1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What would be holding me back?!

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by SlipSlice, Dec 15, 2006.

1. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok so here is how it goes down... a few weeks ago I order a Rosewill 550 Watt PSU, and the XFX Geforce 6800Xt, I go to put the PSU, and didn't stay grounded getting cocky, and i fried my motherboard.. I got another one now, the ASRock K7VM3. I put the card and PSU in, and and play, and I lag so bad it is ridiculous.. I shouldn't lag with fear on medium with 800x600 resolution with this card should I? Actually some things are even on minimun and low.. I have read reviews with people have an Athlon XP 2500+ and run bf2 on high with this card so what is the deal..

If anybody has any thoughts on what may be holding me back, please feel free to post your suggestions, this is really really frustrating.

P.S. I have tried drivers like 3-4 times now and nothing has really helped. :mad:

2. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    your board is 4x agp...

solution, buy another baord.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2006
  3. i_am_mustang_man New Member

Thanks Received:
    not necessarily (i'm adding, but wanted to post this first, and then edit :D)

http://www.pcmoddingmy.com/e107_plugins/content/content.php?content.142

it might make it slower, but laggy, no

something janky is going on

have you defragged lately? is your ram in dual channel? if you can get a hold of more ram, see if that helps (ram helps alot with fear, oblivion, and bf2/2142 to name a few), and if it does, then get more ram

but it shouldn't be laggy like that

4. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't see why my ram would make a difference, at least it hasn't never before. I have a gig, isn't that enough for the time being? Defragged no, because I had this computer rebuilt meaning new motherboard new OS system because i had the "emachines motherboard" in it not to long ago, and well the Angel Soft recovery wouldn't work no more when I got this motherboard, so the guys at computer plus intalled the new OS for me..

Other than that I don't think I have did nothing else that would make this thing lag as much as it does..

I don't believe so..

5. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    only the nforce2 sktA supports dual channel...

6. ATIonion New Member

Thanks Received:
    make sure that your bios has that card as 4x agp and not 2xagp...

but this sounds kinda like ram to me....idk...try taking out one stick of ram and rebooting...test it with a benchmark or game...if nothing changes swap the RAM with the one left over...reboot and test....if nothing changes then you know its not your RAM...

7. i_am_mustang_man New Member

Thanks Received:
    actually, you prolly can't run dual channel, so nm

the easiest test would be to borrow ram from a friend/family/coworker and try it then.

actually, run 3dmark05, and tell us what you get. run it at stock (1024x768, no aa, no af) and you should get some comparable results to see if it's your gpu at least

8. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok I have to download it again, I should have to result posted sometime tonight, so please be on, later

9. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
  10. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
    Anybody have any comments?

11. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    you shouldnt have any issues running on the 4x agp i know it isnt a very big diff cause the ti4200 i have is 4x and the 8x that is benchmarked online is very close performance wise that card wont fill the 4x bandwidth anyway so maybe your mobo downclocked the cpu? my old ECS did that when i hit performance settings

12. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You sure you got ALL the drivers on? chipset/agp/sound/etc etc

13. xman2007

xman2007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    just check you dont have shadows/soft shadows enabled/ too high that eats a lot of resources in a lot of modern ga,es

14. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't know how to update my chipset, because I got a new motherboard, ASRock K7VM3. could somebody help me find the most recent updates for my chipset?

Other than that I know my sound card drivers are installed and working, and graphics i have tried 5-6 times with no performance change, so it is probably not that, it might just be my chipset.

nothing is on high, lol, hell i get like 20 fps on medium/minimun

15. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    Just go to your motherboard manufacturers website, under products find your board, click on support, click on drivers and it will give you a list of the most up to date, download the chipset/AGP/LAN etc and install, reboot and your away, I am guessing but I think that not all the necessary drivers are installed, either way you have nothing to lose, its always wise to update chipset drivers once in a while in any case.

Here you go, I dont just do this for anyone ya know!

http://www.asrock.com/support/download.asp?Model=K7VM3

16. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
    the Lan drivers only? is that it?

17. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    No, download the chipset and AGP which are contained in the "Via 4 in 1" and download the AMR.

18. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
    does it which way i install them preferably or not?

19. v-zero Guest

It's probably that slow ass RAM. FEAR loves the stuff, it makes a real performance difference. 2GB of pc3200 is smooth on anything 6600gt and above...

20. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
    i don't believe that it is the ram because, not only is fear not running right now game is running right. It has to be the card. look at my 3dmark 05 score

it should be doubled that.

21. LiNKiN

LiNKiN Staff

Thanks Received:
    I dont think so....if it were doubled you would be up to x850 performance which Im sorry but your 8 pipe card isnt gonna score that high. Im not exactly sure which model of card you have but I do know that the 6800xt also comes in 128-bit memory interface. I would say if your card is underperforming, its probably not by much.

22. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
    actually this one is 256 bit, Gddr3, 256 mb. they put a new one on newegg after i bought this one..the one i bought isn't on there anymore..they sold out..nice try though..:)

23. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    sounds about right to me really. via chipsets suck balls when it comes to gaming, always have. doesnt help you have a 1.6ghz cpu (if im not mistaken). the 6800xt is nothing more then a 6600gt with a 256bit bus. not that fast and the memory interface doesnt add a whole lot of speed.

24. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    laggy graphics eh? sounds like gpu throttling.

25. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
    How come that my cpu reads 1.25 ghz on my system specs then.. It has done this before. I reset the jumper on the motherboard once before and it read AMD athlon 2800+ again..wth.

So what do you think I should do, my ATI Radeon 9550 outperforms this card almost. should I send this one back before my 30 days is up, and just save the money for another system and new card?