1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Where to get a new operating system cd?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by CarolinaKSU, Aug 1, 2008.

1. CarolinaKSU New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, come to find out, my old xp cd from HP is corrupted somehow. I tried to reload XP and im getting these errors about missing files during setup. There is a pretty good sized scratch on the disc which is probably the culprit..

Anyway, is it possible to order just a replacement cd? Im talking a legit copy from Microsoft or HP themselves. I know that with a small fee you could order a replacement dvd for Vista from MS, is there anything like this for XP?

HP is giving me the run around, trying to sell me the whole recovery cd package including drivers etc. which i dont want / need since they date from 2003(!)

2. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    have you contacted M$ directly?

3. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    its also.... dubious, but you CAN download or 'pirate' a disk.

In my opinion this is legal and should be allowed, so long as you do not use a pirated CD key. you're merely replacing it with a backup, of which you are legally allowed to make originally.

Just make sure you get the correct copy (home/pro)!

4. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    hmmm kinda shady don't ya think? considering he had a legitamite copy to begin with, i'd give M$ a call

5. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah, i made ISO backups for when people bring systems to me to be formatted, the central part being here that he's using his legit key - MS allows you to make a backup and burn copies of the disks (slipstreams, integrating updates) so i do not feel this is illegal if you are using a legit serial key.