1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What's a good soundcard?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by hat, May 8, 2010.

1. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    What's a good soundcard? Mine. :D
    hat says thanks.
  2. alexsubri

alexsubri New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow, I'm suprised noboday said Creative SB X-FI...I've been using that for years. Work's amazingly..I have Realtek 7.1 HD now which is from my motherboard, it works okay. Prefer after-market sound cards tho.

I will buying this one next year, as well as some other things too :)

Creative PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series Sound Card

Also, I have been using these speakers for about 4 years and they never let me down!

Creative Inspire I-Trigue 3300 Active 2.1 Acoustic System

[​IMG]
  3. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    Yes, drivers work! unlike creative crap.

;)you should buy my d2x:rolleyes:
    hat says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Did you read the first post? This whole thread's purpose is pretty much to recommend specific sound cards that aren't Creative.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    The DS looks like a nice, cheaper solution. Do you have upmixing support in the drivers?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. roast

roast

Thanks Received:
    What's the ASIO support/performance like on the Xonars?
  7. Ra97oR

Ra97oR

Thanks Received:
    There is bit-prefect auto bitrate matching in Xonar Essence working now, no issues with it at all. Works as intended.
  8. SabreWulf69

SabreWulf69 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I do prefer Dolby Digital for my games over EAX, is subjective as once again most things are with sound. If you had cared to read the numerous reviews of the STX given, then you would have seen that the STX is *almost* on par for games, and superior for music and movies. I do music production and listen to a massive variety of music, and as stated for my uses it suites me perfectly :) I have "bit-perfection" working perfectly too, and don't see how anyone else shouldn't either. For a description of bit-perfect and bit-accurate playback refer to this article --> http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?p=1887477#post1887477
    Last edited: May 10, 2010
  9. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Because STX does have good raw sound quality, but quite crappy sound positioning in games. That's why. And i don't see any comparison between EAX and Dolby Digital. They are both sound technologies but they can't even be compared. Dolby Digital is just an encoder, EAX is an entire sound library that includes 3D sound positioning, reflection, refraction, occlusion, environmental effects etc. Something Dolby Digital doesn't perform on sound. It just encodes it into a specific digital stream. That's all. It's like encoding an MP3. As far as i can see, you can have both on Auzentech X-Fi Forte. All the X-Fi goodies and also DDL! or DTS Connect. Haven't tried it as i don't have reciever at home, but the features are there under Gaming Mode.
  10. SabreWulf69

SabreWulf69 New Member

Thanks Received:
  11. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Erm, no. You read the EAX 1.0 feature set and stopped there. Hardly any game is using EAX 1.0. The biggest EAX boom was with EAX 2.0. And this one also offers material specific effects and occlusion (if something is in the way, the sound is different).
    Most of games developed today use EAX 4.0 HD and some even EAX 5.0 though not so many. Probably because EAX 4.0 is much more widely supported (Audigy 2 up to highest X-Fi models), while EAX 5.0 is only supported on X-Fi cards (excluding X-Fi MB, X-Fi Xtreme Audio and Auzentech X-Fi Bravura).
  12. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    find me a list of modern games (2009-2010) that use EAX 4.0

most games these days use other sound systems, and not EAX.
  13. SabreWulf69

SabreWulf69 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds a lot like PhysX for Sound lol EAX primarily for Creative but can be emulated just like PhysX can be emulated for AMD/ATI. Manufacturer specific technologies like this suck, Dolby Digital may not be the same but the wide acceptance of it should be something Creative need to follow.

Guess thats why they are phasing EAX out if I'm not mistaken, "According to Creative's OpenAL 1.1 specification, EAX should be considered deprecated as developer interface.".

I know it all sounded like MIDI, I work constantly with it, if you don't know what MIDI is, by the way MIDI is data, not audio, OK, maybe EAX is like a Sampler then lol But again I quote "A person who has been exposed to MIDI effects processors will quickly recognize the parameters that EAX controls, and the names of many of the presets."

"The aim of EAX has nothing to do with 3D audio positioning." Also lol the guitar pedals at TAFE have these
    Flange
    Echo
    Distortion

I would personally rather have individual sound systems in games that anyone can run to full advantage being able to see truly what developers can make by themselves unassisted by hardware accelerated EAX.

Alas, re-iterating what I said, ASUS Xonar Essence STX for Music and Movies, and Auzentech Cards using Creative's X-Fi Chipset for your EAX 3.0+ Games, if you can stomach the drivers, which obviously as mentioned from the creator of this thread and just like me, cannot.
  14. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    No, no and again no. Can a guitar pedal perform all 3 effects in mention simultaneously on 128 separate sounds that also take reflection, refraction, occlusion and differentr materials into account? I think it can't. You ppl also don't seem to understand what EAX really is. You think it's just a bunch of post process effects like echo, while in reality that's far from true. What was A3D then? Nothing at all since it wasn't even using any kind of sound post processing apart from sound tracing that doesn't apply environmental effects.

