1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What's so wrong/risky about trying to flash a HD6950?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by ToTTenTranz, Jan 5, 2012.

1. ToTTenTranz

ToTTenTranz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey,

Being the recent purchaser of a XFX HD6950 with a non-standard PCB (the only one that would fit my HTPC case), I've wondered if I'll be able to flash it to a HD6970 (I've seen a statement in this forum from someone who successfully flashed it).

However, I've also seen many statements discouraging the BIOS flash.. and I don't really get why.
    As long as we have another card/IGP, aren't we able to flash the card back to its original BIOS, even if it gets bricked?
    At least that's how it was back in my HD3870/HD4890 flashing times..

Sure, it's a marginal upgrade, but if it's free, why not? What am I missing?
  2. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    The only negative I know of is that flashing to a 6970 can damage your vram. That's why now everyone just unlocks the shaders with a modified 6950 bios.
  3. Jarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    yer id like to do the 6950 i have too (one of the originals), but was put off when people started to get problens with nenory (the reason i cant use a certain key is that ny keybaord is danaged, sounds like in typing with a cold lol.)
    Frick says thanks.
  4. ToTTenTranz

ToTTenTranz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I can just modify the bios through w1zzard's hack application (I couldn't do it any other way since there's no HD6970 with that PCB).

But the comments I've seen seem to suggest it might be permanently fatal to the graphics card, and I'd like to know if this is really true.
  5. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    basically some of the cards were locked to 6950 for a reason, and they'll error or outright die if you flash them.

you cant really be sure if yours is a bad one or not, so people recommend against it. i think what a lot of people did was unlock the shaders but leave the rest at stock (modding your original BIOS), for a performance boost without the risk of frying RAM/VRM