1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What would you do? (Another E8400 DTS stuck thread)

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Dispatches, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Dispatches New Member

Thanks Received:
    I bought my E8400 in April from Newegg. Ever since then my Core temps have been at 39C for 95% of the 140 days my computer has been running for. It never changes whether I'm playing the games I play, or browsing the net. I know this is a really common issue. I have just been running my E8400 at stock settings inside a Antec 900 case, with an Arctic Cooler 7. I have overkill Case and CPU cooling for stock E8400 settings and i knew the readings weren't accurate, so I didn't worry.

Well I'm in the process of revising my computer setup, and I want to Overclock my E8400. I was basically approved by Intel to RMA my E8400 because of the stuck sensors. Since I am overclocking soon, I want accurate temperatures if at all possible.

I'm just trying to figure out what I'm going to do. Its been a reliable CPU, but I don't want to OC it and have it die due to a false temp reading and then not be able to RMA it. So what would you do if your sensor test looked like this and you had the choice of RMAing it? Aldolfo says they will RMA it, Would you RMA it under my circumstances?
    See attached pictures.

Attached Files:

2. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Yep, I would absolutely RMA it, stuck temp sensors seem like a pretty big deal to me. It would be bad if you didn't know that your computer was overheating ;)

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    The stuck sensors, from what I have seen, are only stuck from going any lower than what they are stuck at. So they will never go below the 39°C you are reading, but once the temp starts to go above that, it will read accurately. Again, I could be wrong, but that is just what I've experienced.

Your sceenshots seem to confirm this, as it is reading a max of 44°C, which means the sensors read accurately past 39°C. If your sensors were completely stuck, then your max and min would be the same 39°C.

Since 39°C is a perfectly safe and acceptable temperature, I wouldn't worry about it. Once it hits 40°C they will become unstuck and read normally, and you aren't even going to begin to worry about temps until past 60°C.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. etrigan420

etrigan420

Thanks Received:
    ^ This.

I would certainly load it up with some OCCT or IBT and see what the temps did before I RMA'd it.

5. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    Like newtekie said, I wouldnt worry to much about it.
    Go ahead and over clock it and see if its reading correctly when you stress test it.
    If they already said they will RMA it for you.
    You might as well see what this puppy will do.
    Thats like a free pass for overclocking. :laugh:

6. Dispatches New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the responses folks. I appreciate it. I'm leaning towards keeping it based all the responses from here and from a few other popular sources.

The CPU has performed great, and it appears to read accurately over 39C. Is a 1-2 week wait really worth possibly the same outcome, or worse? I don't really think so.
    Now if I find out I have a poor Overclocker, or I decided to sell the CPU. Then I guess waiting for an RMA would be worth it.

But I'm still interested in other peoples thoughts. Thanks again.