nothing is going on behind the scenes. I'm not convinced that this is the case, and I also said 750 USD not 500, which isn't a huge departure from 1000 USD but it's also not unreasonable either. I think that nVidia could have found a more reasonable price point which is why I'm more likely to think that yields weren't good because I find it hard to believe that a huge number of these cards were sold before they sold out.

13. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    I hear ya.

I think Nvidia pushed themselves into a corner by releasing the K20 card as Titan to us mortals. Still, I agree with the pricing of $750 and maybe a sticker on the card saying "DP compute functions not 100% stable - but it can play Crysis".

Aquinus says thanks.
  14. TheHunter

TheHunter

Thanks Received:
    +1
    This.

15. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    $699.

Perfect price. :D

16. Fierce Guppy

Fierce Guppy

Thanks Received:
    Look at the New Zealand retail price for the Titan.

http://pricespy.co.nz/search.php?query=gtx titan

Our dollar is worth .82 cents American so you'd think the price would be set accordingly, like around $1200, not $1540 to $1826.

You Americans have it good. The GTX 690 was introduced here at $2500 and stayed around that price for quite a while.

17. Relayer

Thanks Received:
    Keep in mind our prices include 15% GST where the prices in the States are pre tax. The $1540 price is only ~$1100 USD once you remove GST. An extra 10% for such a small market is actually low compared to what we usually pay for nVidia tax.

Of course it's all academic, considering nobody has one in stock and you'll never find one for anything close to $1540NZD when it is.

18. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:

Because they have 2 or 3 at max. ;)

Aquinus says thanks.
  19. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I can buy one now (Gainward) for €973,67, or £829,79. Most places don't have them in stock though, but it seems they will come in hard in by late april.

20. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    This, can't seem to find another one reasonably priced where I bought it (814 Eur), in fact the only available here are well over 950 Eur, which is too much imo.

21. McSteel

McSteel

Thanks Received:
    Where I am, B2B price is around 869€, retail goes a bit over 1k. Appalling.

22. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    B2B doesn't pay 20% VAT, so price is kinda the same