1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

When XFire or SLI fails...

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Franklinwallbrown, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Franklinwallbrown

Franklinwallbrown New Member

Thanks Received:
    So, when exactly does a crossfire of SLI configuration fail? I know you have to have drivers for them...
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't understand your question.
  3. Franklinwallbrown

Thanks Received:
    When does xfire or sli not work right...
  4. Franklinwallbrown

Thanks Received:
    Bump...
    I'm trying to see how viable crossfire or SLI would be for me.
  5. erocker

Thanks Received:
    It works. The only problems that arise are if an application is compatable with it or not. If you want to find out if it's a viable option, what games do you play, what resolution do you use, and/or do you like cranking up the AA and AF? There can be things like driver issues, but that goes with many video card upgrades for some people. If you do play a game that doesn't like to use two or more video cards, all you have to do is turn them off in the ATi or Nvidia control panel. Your question is quite broad, ask some specific questions, concerns or ideas.:)
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  6. Franklinwallbrown

Thanks Received:
    Yes, my question is broad. First, because I don't really know too much and secondly, because I don't know what questions to ask. I am trying to read some articles to get more knowledgeable, but I can only works so fast and I do do other things...

Anyway, do they make a list of games that are compatible with dual card setups?
    I play BF:2142 right now because I have no money, but the beginning of September will change that (knock on wood). I'm thinking about Crysis, because I've heard it was good.

I was thinking of a 24" or 28" monitor from Newegg both running 1920x1200.
  7. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Crysis is the biggest killer of Crossfire cards. They don't scale worth a crap with it. Otherwise, you can expect a nice little boost with either one. Both have come a long way from when they were both released. I am currently planning a crossfire 3870 setup, or a crossfire X 3870 and 3850 with my current rig.
  8. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Perhaps you should read up as much as you can, and then ask the questions that you have. Or, just ask for basic information on crossfire and sli. Just try to explain your question more so people can understand what you are asking so they can help you. With a 24" to 28" monitor Crossfire or Sli would be a viable option.
  9. Franklinwallbrown

Thanks Received:
    Check...
  10. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Franklin, I think you'd be better off with an X2 series from either NV or AMD, depending on budget...crossfire on one card or SLI on one card...all you do is install drivers and go for the most part...

I'd rather have a single GPU/single card for my graphics in the first place so my knowlege here isn't very strong, but I've read quite a bit...there are issues, bugs, driver issues, game support stuff...but when it works on both sides it does scream! I'd say google SLI and Crossfire and learn a little bit about how they work and why they do what they do...learn about the technology you want or are interested in and see if it's something you want to deal with. It's good stuff really, on both ends, for me I just don't find a need or want for it.

:toast:
  11. candle_86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    they have the same issues as SLI or crossfire, if you are real worried get a single powerful chip
  12. Franklinwallbrown

Thanks Received:
    I figure the 4870 is about the best price/performance & even if I put it in crossfire I can use crossfire for most games.