1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What's the Max "Safe" Temp. Range For GUP'S

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Rainmann420, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Rainmann420

Rainmann420 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hay Guys,
    Just Built my new System See Left menu for details, I have the gigabyte 8600gt with passive cooling and lovin it. Even though this is my 3rd system that i have built over the years, it is the first that i want to OC. So here is my question what Temps are good for for the GPU or should i say safe right now i have not OC and like i said the cards have Heatpipe Tech on them and factory settings are as follows Core 600Mhz and Memory 720Mhz running at 40C to 45C with my nForce at 55C to 68C ? And i am getting some good (well i think) benchmarks.
    Second i was thinking about adding them to my Water cooling loop before i OC if i need to keep temps down does anyone know will the water blocks for the 8800gts work on these cards as i cant see much difference between the the two cards but what the hell do i know.... Cheers guys
  2. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    passive cooling is NOT reccomended for oc'ing it would be best to have it actively cooled or in your w/c loop, for compatibility check the websites of your favorite maufacturers

:toast:
  3. Rainmann420

Rainmann420 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah Cheers Intel,
    Thats why i was wondering about the temp range for the GPU as i know they run hotter than a CPU but realy don't know what area they should stay in. I just did some OC on them today to see how they would run and how much heat they would put out both into the GPU and my Case. They are stock clocked at 600Mhz clock and 720Mhz Memory i got them OC'ed to 680Mhz and 890Mhz running at 55c which i dont think is to bad and i think i will put them in the loop soon but i still would like to know what the temp range is...
  4. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    not to shure what the max safes are for your particular card but if you take a quick trip to your manufacturers website it should have all of the detailed info that you require.

that looks like a heck of an oc! g/j :rockout:

have you tested it for stability?

how long were you stressing it?

that temp was loaded or idle?

:toast:
  5. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    keep it under 80C load and you will see no issues with it if you want a higher clock strap a 80-120mm fan onto the HS and watch your temps drop ;)