1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

where do songs for games come from?

Discussion in 'Games' started by JanJan, Mar 1, 2011.

1. JanJan

Thanks Received:
    do game companies have their own music department? well yeah they do but I mean do they write their own songs or buy from other song writers? and do they buy from only professionals or do amatuers sometime get the luck?

2. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Professionals do it. Some of them are dedicated composers (like the guy who composed Baldurs Gate) and sometimes artists do it (like Chris Vrenna who did American McGee's Alice). I don't think game studios have their own musicians, they would have to little to do.

3. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    storks deliver them.

4. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    They contract orchastras, composers, etc. for original scores. Otherwise, they license soundtracks from the publishers that own the rights to it.

As far as I know, no game developer/publisher has their own full time muscians. They either outsource it or they make the music themselves.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    Right, like all the songs in GTA Vice City for example are licensed by the same company (SONY BMG iirc).

6. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    It all depends. EA Trax mostly consist of music already available on CD from various authors. They aren't in any way dedicated and are as such pretty lame. They rarely capture the right music. NFS HP2 was one of the rare EA Trax selections where prettty much all songs were great. In later titles only few songs were great but most were rather boring...

But there on the other hand you have authors who make awesome dedicated music. My personal favorite are Romolo dii Prisco (he has done several awesome tracks for NFS3, NFS4 and NFS5), Crispin Hands was also involved in a great tracks. Then there is Chris Vrenna responsible for Doom 3 main menu soundtrack (i think it was a cooperation with Trent Reznor). He also made 2 dedicated tracks for NFS Most Wanted, the dynamic music that kicked in when you were involved in a police chase.

MRCL says thanks.
  7. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    I like the licensed tracks in Nail'd. Fun Game!

8. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    "The Mann" and "Most Wanted Mash Up." Both were co-authored with Paul Linford apparently.

Completely agree with you post though. HP2 music is bangin'. The more recent NFS games only had a handful of good tracks.

Michiel van den Bos did an excellent job on Overlord II (all original scores).

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, some of their stuff was great, even though it came from other artists, especially the first hot pursuit, you had Hot action cop, Bush etc. It was pretty much great to me imho. I prefer it more to the generic electric sound that NFS games usually have. Licensed music is something I pretty much like from ea. One of the best soundtracks that I loved was Battlefield:Vietnam (the real game, not the expansion). CCR, Bob Seger, Ride of the Valkyries, Jefferson Airplane, Canned Heat, The Trashmen and a lot more, all under one album! Wow! Many times you would find helis, m113's or pbr's passing by (instead of supporting you) and going to the end of the map to chill out and listen to music! Plus if you were a "cong, you could hear the Gi's coming from afar with music on loud! That was a hollywood special (especially if they put on ride of the valkyries).

10. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    I thought magical pixies did them?