1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

When on standby mode...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Chewy, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    when I put my computer on standby all my fans are still running... :S Why is this!

Also my hd seems to go to sleep/standby and my power led flashes.. I tried to get it to do hibernate and when I hit alt it just puts a line under the first letter of standby/restart/turn off.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2006
  2. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Your computer is set to standby in S1 mode go into your bIOS under power management settings and set it to S3 mode.
  3. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't ever use standby - my computer doesn't tend to wake from it but I did used to have a problem like yours. First of all, do what Polaris says and set your BIOS to S3 mode. If that works, great, leave it like that, but for me that doesn't help.

To fix this problem I either have to go to the device manager and set any USB devices so that they can't wake my PC from standby or follow this M$ article. Something to do with USB devices keeping the PC half awake so they get their power I think, but I could be wrong.
  4. regan1985 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeh my wireless adaptor stops working wen in standby coz its usb! sucks,otherwise id use it wen i download at night
  5. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    TY :p I like using standby cause it helps me load windows so fast durring the day.. like now I had to power up and it seems to take a while with all the bios type crap that it goes though, cpu speed elc... seems longer than my gateway computer.