1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What's the better coolant type for i7-4790k Water/Air?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by sebastian869, Aug 30, 2014.

1. sebastian869

Thanks Received:
    Basically WHICH is the better CPU Coolant something like a Corsair H100i or Noctua NH-D15? The premise is just to find out if water cooling or air cooling is best, not the models of represented.
    P.S. Guess to the same point is positive over pressure case better than negative pressure?

2. XL-R8R

XL-R8R

Thanks Received:
    Here we go again. :shadedshu:

Which is better? Thats a little subject, but both have merits.

Water is 'technically' better' but air is 'technically' more reliable and isnt too far off in raw performance either.

For a person as, apparently, clueless as you (2908 cross-forum topics?) make out you are; just stick to air.

INSTG8R says thanks.
  3. broken pixel

broken pixel

Thanks Received:
  4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I could just look up reviews on the coolers, but that would take the fun out of it for you.

5. broken pixel

broken pixel

Thanks Received:
    ^ What an asshat remark, not everyone is a hardware pro. The OP could of used a search engine, yet I am sure he wanted feedback from forum members.

Don't be an asshat!

6. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Have you seen any of the threads he has made?

adulaamin, XL-R8R and INSTG8R say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Nope, but I have sure seen some of the ones you've made, and sometimes they aren't much better. :p

ROFL.

Polling popular response on multiple forums is how I'd do it, personally...get all the info you can, find the commonalities, then make choices. It's not HIS fault you guys also visit all the other forums as well. :p

Maybe I just like this guys because he irks you guys, and has the same name as my son... oh... wait a minute...

:pimp:

manofthem and Kursah say thanks.
  8. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    He irks because he consistently makes constant generalized "Is this better..." threads. Sometimes multiple threads with the same questions. Just check his posting history. It's like he has never heard of Google before...

manofthem, XL-R8R and MxPhenom 216 say thanks.
  9. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    If you don't like it, don't reply, scroll on past and get over it. Pretty simple.

You are not obligated to get frustrated and post a response. Granted yes it can be annoying when someone isn't willing to help themselves, it is a good idea to help teach them the ways. That's what TPU is about, it's not about being rude or getting overly frustrated at a very simple help-seeking thread. This forum would not be the best place on the web (in my experience) if it had people replying like this in every help thread.

TPU IS ABOUT HELPING OTHERS, not pissing and moaning that they don't ask questions that meet your expectations...

:toast:

Onto the OP and his topic, honestly I prefer air just for the sake of serviceability and that even if my fan dies I still have decent cooling due to the airflow of the case. I don't like the AIO watercooling units for my personal rigs, at least yet. Sure I've been tempted, but in my research, my Noctua U14S was on-par with the larger D14 and the H100i, or very close, for less $$$.

It comes down to many things, your case, it's airflow, how you have it setup or modified, are you going to care about noise when the fans ramp up? Are you going to do Push-Pull? Do you want complications and are you ready for them when they occur?

The simplest solution that will still be effective is a good air cooling single-tower solution. Sure the D15 is a beast and will keep your CPU very cool, but it can create access issues to other parts of your board.

There is a lot to think about beyond just the cooling. I would recommend you research both coolers, and look at not just Google as frustratingly suggested above, but also Google Images for pictures where both coolers are installed in similar setups as what you have or plan on using.

As you build your plan and detail it here, we can assist you educating yourself to making the best decision for you. None of us can tell you one is the best...I don't prefer AIO solutions like the H100i, but many do over air. There's more risk with an AIO imho, that makes it not worth it...get at least a H220 system imho. Or better yet, run a few degrees C warmer and run on AIR cooling and have less worries about reliability.

I prefer Negative air pressure because that means that there's more exhaust fans...which leads to air being pulled in from more areas. This provides better cooling in my experience but also creates a dustier case and components to clean more frequently. A positive pressure case will have more intakes, so those areas where are was incoming is now exhausting. This is not as effective at exhausting hot air in MOST situations. It all comes down to case design, component placement, overclocking, ambient (room) temperatures, fan speed, etc.

cadaveca says thanks.
  10. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    You can't really knock him for asking questions. As far a H100i vs NH-D15. The water cooler is a cleaner look. Slightly better cooling. I'm going AIO cooling everytime

11. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    I probably wouldnt go H100i though, rather bump it up to H105, or one of NZXTs new X41/61.

I definitely prefer AIO now, allows better memory options with tall heatsinks, etc. and cleaner/nicer look, and solid cooling performance. Can be quieter too.

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I prefer the AIO coolers like my Corsair H70, for many reasons...

• Cooling performance that usually beats the high end air coolers
    • Takes up less room... resulting in cleaner look, less stuff in the way of case airflow
    • Less weight on the motherboard because the waterblock doesn't weigh near as much as a huge air cooler

RealNeil says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  13. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, but at the same time, maybe he values your opinion, but doesn't have anything other than generalized knowledge of hardware. I mean, you ask me a question, any question, and I think it's generalized too. Barely ANYONE knows ram clocking and timings like I do, but I still offer answers. Not everyone geeks out on this stuff like we do. That's all I'm saying.

RealNeil and manofthem say thanks.
  14. manofthem

manofthem WCG-TPU Team All-Star!

