1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which app to lower CPU multi

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Dr. Spankenstein, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Dr. Spankenstein New Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't laugh guys, I've never attempted this before.....:eek:

I wanted to get familiar with the process before I port over to the new mobo.

Details or links would be appreciated.:toast:

2. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    Bios?

Dr. Spankenstein says thanks.
  3. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea I think the bios is the only way to lower the mp.

4. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Yep that's the best way to go...especially if you're already used to OC-ing in BIOS. Most OC MB's have an option for Multi's...and depending on your chip you may either have a couple of options in very limited form or if you spent 1K on a CPU...you may be able to have quite a few options.

Aside from that...I think maybe Systool may...dunno. I only use BIOS for that kind of stuff...if you have an Abit board with uGuru I think you can use it's software for that also.

:toast:

5. Dr. Spankenstein New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry guys, I'm still on an old-skool Intel D975XBX "Bad Axe". No such provision in BIOS...

6. Duxx Guest

My asus has a program(forgot name and crashed often) which came with motherboard, which allows me to change them in XP, and works effectively(have tested to cure my curiosity) However BIOS is the best.

7. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Hmm..I had the option in my 865PE board, and my P965 board...but intel might not allow it...you may google your board and see if others have found a way to do so...or turn on C1E/EIST/SpeedStep as it will cut down to the lower multi at idle and then you can figure out your speed at that muliplier.

I haven't used a straight-up intel board in a long time...and even then it wasn't in my build so I'm not familiar with the constrictions in their BIOS.

Maybe try SetFSB, Systool, programs like that...you may have hope yet!

:toast:

8. Dr. Spankenstein New Member

Thanks Received:
    The guys that used to use these boards were using CrystalCPUID to drop the multis. I attempted to use it, but the change wasn't effective. Maybe I should disable EIST in the BIOS, then set to "Always On" in the Power Mgmt. first?

C1E is not available via the BIOS either. They kinda EOL'd this board quick to make way for the BX2. Guess I can figure it out with the new board.