1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What's causing this BSOD?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by El_Mayo, Dec 6, 2013.

1. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Wow that stinks! You are getting one issue after the other here, I think I would try a fresh install if possible and back up the data you need first and maybe you have access to another PC in order to do that. Just don't go pulling your hair out first!

El_Mayo says thanks.
  2. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    Haven't got the W7 disc to hand at the moment :( this is annoying cos I was trying to solve the occasional crash and now I can't use windows haha

is there a way of posting the minidump files? I'm reading them now but they're quite hard to understand haha

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  3. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
  4. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    it was a matter of disabling verifier.exe in safe mode. I'm back in normal mode but I'd still like to know what was causing the irql crashes the past few days. I think verifier was causing a BSOD because it had found the perpetuating driver, but I can't understand the crash dump so I dont know what it was
    all I know is that it ran on startup

5. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Well at least now your getting some place! Well just open the crash report and highlight all and copy and paste to the forum and maybe someone will be able to help.

6. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
  7. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    Eh, try pastebin next time.

8. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    Now it's telling me "access denied" even tho I could open it before? And I have an administrator account haha

9. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Use bluescreen viewer and it will tell you the faulting or conflicting driver. Most of the time a driver issues a request at a lower (higher priority) IRQ than it or its device has been assigned, due to fubar drivers when written, or resource conflicts with other devices.

El_Mayo says thanks.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  10. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    legend

[​IMG]

how do I stop hal.dll and atikmdag.sys and dtsoftbus01.sys etc. etc. from causing crashes tho?

11. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    El_Mayo says thanks.
  12. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
  13. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:

First, some of this may break some programs, specifically any that are questionable. Second some of the software that we install have bundled programs, and those will hijack your system and by different methods in the OS or higher system executables interfere with the systems functioning and stability.

To start I would use Avast instead of AVG, but that is mostly personal preference.

Uninstall Soluto, its unneeded.

Uninstall/remove the following first trying the Add/remove programs in windows.

Pando Media Booster (A P2P client/server that uses your bandwidth to share game patches/data with peers instead of the primary server)
    Search Protection by Spigot
    Conduit Tool Bar
    AMD Overdrive (reinstall one copy after we are done, you have multiple driver files)

If the above are unavailable we can use the tool to remove the start-up and then delete the files from the system.

Next.

Do you still ahve and or use the HP/Epson Printer?
    Are you using a Brother Printer?
    Are you using Bluetooth?
    Are you using Coretemp?

14. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    Nah not using bluetooth, I use coretemp from time to time

Are some of those what's causing the crashes?

15. markaflias

markaflias

Thanks Received:
    When u got it stable create a restore point and do a copy of your hdd on clonezilla .

16. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Multiple versions of the same driver loading can cause issues, if nothing else it will eliminate crap from your system and rule them out as problematic. Once this is done I might suggest you open a "cmd" window with admin rights and run "sfc /scannow" without the quotes.

It checks system files for corruption, incorrect file version, hijacking and repairs the system if any are found.

El_Mayo and rougal say thanks.
  17. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    thanks. i removed them all except AMD overdrive. can't seem to find that in control panel :(

running system scan now tho, will edit to post results

I've got the CBS.log file but I can't open it or make an archive to upload. It keeps saying "access denied". I dunno what's happened but I think UAC must have messed up or something cos I've been getting a lot of errors related to administrator access recently. I can't play CoD4 because it refused to "write a file". I go to the activision folder and it says read only and I tried changing it but it doesn't work. Maybe I've done something when I was in safe mode but it's acting up

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  18. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
  19. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Run a disk check with both options enabled on all disks. Post the results from your system event logs. Have you deleted the update folders in your windows directory?

El_Mayo says thanks.
  20. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    system event logs? how do I get this? also update folders? where are these both?
    cheers

21. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    If you don't know what they (update folders inside windows directory) are I am guessing you haven't. Some people delete them once the update is done as it saves space on disks, and unless something goes really wrong they are unneeded.

Open my computer-->Right click C:\-->Properties-->Tools tab-->Error checking.

In the new window that pops up check both boxes then click scan. It should wait a second then say something about disk being in use and would you like to schedule it for the next reboot, click yes and the do this same procedure for every hard disk shown.

Reboot.

It should take you through a black screen during your boot that says it will check the disks, and this test may take hours. So run it when convenient.

Once done and back into windows you will open

"eventvwr.msc" without the quotes as an admin.

Click the management tree labeled Windows Logs, then System, and in the list in the center payne find one labeled winlogon, and in the payne below it will list the check log.

Highlight it all and use Ctrl+c to copy, then paste here. Do this for all disks.

El_Mayo says thanks.
  22. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    do you mean like this?
    [​IMG]