1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Where to buy parts?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by JanJan, Apr 12, 2009.

1. JanJan

Thanks Received:
    I'm living in Hawaii and newegg.com doesn't cover the free shipping here :banghead:

So anyone know any good place(company) or website that i can buy parts from with free shipping(or at least less fee)?

ps: should i buy a OCed graphic card from newegg.com? will a OCed last less than a normal card? (a bit ironic but yeah, worst case scenario)

and which one is better for gaming E8400 or Q6600
  2. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    E8400 is way better for gaming, since gaming is either single-threaded or dual threaded... Buy an OCed card if it's the same price, or else, just OC it yourself... Yes technically it'll last less long, but I think it is worth it, unless you want to keep your GPU for 10 years lol
    JanJan says thanks.
  3. JanJan

Thanks Received:
    i don't want to end up buying stuff from ebay because can't be sure about the quality?
    anyone help?
  4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I quite sure that unless you buy from a local store, no one will ship to Hawaii for free. So yeah, you're going to have to pay a little for shipping but look at it this way... You live in PARADISE!!! :D
  5. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure what computer companies ship to Hawaii if any. If you use Ebay , just make sure the seller has good reviews and make sure the product looks intact.
  6. Homeless

Thanks Received:
    The only games where I found it beneficial to have a quad core over a dual core is games using the multi-threaded source engine and the last remnant
  7. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    And Alan Wake, Crysis Warhead, Supreme commander.

Quadcores will benefit in the future tho.
  8. JanJan

Thanks Received:
    yeah i wanna play games like supreme commander or RA 3 or may be the incoming starcraft 2 (mostly real time strategy)
    so should i go with core 2 duo or quad? ( i need it to last for couple years at least :D i don't mind paying more)
  9. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    If you going to be keeping it for a long time the Quad will be best, as games will soon become multi-threaded as a standard and use Quads to there fullest. Dual cores are ok as of now and if your overclocking the dual to a good speed it should keep up with the ever changing games in the future. But then again you can get a Quad and OC that to a nice speed and that should smoke any game now and upcoming. I would go Quad personally.
  10. LittleLizard

LittleLizard New Member

Thanks Received:
    quad = futureproof
    duo = right here, right now
    CDdude55 says thanks.
  11. Amy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think ebay is your best option.
  12. HolyCow02

HolyCow02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Even for ebay, the sellers will say the will either not ship to HA or AK at all or they jack up the prices. No one ships to HA or AK for free because of how far off they are. They have to cover their own expenses when shipping out there.

As I've been to HA a couple of times, its a at least a 5 hour plane ride from San Fran...that takes you to the east coast in the same time interval.
  13. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    future proofing?

(off topic)
    :shadedshu
    I wish there was a palm-face icon. As far as this particular topic is concerned there is no such thing as future proofing. Case in point, those who thought that buying a Q6600 was future-proofing themselves which has now reached EOL. Not only do we have better quad core CPUs then Q6600s but have overall better games that are multi-threaded. Remember multi-threaded games also include dual core support as well. Also, we have Cuda, OpenCL, etc making waves in quad-core CPU territory (where quad cores would matter most). So if you really thing that quad core CPU is future proofing, thank again! By no means is that a prediction but to put in prospective other techniques being used.

As for games there are no real head ways being made that justifies the price premium between dual core and quad core. And, there are fewer examples that demonstrate that quad cores are significantly better in games from dual core.

Therefore as it stands right now, if you are using programs that specifically benefit from quad cores then get a decent quad core CPU. But if you are not get a dual core solution.

(on-topic)
    I am not sure were you can buy parts online and get free shipping to your area. You may have figure out the total cost of your items (including shipping) and compare it to what you can buy from a local shop (plus any upgrade costs) and see which is better suited for your budge and needs.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  14. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    I must disagree...

How many games do you know now that support 3-4 threads? How many do you think will support that in the future?

How does a 4ghz dual-core do on 1 or 2 thread games compared to a 3~3.5 ghz quad?
    How will it do compared to the quad-core on 3-4 threaded games?

Will 3-4 threaded games come in the past or in the future?

Is futureproofing not basically having good performance later? Won't the Q6600 do better on 3-4 threaded games compared to it's dual-core counterpart at that moment? And aren't 3-4 threaded games coming in the future? is that not futureproofing?
  15. Paintface

Paintface New Member

Thanks Received:
    im not from the usa... but my friend has ordered a ton of it from it for me over the past years, they are very cheap, not the very cheapest i agree, and have excellent service.

They might not able to provide free shipping on some items, but overall it cant be that much to ship to hawaii? especially compared to what the whole system costs.

Stay away from ebay, dont count on making a deal, i see ram sell for 2 bucks more than what it would cost new.
    JanJan says thanks.
  16. JanJan

Thanks Received:
  17. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    you know you could always check out the forsale threads here I'm sure someone wouldn't mind shipping to hawaii and it should be cheaper than the big stores shipping. well that is if you'll let them ship us mail.
    JanJan says thanks.
  18. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    PM sent to avoid derailing this thread.
    n-ster says thanks.
  19. JanJan

Thanks Received:
    i just found a website which charge about 1/3 of shipping fee at newegg.com

svc.com <<<<<<<<<<<<< is that site legit?

and can anyone recommend on sites selling RAM with low shipping fee please
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2009