1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What's with consoles?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Thetimewarp, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Thetimewarp

Thetimewarp New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is there some way to dedicate a PC to playing games, like a console? Will some kind of software tweak allow me to do this or are games just coded poorly for windows which is why they require better hardware to run on windows?

2. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Huh? Your question confuses and scares me.

A traditional desktop processor is capable of a lot more stuff than similar chips in a console. Much like a server processor may have a reduced instruction set (RISC) because it only needs to perform a certain function well. As it goes PCs do play games very well because they've vastly improved the graphics subsystems in recent years while maintaining the PC's innate ability to do almost anything.

That help?

Thetimewarp says thanks.
  3. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    I dont see this thread going anywhere good...

4. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    i thin he means can he by-pass Windows so the game loads up like a console. and besides, they only run poorly on a low-spec PCs.

Thetimewarp says thanks.
  5. Thetimewarp

Thetimewarp New Member

Thanks Received:
    You don't seem too confused in your answer. And scared? Don't worry dude it's the internet.

Yes!

:toast:

streetfighter 2 says thanks.
  6. Thetimewarp

Thetimewarp New Member

Thanks Received:
    What mean brother?

7. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Actually it's a rather profound question. PC's carry so much baggage from the ability to do so many different things, supporting 1000's of different harware types. Most of this support stems from a combination of the hardware and the operating system (AKA Windows). Then you get into specific software functions for hardware, such as graphic cards that in turn support DirectX, OpenGL... OpenCL, these are known as "drivers".

Consoles, on the other hand, are designed as a single system with little variation in internal hardware, little support of additional external hardware, and programs that are written for the custom operating system and hardware within the platform. It keeps them simple, and generally more reliable. The problem is they simply can't do as much, or support much in the way of custom hardware... unless someone is clever enough to write drivers to do that, and in most cases they won't because they won't make money.

So to answer your question, they really are two different things. You certainly can choose to dedicate a PC as a gaming machine, but you won't get much out of it unless you install a version of Windows (XP, Vista, 7)... then you're stuck with all the baggage that comes with it.

... I hope that helps.

Thetimewarp says thanks.
  8. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    You can make your own XP with nlite, or use the (hope I don't get in trouble for mentioning this) "XP Performance Edition" (unofficial). It's XP with everything ripped out of it and it's meant solely for gamers. I used it for gaming up until I switched to Win 7 x64.

Thetimewarp says thanks.
  9. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    i think you have it backwards games are coded to run on crap consoles and sometimes ported to milk more cash from the pc users, ex- MW2

Play Bad Company 2 in dx11 on a pc then play it on conslow, after that i think you will have your answer.
    If not do a quick check of how many ppl can play in a COD server PC vs Conslow

After that consider my computer has never RRoD'ed or flashed intermittent yellow,red light and refused to do anything.

10. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    your answer was great ... and it was a good enough question... i just think "profound" is a little generous. I would hope most of us would at least recognize this, if not think a little deeper on it.
    but the idea only goes so deep. on the surface it's exactly as you say. the only other level is the recognition that they are all machines doing the same thing - it's what you program them with that makes the difference.
    after that... what else is there to it? profound hints that is some deep discussion, intense and full of insight. not that this was a bad question - it just isn't "profound"

and i am sorry... i just have this thing for words :(

and the only reason shibdib said what he did (i imagine) was because of the potential for yet another flamewar ... but truthfully i don't see that happening here.

11. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    please keep this conversation civil.

i think the OP means putting something together like an HTPC but for games.

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Thetimewarp

Thetimewarp New Member

Thanks Received:
    I guess what I really meant was, given the 'good' performance of consoles based on their hardware in games, to what extent can I dedicate my PC to games although being limited by some things. Sorry if there's any ambiguity there.

13. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    i am sure there is some way to build a program that loads on boot in windows, bypasses all the lame security features, and brings up a GUI that lists all of your games. then you can just use a gamepad and scroll through your games. it is a pretty neat idea actually.

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, but WTF are you talking about? :D

15. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You can completely dedicate you computer to gaming. Just don't use it for anything else.
    You will still need some flavor of Windows (or another OS) though.

16. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    steam havent made their own OS just yet, but they are thinking of it, i read somewhere

try cloud gaming ;)

17. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    no i get it... and believe - have thought about it before ...

the problem is that you need windows to play the game. and the versions that work with windows are coded that way.

if you had access and ability to rewrite/mod the code in all the games to work with your custom system, it is feasible that you could get many to run on slower hardware... but then you would have built a new console, when there are already good ones.

as far as windows only software goes - for an extra 1-200USD you can turn that custom low-power hardware into something much better, still small, and able to play most games at low settings.

so the way i see it the market already has it's machines in different segments. one machine to replace both would not be feasible - and there is no need for something else in the middle. they effectively separate the market between power and ease of use - there's really not much left to be done , except advance those segments imo.

that's pretty easily done and not, i think, what he meant.

18. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    The answer to Timewarps original question indeed lies in a custom OS. But you're still facing the problem of support for 1000's of differenct peices of hardware. That's where MS wins (unfortunately).

19. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    i believe you could create a program that runs on windows but strips out all the gui BS and replace it with a sleek and lite gui for gaming. it would require some illegal coding of windows 7 but it certainly can be done.

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    what was the name of that cloud gaming service, it means you can play anthing at full FPS without a PC

21. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    There was mention above of something similar. It'd be quite the chore, and to optimise, much in the way of background services to kill or remove. Just don't install iTunes on it! LOL.

22. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Onlive?

Phxprovost says thanks.
  23. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    onlive?
    edit: cd beat me to it

@OP
    I really dont understand what your trying to do, if you want to dedicate a rig to gaming do it, there is software that can strip down all processes not needed for gaming but i have yet to see any proof that it actually does anything
    performance wise
    edit 2: something like this?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
    CDdude55 says thanks.
  24. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    thats it, thats what the OP should try :toast:
    them bastards wouldn't let me join the beta, because i was british, facist punks :shadedshu

25. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    That's if he has a good connection, they wouldn't even let me install the app because it detected how crappying my connection was.:ohwell: