1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

When will CGI graphics will become the standard in-game graphics ? "Discuss"

Discussion in 'Games' started by The Witcher, Aug 17, 2010.

?

When will we get the today's CGI graphics level and be able to play with it ?

1. In the next 5 years

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. In the Next 10 years

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. In the next 15 years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. In the next 20 years

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. A very long time from now (25+ years)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. The Witcher New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi

I was checking the Final Fantasy XIV Online website and looking at the screenshots, I noticed that most of them are CGI which made me think about the leap that happened and is happening since the beginning of the 80s until now in terms of graphics, do you think that we will ever see actual in-game graphics just like those of today's CGI trailers, for example these screenshots:

I think maybe in the next 10 years we will have this kind of graphics to play with :)

Man, I wish that I could live forever or at least for the next 500 years to see how the human race will improve further (hopefully :D), the evolution of human technology is just stunning.

Check the Poll.

2. mdsx1950

mdsx1950 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I voted in the next five years. Graphics are already so evolved. It won't be song long for CGI graphics to be standard in game graphics. :D

If your born again. You might witness it :p

3. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    This is sort of a perpetual gap. CGI has been getting better as well, and there's a manual labor element to creating a lot of those details that may be a limiting factor for a long time. The key I believe will be new rendering methods plus very targeted auto-generating technologies that can be guided to always produce the kind of result they're looking for. Might free up enough time for those necessary manual details.

4. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    The trouble is, CGI cut scenes are pre-rendered. They are not made to be minipulated by the gamer. We used to have games like 'Dragons Lair' and 'Night Trap' but you didnt actually control anything on screen, just the order you would see the cut scenes/videos.

5. The Witcher New Member

Thanks Received:
  6. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    I can see it happening within the next 5 years if the film studios allow it. In a recent Bit-Tech article a dude from AMD explained how they helped make the new Predators film...

... article here.

7. Easo

Easo

Thanks Received:
    In the next 20, I kinda doubt that we will make such leap in few years that your case under table will have the same power as rendering farms.

8. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Even advent children had shittier hair rendering than this, and this demo isn't that great. All rendered hair seems to suffer from the "bosley" effect. Not enough individual hairs, and too fat. You need between 100,000 and 150,000 strands to be accurate... I wasn't digging the physics either. It looked fake and exaggerated just like all their "physx" effects.

9. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    it will take about 10 years for it to happen with experience in maya 3dsmax blender etc we can already push the polygons for this to happen and texture sizes are already close to whats needed to be honest it comes down to ray tracing and its already been done in real time to an extent it could be done today but coding is highly inefficient causing issues currently. That said at current technological evolutionary rates and software evolution we are looking at about 8 years to 14year window

10. The Witcher New Member

Thanks Received:
    At least this is better than the frozen haircuts that we get in games, besides this is just the beginning, there is still a long way for them to simulate real hair, bottom line, this is better than nothing :)

11. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    As long as the PS3 and 360 are in use this isn't gonna happen, cause they're too old to do it and thats where the money is, and in 5 years we might still not have a replacement for em, hopefully we will though.

12. MomentoMoir

MomentoMoir New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh yea? Past 11 years was Voodoo 5 and Geforce 256 DDR to GTX480 and 5870. Pentium 3s to hex cores that run 3x the speed and faster. If devs stop letting consoles hold PCs back we can see better graphics in 10 more years. Look at a CGI movie from say 2004 and look at DX11 what its supposed to be. Its either close or better. CGI has improved in films but not really in pre-rendered movies for games. Most of it now is real time rendering where the movies in game and real game play looks the same. Now that gaming has picked up considerately hardware has been evolving alot faster.

13. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    Id bet in the next 5 years or less.. way back 05' In game graphics today very much like what UT3 does would pretty much pass as a cgi way back.

14. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    its simple. whatever level of graphics home PC's are capable of, CGI used in films will always be 5 years ahead.