Thanks Received:
    @cadaveca Dave, we are all like ropes on the Goodyear blimp compared to you ;)

Thanks for your patience. I came to TPU more than 3 years ago looking for help, and I've appreciated all the help I've received :respect:

That's all I have to offer :laugh:

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. RealNeil

RealNeil

Thanks Received:
    I have four AIOs here. All of them are pretty good as long as you match them properly to the CPU you want to cool.

My New Style Corsair H50 is cooling a Pentium G3258 Unlocked CPU in a small M-ITX case and it has two fans on it. It works good.

There is a fairly new Corsair H80 cooling a i7-2600K system. (in push/pull too)

An old Asetek 570LX 240mm AIO is cooling my FX-8350 System. (with four Cougar Vortex PWM fans)

And a SilverStone Tundra TDO2 AIO is cooling an i5-4690K CPU Box. (with four fans also)

All of them seem to do a good job for me, but I've heard a lot of good about Noctua coolers and Phanteks too.

The AIOs usually leave a little more clearance for mounting your RAM on your motherboard. People say that they're weary of leaks destroying their computer, but all of the ones that I have had (several) have never leaked a drop.

16. XL-R8R

XL-R8R

Thanks Received:
    There's 'geeking out' and then there's starting the same exact topic on 5+ (I think it was more.. it was for the last 4 - 6 topics he made...) forums asking the same question that 98% of the time, has already been answered, explained, documented and run over so many times it looks like a piece of road-kill. :twitch:

That being said, if he were to spend 1/10th of the time it takes him to start this thread (and its 5+ clones) doing a quick Google search for the answer to "whats better corsair h100 or noctua d15" or even "review" at the beginning of that question, he'd get his answer 10x over and be more informed in a clearer way than he ever could be by trying to understand 120 peoples views across 5+ different forums by asking such a generalized and personal question such as 'whats better - water or air?'.

A quick Google search for this thread title indicated that he had already started this exact same topic in no less than 6 other places!

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?p=36665609
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=3675087
    http://hardware.forumsee.com/a/m/s/...-better-coolant-type-for-4790k-water-air.html
    http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?p=787131
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2280650/coolant-type-4790k-water-air.html
    http://av.techassistbox.com/whats-the-better-coolant-type-for-i7-4790k-waterair_3091508.html

So lets assume he gets 100 replies, he reads them all and everyone of the people involved has a different opinion or answer. Is that REALLY helping him or does it just make his limited understanding of the nature of things even more clouded than it was in the first place, leading to even more confusion and mixed up ideas?

Pointing this guy towards searching Google for reviews on products, OR even looking here for reviews is going to help him a wholeeee lot more (in my tiny opinion, no less) than filling his mind with yet more confusing stories about "XX product being the best but dont buy XX!". When hes got his parts at the side of him and needs help getting it all together and running smoothly, I'd be the first to help out and more than glad to assist this poor fellow.... right now, we're just making things more difficult for him.

And for the "TPU is about helping others" crowd above; least yee people forget that while paying this guy attention like flies around crap, countless other unique-to-TPU threads go ignored, due partly to this.

I also tried to help the guy in my first post by being as clear, quick and least technically minded that I could be while trying to get my point across that he should stick to air. :lovetpu:

manofthem, Kursah and INSTG8R say thanks.
  17. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Jesus what a whore lol

18. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    THIS! +1 :rockout:

I agree with, I also think that people should give their personal experienced opinions too, that's half the reason of tech forums and where others learn and are learning is by others experience. Even those lurkers that end up here via Google or clicking around.

If people are going to take the time to flame him, at least refer him how to research. Even if he is asking help on every tech forum account he has, has anyone provided this exact solution? Nope. That's why this place should be helping him, that's WHY TPU is about helping others instead of flaming. We should be the ones standing out in the crowd of tech forums like it has been since the dawn of TPU.

It pays as much as giving negative attention to and flaming the OP of this thread. Wasting resources is wasting resources no matter what side you're on. Might as well make it helpful instead of of more crap...there's enough of that on the interwebz already.

The flies can't help but circle this kind of sh!t in the first place....hopefully a couple end up being helpful. Others will be here, members or not, and at least having some donations of knowledge would be a plus. Even if it's "here's how to search with Google 2014 101" :toast:

Aaaaaand On Topic...again. :D

My one rebuttal to those that run AIO's is service issues... the fan goes out, sure you will be ok until you shut down...but what happens when the pump dies? Especially when it's integrated. Or a leak happens. I've seen too many of these AIO's come through my shop and both of those seem to be far more common than the fan failing...even when the RAD is clogged with fur, dust, ash, etc.

What can one do when the pump fails? Is there any kind of failover? That's one nice thing about air cooling...sure I wouldn't want to game on Crysis 3 or run OCCT/AIDA AVX tests for long w/o a fan...but I could and it would work and keep me within the throttling limit.

That's where I'd rather see someone spend money on a kit that can be expandable, or more easily add a pump to should the OE unit go tits up. Honestly if going water, I gotta say to me it makes more sense to spend the money and build a custom kit. Otherwise, unless you're one to tear down yearly or so, it might make more sense to go air. This is just my perspective on it as a builder and repair tech. But I see for too many custom builds with these AIO's failing...and everyone is soooo happy when I slap an EVO 212 in and they're off to the races. Makes me very leery of spending less than at least $200 on water cooling honestly.