1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Where do you recommend purchasing Windows for a new rig?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by wishman35, Oct 5, 2012.

1. wishman35 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have student credentials so I can pull that off - but I assume I need the full version or am I able to purchase the upgrade (doubtful right?)

Can anyone direct me to the cheapest possible way to purchase right now and get it soon? Can you also let me know if the Professional is essential or can I go for the lesser model?

Thanks again for all of the advice!
  2. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you have a student discount you need to contact your local college campus library, they probably have a special website for you to purchase the discounted software.

I know my college used e-Academy, and it was only about $30 cheaper on average, but every college is different. Some give it away free.
  3. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Are you connected to Dreamspark?
  4. wishman35 New Member

Thanks Received:
    No I am not... I dont live on campus or anything, I go back and forth between taking some classes. Its nothing full time.

I assume I need the full disk version, am I better off just buying on Newegg? and what version is best if I just use it for internet and gaming?
  5. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    Call your campuses local library then... they would know, and it may be offered for free... worth the call before you buy on Newegg.
  6. wishman35 New Member

Thanks Received:
  7. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Home Premium, Pro and Ultimate are fine for gaming with Home Premium being the cheapest due to limitations implicated by Microsoft to justify the pricing for Pro and Ultimate.

If for some reason want to install more than 16GB of ram, you will want Pro or Ultimate.

I am using Home Premium and it is fine for gaming with my current set up.
  8. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    There are some sites that offer student discounts on Windows. However, they usually only offer the discounts on the Retail editions, so it still ends up cheaper to just buy the OEM version from newegg.

Yes Home Premium is good enough, but I would get at least Professional if you plan to stick with 7 for a while because Home Premium is limited to 16GB of memory and the price difference to go to Pro isn't that much.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  9. tacosRcool

tacosRcool

Thanks Received:
    I got an upgrade to Windows 7 pro for $25 at my university
  10. Beertintedgoggles

Beertintedgoggles

Thanks Received:
    http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/pd/productID.216644200?Icid=Student_HUB_4up_Windows

Pretty sure when you download it comes as an ISO. I bought the student version a while back this way, as long as you have a valid .edu email address you're fine. $65 for Windows 7 Professional (it's the upgrade version but as far as I know if you make the disc bootable you should be fine for an install from scratch.... I'd double check first though).

Good deal!
  11. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    Software4students