EAX consists of the engine that does the 3D positioning part and the environmental effects.
    That's what EAX really is. But you all throw everything in the same bucket. It's just a bunch of useless effects yadidadida. As a hardocre FPS gamer, i can tell you that nothing comes close to X-Fi in terms of sound positioning. A3D years ago on Vortex 2 chips could compete with it, but nothing else can these days. Not ADI, not C-Media or any other vendor.

I also don't know why all complain about drivers so much. They are updated just as often as ASUS drivers or any others. I also had 5 Creative soundscards from SB Live!, Audigy 2 Value, X-Fi MB, X-Fi Xtreme Music and now Auzentech X-Fi Forte on 3 different platforms, 3 different operating systems (not including 32bit/64bit change) and not a single issue with drivers.
    Days of shitty problems with Creative cards on awful nForce boards are long over.

I don't know why you're (Mussels) spreading this religion about EAX being dead (i just found posts almost 1 year old). It's just not dead.

Look at this if you have hard time understanding EAX:
    http://www.creative.com/soundblaster/technology/welcome.aspx

I currently don't have time to look for the names of the games but i can look in the evening...
  15. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i know exactly what EAX is, and the only reason it ever took off was because when they sponsored someone, they didnt allow the games to do surround sound without EAX.

EAX gives you occlusion*, reverb*, positional audio*, and hardware acceleration^

*all available on other sound engines
    ^only on XP, unless you use alchemy, which is fairly unreliable and is just emulated anyway.
  16. SabreWulf69

SabreWulf69 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thankyou and fully agreed Mussels :)

Eh, if Wikipedia wasn't good enough I'll email Creative and see what they say, there pages are vague at best.

MIDI Basics, MIDI is in simple terms a way to communicate between 2 devices.

I've studied effects at TAFE, the basic parts of reverb contain: Pre-delay, Early Reflections, L.P.F., H.P.F., Reverb Time and "Mix" amount ala how wet or dry a signal is, which in the EAX would all be processed if not EXACTLY the same then very similarly to MIDI. Then there is delay with MIDI, (one sound happens then another follows) Delay-time (ms), Rate, Feedback and Mix, yet again all very familiar sounding with this EAX "Science".

1 byte, 8 bits = 1 MIDI Message or "Voice"

Plus the vague descriptions of specific effects, which some of which still sound like the workings of MIDI commands. Number of voices for one is from MIDI. MIDI can add multiple effects all at one time. MIDI processes the following for example when a key is pressed on a keyboard synth - Note on, Note off, Note that's pressed, Note Velocity and Amount of time note is pressed.

MIDI Is 128 "Voices" being 0-127

Or split into Voices / Channels / Intruments / Channel Messages and other Messages

FlexiFX sounds like a solution for a poorly coded game. With my old stock motherboard soundcard I haven't really noticed my bullets not existing compared to my mates X-Fi. Sounds like all coded game effects, why the heck is EAX so special then, all these new games already do all this, unless the game programmers haven't bothered. What exact point am I missing?

Mod may have to remove thread basher, guy has his views, wants something with upmixing and something like CMSS which sounds something like what DTS Neo PC can achieve or maybe Pro Logic, and you're junking the thread with irrelevant information, please correct me if I'm wrong hat, as I find this has far detracted from the original point of the thread, and am myself guilty of random blabbering on about my sound stuff lol.
  17. Robert-The-Rambler

Robert-The-Rambler

Thanks Received:
    Asus Xonar DS

If you are SOOOOOOO against going with a Creative Labs card then just try out this Asus Xonar DS. It uses DTS NEO PC to mix 2 channel audio to as much as 7.1 and supports 192khz audio over all 7.1 channels. Right now it is about $40 bucks after rebate.

ASUS Xonar DS 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Inter...
  18. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    I don't want to argue because you're clearly against Creative and EAX no matter what, but you again prove that you're mistaken. In modern games, no one is using DirectSound3D as underaying api. OpenAL supported games make use of EAX natively under Vista and Win7.
    I can say for EA that they use OpenAL in nearly all games.
  19. SabreWulf69

SabreWulf69 New Member

Thanks Received:
  20. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    You also have to take into account the fact that anything based on Unreal Engine 3 also supports OpenAL automatically. And we know UE 3 powered games are very common these days.
  21. GotNoRice

GotNoRice New Member

Thanks Received:
    You should look up the Support Pack drivers by Daniel_K. They are not supported by creative but hosted by them none the less. They fixed all of my issues with my X-Fi Titanium.
  22. SabreWulf69

SabreWulf69 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Isn't Unreal Engine 3 able to use OpenAL, DirectSound3D or FMOD?