1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

When Watching Streaming Videos Online

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by happy, Jan 6, 2012.

1. m4gicfour

m4gicfour

Thanks Received:
    There have been a lot of drive-by support requests lately...

2. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    i know :/ half of the threads are reposts. if people followed up it would take half of the trobleshooting out. and we can improve on previous answers.

3. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    happy says thanks.
  4. happy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I will definitely follow up on this situation after figure out my budget. Whether I proceed with cutting the motherboard slot or any other mod I will follow up so that if others run into my same problem they would not need to posts a new thread.

Solaris17 says thanks.
  5. happy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, well just chiming in once again. Well my restoration went all too well. Basically, the computer that I was building for someone else (Dell Optiplex 270). I found an AGP GPU (EVGA FX5500 for free). Well I just popped that thing write in the slot and bam!! it works (well it better). Anyways, although now I have the s-video feature, if I were to watch any 4.0gb movie and above, movies still stutter like crazy (unwatchable at all). Well I haven't installed the drivers for it yet, but even if I were to install the drivers will it fix this problem?

6. m4gicfour

m4gicfour

Thanks Received:
    Drivers will help, to some degree, as with standard microsoft drivers you really aren't getting the most out of the card. You'll get _some_ hardware accel. on certain things where they've been implemented in a standardised way, but for most stuff, the nVidia drivers will give you much better results in terms of performance.

That said, that card is still pretty old so it won't support all the nifty features that have come out since it was released. AFAIK, that was only ever an entry level card anyways so don't expect miracles.

There's one way to find out, right? Get those drivers installed (I can't say for sure, I'm not nearly as knowledgeable about nVidia as I am with ATi/AMD, but you'll probably have to look for LEGACY drivers - that is, the newest all-in-one drivers probably don't support the 5500 anymore)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  7. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    1155 I3 dual core would be perfect for this. The new on chip GPU these sandy bridge chips have are very good at video and encoding. A cheap setup such as a H61, I3-2100, and 2x2GB DDR3 would be good for you!

Crunching for Team TPU