1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What's different from normal keyboard to gaming keyboard?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by kurosagi01, May 31, 2009.

1. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys,just wondering what difference are there from a normal keyboard to a gaming keyboard?? i was thinking about buying a new keyboard but i was wondering whats the difference between a normal and gaming??

2. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    I have no idea. I'm using a generic keyboard since like ever, and its suitable for gaming.
    I'm suspecting a marketing trick?

As long as you're comfortable with the board, its perfect imho.

Edit: On the technical site; "Gaming" keyboards often feature additional keys, like makro keys of special keys that work like the f-keys. I have said keys a lot, didn't I.

3. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    Gaming keyboards often have a variety of programmable keys for use in or out of game. They are often backlit, and may feature a thicker coating of paint on the most used gaming keys (w,a,s,d,space). They're also more suitable for long time use by (usually) being built in a more robust fashion, and are made so that they won't hurt the user's hands after a period of long use. Gaming keyboards can also come with a variety of useful features from a windows key disable switch to a LCD screen.

Cronic and crazy pyro say thanks.
  4. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    e-peen

5. Naekuh

Naekuh New Member

Thanks Received:
    the best keyboards i feel are gaming keyboards because they were designed for gamers in mind.

Other then an office secretary whose underpaid and overworked, i doubt any other profession will have more on time with a keyboard then a gamer.

To me if you look at a high tier gaming keyboard, theres no competition.
    I gave 2 of my office admins a Razor tarantula's and they will shoot you if you take the keyboard away.

If your in the possition where your gonna be on the keyboard a lot, i highly recomend u pick up a gamer keyboard even tho you dont game.

iandh says thanks.
  6. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    I think its just ghosting really

7. LittleLizard

LittleLizard

Thanks Received:
    if u dont play wow or any other rpg that requires large amount of macros thingies, you will be fine with a normal keyboard.

8. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    It is the E-Peen factor of the key board .

9. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    most people probably think what makes a gaming keyboard are macros and back lighting but I think the type of switches is far more important build quality is also important it's kinda hard to damage a piece of plastic but one thing that always bothers me is when the key caps are made out of a cheap plastic instead of a thermo plastic or painted because paint fades after time it's not a exact science it can take 6 months or 4 years but fade is inevitable, laser etched key caps never fade not even after 20 years.

Buckling Spring (IBM Model M, Unicomp)
    [​IMG]

Scissor Switch (usually found in slim Keyboards like Mac, Laptop, Logitech DiNovo, Enermax Aurora and Enermax Caesar)
    [​IMG]

Alps Switch (Dell AT101W, Solidtek 6600 Series, ABS M1, Mattias Tactile Pro 2.0 and the Kinesis Evolution)
    [​IMG]

Dome Switch (usually found in just about every Keyboard including the Logitech Gaming Series, Saitek Eclipse Series, Razer Tarantula and Lycosa)
    [​IMG]

Mechanical Switch (Compaq 11800 & G80-3000, iOne Scorpius M10 & 35, Das Series, Filco Series, Deck Series, SteelSeries 6 & 7G and the Gigabyte GK-K8000)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2009
    psyko12, AsRock, Kenshai and 2 others say thanks.
  10. PCpraiser100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Having a gaming keyboard is like having a Ferrari to race with, not a Honda Civic. In other words, it is built for power-using and comfort despite the looks. If you are looking for hardcore, get a keyboard that has a vinyl or rubber surface to prevent intake of sweat on the keys and miss-types. It also includes more nice features than your average microshaft like media buttons so no exiting the game to change music, programmable keys to prevent headaches in WoW, and USB ports, headphone jacks to allow easy access overall. No doubt about it, I would take a gaming keyboard everywhere for computing.

11. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    I should of said this yesterday would of made me a lot less enemies :D

Logitech is like McDonald's Just because McDonald's sells the most burgers in the world, do they make the best burger? no. there is technology and build quality far greater than Logitech in fact I can't think of a Keyboard worse than Logitech and if you guys think so highly of Logitech then that should be taken as a compliment but I put Logitech at the low end of Keyboards you can buy because there is nothing lower than a plastic housing with rubber domes switches.

12. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    My Razer Arctosa was wonderful, slim, sleek, sensitive, and had macro capabilities, unfortunately I had no use for the macros so I sold it to Xazax. The ONLY function of a gaming keyboard, for me at least, is the macro capability and antighosting, but you can get an antighosting keyboard for pocket change.

Gaming surfaces are useless unless you have a good gaming mouse to go along with it. You can really feel the textural difference between a gaming mouse and a normal mouse.

13. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    yes but there is a program called AutoHotKey that can create more sophisticated macros and profiles than what the Logitech drivers can do and you can use it on any keyboard. the Gigabyte GK-K8000 is the first Mechanical Keyboard to use dedicated Macros or G-Keys if your not sold on Mechanical Keyboards read the review which is excellent by the way, only problem is it's very hard to find in the stores only Australia and Canada carry it.

intel igent says thanks.
  14. t77snapshot

t77snapshot

Thanks Received:
    I think the only sweet feature a gaming keyboard has is this> [​IMG]...........and they look cool, but it's not worth the $$$, I don't play rpg games either.

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    you can also get a Matrix Orbital or Alphacool Internal or External LCD they have a price tag but are capable of doing a lot more than the LCD on the G15.

16. t77snapshot

t77snapshot

Thanks Received:
    Holy crap that expensive:eek: I just use Riva-tuners OSD for my temps,fps, etc.

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. DreamSeller Guest

18. t77snapshot

t77snapshot

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    quality, features.

Check out my two: Logitech Dinovo edge (less gaming, more.... awesome and expensive) and the Saitek Eclipse II - simple, durable, LED's for nighttime/LAN gaming.

20. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    well i was looking at the razer arctosa silver edition,it drawed my attention..so did the black edition but people say its hard to see the notes cos its just jet black coating

21. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    If the keyboard has a calculator button, I'm happy. I go nutty without my calculator button. :(

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    my saitek doesnt have one :( made me sad too.

23. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    lol i got a calculator button on my current keyboard which i don't really use..but yeah what you guys think of the arctosa keyboard?? i really like it since it looks like its big brother the lycosa? would you reconmend to get silver edition or black edition??

24. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i've never found a razer product i actually liked, so i've got no comment on their new stuff.

25. DreamSeller Guest

lol that Logitech G15 is like 100 bux cheapest i could find ... :\