1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Whats a good PhysX GPU

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Live OR Die, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    okay, figures since physx running on the cpu is quite ancient when it comes to CPU instructions used, and mostly single threaded(both things your i7 does alot better). david kanter wrote a nice piece on the subject a while back at realworldtech iirc.

Anyhow, then it would seem like there is something else the matter indeed! Have you got the right version of physx software? Seems like if you install the newest version physx can also run on your cpu, which it wont with only the physx version provided with the game.
    You might want to try downgrading your physx software to the version that came with the game.
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No, no problems. PhysX is definitely working as it should be.
  3. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    I was thinking of the OP having that problem. But your probably right about it not being physx at all.
    Perhaps some obscure nvidia control panel setting that plays havoc with fps then, or slightly corrupted game files.
  4. MasterGohan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Have to agree here that something seems pretty fishy with that level of performance and your specs. (it's a nice system that should be absolutely 'crushing' Borderlands 2)

--I've been playing the game rather extensively here, fully non-overclocked system. With a single 580 I've had absolutely no problems running 2560x1600 at 60fps (even in combat most of the time) provided that I disable SSAO. Same card performing PhysX computations as being used for rendering. Never seen a dip under 55fps at any time during gameplay.

I've removed one of my two cards from my system until I work out a solution for Windows 8.

Driver: 310.33
    PhysX: 9.12.0904
  5. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    Changing res doesn't seem to affect my frame rate at all stays the same also heres a screen shot of Precision both GPUs are getting used but most of the time there around 60% .

[​IMG]
  6. MasterGohan New Member

Thanks Received:
    --Well, if lowering resolution doesn't help then you at least know that you're not GPU choked in any way, shape, or form.

Absolutely should-not be CPU choked with that processor, but..

Does setting the game to high-priority in task-manager improve performance any? (may if the Windows scheduler is making poor choices .. does immensely in games such as FFXIV and Supcom FA)

I assume that you've already touched all other settings aside from resolution and PhysX, such as view distance. If not, dropping view distance from Very High to "high" will drastically cut CPU load in BL2.

Shouldn't be necessary though as I'm playing on very high with the exception of SSAO. Your CPU overclock I assume is with Turbo disabled, so I'm guessing it can't be a throttling problem.

EDIT:

Just occurred to me. Did you use any of those online config generators? Those caused me major issues, lots of crashes..

If you have, just go into C:\Users\<user>\Documents\My Games\Borderlands 2\WillowGame\Config\
    delete WillowEngine.ini and \LauncherConfig\WillowEngine.ini

Reload the game, and you'll be back to stage one / defaults.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  7. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    Yep I've tried all settings also tried every think on low i get 30 more frames when looking out the Lynchwood station, I get more frames inside because theres less of a view distance i found more people with this problem Google searching i think it may ether be the game or drivers.
  8. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    Just installed natural selection 2 and it request more power than crysis 2 to run i booted it up and put all the settings on max and was getting 40 fps i had to force SLI to increase my frames now i get around 80-90 so i can see my SLI working.
  9. XtrEmE

XtrEmE

Thanks Received:
    I used GTX690 for graphics and GT640 dedicated for PhysX. Choosed that card due to high efficiency (low power consumption + high CUDA cores count).
  10. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    HAHA WTF so old.
  11. XtrEmE

XtrEmE

Thanks Received:
    LoL) Just sharing own experience, dude. Didn't even notice the dates of posts. ;)
    Live OR Die says thanks.
  12. zoomer-fodder

zoomer-fodder

Thanks Received:
    GTX 750 - best PhysX GPU :)
  13. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    8800 GTX lol
  14. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    well afaik anything above a GTX260 was recommended but ... none needed in the end, none of the PhysX needing game i play show major fps drop with a R9 290 and the PhysX calculation made by the CPU (FX-6300)

for his price... no it's the most expensive (albeit power efficient) PhysX dedicated card if used like that.