1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

whats the "standard" amount of ram required?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by keakar, Jan 2, 2010.

1. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    i havent payed much attention to it and things have gone way up in ram capacity lately but what do you really need?

my listed specs are accurate and im about to upgrade to windows 7 home premium 64bit because its time and so i can get the full use out of the 4gb of ddr2 in my system right now

is 4gb ram fine for windows 7 or is there some benefit of having more that i will see a "realistic" benefit i get out of buying 4gb more to have 8gb ram?

also note that my board is limited to only using ddr2 1066 ram and a max capacity of 8gb

i'm thinking of adding a couple more 2x2gb=4gb sticks to max it out (4x2gb=8gb) but i dont know if there is any resale value for getting me my money back on this ram down the line so before i spend another $100 on ddr2 ram i want to know i will be really using this extra ram somehow.

i use my computer for basic office type stuff and light gaming but thats about it.
  2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    For basic tasks and gaming 4GB is plenty.

If you did CAD or image editing you might need more.
    keakar says thanks.
  3. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    4gb is more than enough for most needs, it should still be ample for another few years.

Edit: Sneeky beat me
    keakar says thanks.
  4. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    If your on XP Pro 32 then 4GB is 512MB too much...but its ok.
    keakar says thanks.
  5. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    ok, thanks guys :toast:

i assumed it was still too early to really be using all of that ram but i wanted to ask just to be sure because i see lots of ads with computers selling with 8gb ram these days

@ Fourstaff - yep, i kinda had in mind to get a new 3ghz+ I-7 rig in 2 years when i can build it when the prices are way cheaper
  6. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Depends on the platform you're using. LGA1366 current normal minimum is 6GB (for triple channel).
    For all other platforms it's 4GB (dual channel). You can use less, but that wouldn't make much sense these days.
    keakar says thanks.
  7. smashed_99cbr New Member

Thanks Received:
    4GB if dual channel

6GB if tri-channel

however it never hurts to run more ram
    keakar says thanks.
  8. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Wallet will hurt!:(
    keakar says thanks.
  9. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    4GB is the sweet spot for gaming these days. fits every modern game with room to spare for the OS and background apps.

6-8GB is great for power users such as myself, who run 50 firefox tabs and reboot their PC maybe once a month.
    keakar says thanks.
  10. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    i reinstall windows once a month... perhaps i need to tone that down, however keeps me from needing pesky virus scans lol.

as for the ram, 4GB is plenty for almost all uses, i would stick with that, and x64 windows is pretty much a must these days as more and more becomes supported. i'd stick with that and you'll be fine.
    keakar says thanks.
  11. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    reinstall? lol. i mean reboot as in turn off.
    keakar says thanks.
  12. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    i knows, i'm just playin, i have a horrible habit of reinstalling windows litterally once a month, i feel that all the tweaking and overclocking trashes the os, so for the first few months after i get new tech the installs are frequent, i usually just ghost the image on to save the trouble but still i reinstall windows as much as you reboot lol
    keakar says thanks.
  13. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    lol thats why i dont tweak the OS. i leave it all stock except for cosmetic stuff (changing how start menu/task bar works, background pics, that kind of thing)

I find if it you dont go sticking your fingers in somethings innards, it lives longer.

(as for the OCing, hey, thats what dual boot is for - OC testing :D )
    keakar says thanks.
  14. Weer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Running any modern game will feel claustrophobic with 4GB.

Crysis used to get me to 3.5GB, so I bought 8GB 2 years ago.
    keakar says thanks.
  15. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    crysis was well ahead of its time in requirements, if nothing else. Not many games use that much ram, since they physically cant unless they're x64
    keakar says thanks.
  16. kyle2020 Guest

Most I ever use is 60 odd % ram usage, thats with 4GB installed, any more and your wasting money tbh.
  17. [H]@RD5TUFF

Thanks Received:
    Windows 7 is far more memory efficient than XP or Vista ( Vista was a memory hog ) More ram is never a bad thing, but the reality is you will not come close to needing more than 4 GB, honestly you would be better served by grabbing ram with faster speed and better timings than getting slower ram but getting more of it, now that said more ram is never a bad thing. Now if your going i7, that means you have a choice, P55 (dual Channel) or X58 ( tri Channel ), now while tri channel has more bandwidth and there is a noticeable difference in performance, P55 is not exactly slow. But if you use Windows 7 with 4 gigs, you will have very little trouble, doing just about anything you like.
  18. Easo

Easo

Thanks Received:
    IMHO
    2GB-Office, videos, light gaming.
    4GB-usual ammount for gaming (easily to fill actually)
    8GB-for da future, and da heavy editing..things...
  19. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    I,m at 4 gigs of ram and wonering why the hell i did that...should have buy aa better video card instead...when your hardware is not doing bottleneck your OS dont rush much so need less ram
  20. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Standard would be 4GB, I'm moving onto 8 in the near future just for the heck of it since I expect my system to last me a good few years.
  21. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    I do the same. Especially if I encounter more than 5 random crashes.

I'd say 4gb is enough for most people but I use 6gb because I'm like mussel's I have multiple game's running at times.
  22. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    2GB for the typical office pc... word processing, intarwebz, etc.

4GB for the typical gaming pc (or 6GB if you're on the i7 platform—tri channel)

8GB for very heavy multitasking, running two instances of crysis at once.

If you want more memory, you need to move to a 64 bit operating system first...

quick question since we're talking about tri channel on the i7... can you use dual channel with the i7, or is it either single channel or tri channel?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. patheticcockroach New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's pretty much it. Also, I'm surprised nobody suggested that already, but just run your maximum expected load (for me it would me sth like 3 browsers with quite a few tabs, OpenOffice, Crysis Warhead plus a few small things running at the same time), open the task manager and see how much RAM it takes. This will give you a good idea of what you really need.

Apparently they say it works in dual channel too: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Intel-Core-i7-Nehalem,2057-5.html
  24. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    IMHO for the gamers with windows XP 2GB is enough, never got more then 1.7GB RAM used in any game. Thats with seamonkey open with a few tabs and MSN running with a few convos.
    Windows 7/Vista 4GB of RAM would be more then enough. Regardless if your using 32 or 64bit. Windows 7 you could get away with 2GB but only just, it be the Min id go with it. IMO
  25. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    Yes it does. It even does single channel.
    hat says thanks.