1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What's with this oc?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Pinscher, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Pinscher

Thanks Received:
    So I've OC'd my FX-6300 to 4.6Ghz and with little effort I will add. I ever reorganized the air flow in my case to cool my VR's.

My question is, why are nerds bothering to run programs that force high temps and strain their CPU's beyond common usage? "Prime 95" When I run this program it destroys my computer no different than if i hammered on the case with the purpose to seize my car engine... Obviously the cooling solution will fail and it will lock the system up. I have to unplug the power to recover.....I just change my liquid cooler exhaust around so it exhausts out the top instead of the back of my case in order to get my voltage regulators extra air flow. This has reduced my VR temps to equal my cpu temps. The result is an extra 100Mhz at a lower voltage...

If I don't bother to worry about running "prime 95" my system can run an extra 300 Mhz in all of my programs/appz and they run stable as long as needed. My computer will run stable for as long as I can stand to test them, 3 hours plus, in stressing with AIDA64. On the other hand, Prime95 does not. It crashes and wtf?

I've spent about 6 hours figuring out the FX world and my conclusion is... The FX CPUs are FuN as FuK to play with, but I've concluded that running stress programs are a waste of time.

All of my every day apps, programs, benchmarks and games run better and on higher OC's than any stressing programs perform.*

I'm currently waiting on some silver compound to arrive before I do any other mods to my system. Currently I run 4.6 Ghz on my FX 6300 (2wk old), and at 30%+ OC I'm super impressed with my system's capabilities....

I try my best to get the best OC for my buck and nearly all the advice I get from reading forums is irreverent because when followed it I get reduced results form my every day applications. If I ignore all advice I receive from OCer's I gain performance and higher scores from any bench marking software. SO why are all of the OC nerds claiming awesome about low temps on stressing apps when it's bull stress testing any how?

I find it extremely frustrating and it makes me lose faith in the OC community. A community I've been apart of since the Celron 300

In the end, anyone that buys a consumer CPU is a every day user.
    so what's up?

What is the bottom line?
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  2. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    They do that to make sure they are stable under all conditions. If stress testing brings your system down you're living at the edge. Fast forward a couple of months when the dust is building up, heat is rising and you find yourself having to lower the clocks just be stable under your common use.

When I was overclocking that was why I did it anyway. Plus you can say you have a truly stable system. Your system is not stable if it can't do everything you tell it to.

EDIT: And you say you've been part of that community since the first Celeron and NOW you ask this? :p

EDIT again: But yeah some programs are extreme and are not realistic, so you can go a bit higher. I wouldn't go as high as just under the "can't boot" threshold though.
  3. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Cool story Bro. Come back and talk to us after you have been working on a school/work project for hours, or even days, and just before you finish it, you get a BSOD and lose all the work you were doing. That's the kind of stuff that happens when your computer is not 100% stable.
    Vario says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Frick

Thanks Received:
    That is more a story about the necessity of backups and regular saves. Crashes can happen on healthy systems too.
  5. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    If it's not stable running Prime95, then it's not stable. Eventually you may run some other program that will yeild the same results.
  6. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    How often have you had a crash on a healthy system? Don't think I've ever had a crash on a healthy system that wasn't OC caused.
    animal007uk says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    When you run your PC over a few days crunching numbers, only to find the memory bugged halfway through. Or crashing just before you kill that lass boss, resulting in party teamwipe. Plenty of reason to test for stability before something bad happens.
  8. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Seriously? You have never had a problem with hardware, or corrupt software? Not to mention crashes related to bad power.. A better way to put it would probably be "a healthy system might become unhealthy".

EDIT: But I do sort of agree that running Prime95 for a week to test for stability is extreme, and is sort of close to running Furmark for days to test for stability. It's not realistic. It shouldn't be ignored totally though, and it does sound like the OP goes to high.
  9. andrewsmc

andrewsmc

Thanks Received:
    First off I think its funny how you keep referring to OCers, or PC inclined individuals as "nerds"

Mr.

Maybe if you had any idea what you WERE TRYING to talk about you would not sound so uneducated on the topic, and just be on TPU.com ranting because your frustrated that you cant make your PC properly overclocked. :rolleyes:

Frankly, your annoying the hell out of me and I will stop entertaining your amusement before I really give you a piece of my mind. Grow up and learn to talk to people like your not behind a computer screen, Ya know? Like a grown up?
  10. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Wow you sound worse than me on a bad day. :laugh:
  11. andrewsmc

andrewsmc

Thanks Received:
    Lol, Fair. But I cant stand people getting on a forum that they are NOT even a part of the community and just start ""nerding" and "thats dumb" and "Why are the nerds" and blah blah blah. GTFO ya know?:slap:
  12. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    I have my 8350 oc'd to 4.4. I have never run any of the stress programs on it. However it does crunch WCG 24/7 at 100% load. So I guess that is sort of a stress program. I do agree that when overclocking you need to have something in place to test stability. Mine is stable as a rock as It crunches and has for months I also game and whatever on it and it has never shown any signs of even wanting to crash. Op crunch on it and see how stable it is. If it can steadily crunch for weeks on end without throwing errors on the wu's or crash your good to go.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Peace, stop attacking people. Last warning.
    Kursah says thanks.
  14. andrewsmc

andrewsmc

Thanks Received:
    That should have been said on post#2, But OK. I am done here.
  15. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Some of the best stress test you can do is using your PC, via gaming, browsing, media, compiling, or whatever. But do you want to risk corrupt data or lost work because of an unstable overclock? Memory corruptions can be very common, BSOD's, etc. Why not run a few stress test utilities like OCCT, PRIME, Intel XTU, etc to stress your PC more than you may ever. If it can pass that test, then odds are you'll be just fine for gaming, general use. If you do a lot of video compiling, make sure to do heavy stress tests too...depending on the instructions it uses like AVX, you can stress your CPU more than some stress tests.

Overclocking and not stress testing takes an already dangerous gamble and makes it (for sake of a better term, and no offense meant) an ignorant gamble. You know you pushed your hardware past it's rated specifications, you know there's a greater chance of failure with every MHz of increase, why not test to make sure it's stable? Or at least accepted stability. By that I mean what you'll accept as stability, which for some isn't testing, and others is weeks of testing. Find something that suits your needs. I used to like OCCT because it would test the cpu, bus, memory and gpu at the same time, which also tests the PSU. If it can pass an hour or two of that I would call it good. I have been using Intel XTU and AIDA64 to test stability on my Haswell gaming build.

IMO anyone who takes the time to learn how to OC a PC and join a techy support forum is a nerd imho. Takes one to know one, and I for one have zero problems being one nor take offense to being called one.

:toast:
    andrewsmc and AlienIsGOD say thanks.