1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which 790i board would be best?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Guarana, May 10, 2008.

1. Guarana New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm building a new rig in August and out of the Evga, Striker Extreme II or XFX 790i Boards, which would be the best buy?

I plan on watercooling, so the striker extreme II is high up there on the list, but I could easily buy a waterblock (provided someone has one out) for the Evga of XFX boards and get that nipped in the butt. I'm also going to try quad SLI with the XFX 9800GX2's, oh man I've got too many decisions.

2. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nahalem, if you've got enough money to drop on a 790i you've got enough for a sick nahalem system when it hits a few months after August.

3. Guarana New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, nahalem looks very pleasing. However, my issue is a mobo, not a CPU.

I should have explained earlier that I'm looking for some good OCing options. Also, price is somewhat of an issue, but not much. I'm leaning to XFX or EVGA because the ASUS board seems to be having LOTS of problems, the XFX support seems really nice and EVGA is just in the grey area in everything.

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  4. Recoba

Recoba New Member

Thanks Received:
    Striker II Extreme, I used this board. really love it.

I could run Q6600@3.6ghz stable with WC but when 3-way SLI, it perform PCI-ex 16x not 16x 2.0

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  5. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry I know that wasn't pertaining to the question. I mentioned it b/c nahalem will not work w/ 790i, or any chipset around for that matter, as you may know. Therefore, it seems silly to me to pay so much for an apparent attempt at an ultimate rig when a tech is a month or so away that will make it yesterday's news.

Anyway, I don't have experience with them, but from what I've seen on this forum and elsewhere the evga is the best.

6. Recoba

Recoba New Member

Thanks Received:
    i can't buy eVGA in vietnam but i know almost WRs using Asus Motherboard. May be eVGA make VGA better than ASUS but motherbard ASUS still the best

7. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received:
    From what i can tell the EVGA and XFX are both identical, they both get them ready built from nvidia's chosen manufacturer (usually, but not always, Foxconn)

However, with the 680i (also a built by (for) nvidia, sold ready built to evga, xfx and a few other brands) EVGA actually had different model no's for the different revisions, where with xfx it was 'luck of the draw' what you actually got

8. Guarana New Member

Thanks Received:
    The striker looks like a good board, any problem with the fusion block though? A lot of the reviews I've seen they complain about faulty fusion blocks.

9. Recoba

Recoba New Member

Thanks Received:
    Striker II Ex have fusion but i didn't use WC for it:cool: I used WC for my CPU:p

10. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
  11. Guarana New Member

Thanks Received:
    I can't view the link here and I can't find it on any online vendors, tigerdirect is down atm so searching for this board is kind of tricky right now