1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Where are the TI processors?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by FordGT90Concept, Dec 18, 2008.

1. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I got to thinking again how marvelous these little graphing calculators are. You know, the ones that can add 1/3 to 2/3 and get exactly 1 instead of 0.999999999~. They can do that because their processors handle everything as fractional. So, why hasn't Intel and AMD learned from Texas Instruments instead of using those dodgy, general purpose floating point units? I mean, they are fine for games, money, etc. but when precision is more important that performance, why not use a specialized fractional unit?

Until then, my $150, 5 year old TI-89 is still better at math (specifically, division) than all my $2000+ computers. :(
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Stop drop kaboom, too precise would allow the multitudes to divide by zero. Something we reserve for the better educated and those in controll
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  3. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Oh no. We can't have people doing what only Chuck Norris is currently capable of. Think of the consequences of that--a world without a "special" Chunk Norris. The universe as we know it would surely end! :eek:
    Crunching for Team TPU