1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which Cooler for my GTX 470?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by xbonez, Dec 1, 2010.

1. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
  2. No3Dalefan New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have the Zalman on my 480GTX , it works well enough, with the fans on low, games don't exceed 60 degrees, Furmark will push it to 85, though. Fans on high, it doesn't cool much better and makes a howling noise. The Zalman was cheaper, and much more available. I tried to buy an Accellero before, as I have one on my 260GTX that I really like, but the only place I could find one was the manufacturers website, which had a very confusing checkout system. You also have to buy separate heatsinks for the VRMs if you go Accellero, the Zalman includes them.

Chuck

xbonez says thanks.
  3. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    That thing only hits those temperatures if you leave the fan profile alone and set to auto. If you create a more agressive fan ramp up, or just leave it at 70% fan while gaming, temps wont break 80C.

I would say neither as the heatdump inside the case from that thing would raise everything else up a few C.

4. No3Dalefan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Of course I forgot to mention, with both of the heatsinks listed, the card is virtually silent, you won't get that with the stock cooler.

5. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm not so worried about hot air build up inside the caseas I have an Antec 1200 with one fan on the side panel just next the GPU that throws out the hot air exhausted by the GPU. My CPU is liquid cooled, so there's no exhaust on its behalf.

However, I will run the 470 on the stock HSF for a week or so, and get the Zalman should I feel the need.

The Arctic is pretty much out for me. It's slightly more expensive and as No3 points out, I also need to buy the VRM heatsinks separately. I don't want to spend too much on this cooler as its really only a stopgap solution until I go full liquid cooling.

6. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    You;re talking about the Arctic here, right?

7. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    If you wait until Superbiiz has the AC Plus back in stock, it will be much cheaper than the VF3kF. $55.98 if clicked on through Froogle.(yes, that actually makes it cheaper) Plus free shipping and 10% off promo code, so $51 shipped. Then the VR003 will be $12. so really the AC Plus is only about $63 versus $72 for the VF3kF at buy.com.

xbonez says thanks.
  8. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    could you give a link? can't find it on superbiiz

9. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
  10. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok. Whats the full name of the item? I'll do a google search just to see and read about it.

11. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    i prefer Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus, why coz it has 3 fans = higher airflow, large hsf that could release the heat faster, its kinda silent

12. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    I sent SuperBiiz an email asking if they will get more in stock. Though they will probably say they don't know or they don't give out that info or whatever.

13. fusionblu

fusionblu

Thanks Received:
    Has to be the Artic Cooling one, the Zalman is ugly an green so I wouldn't touch it. :eek:

The A.C Accelero XTREME Plus is clearly the best one as it has three fans to keep the graphics card cool and there are many graphics cards manufacturers using A.C's VGA Coolers as the default cooling for all ends of the field in terms of the performance with the very highest at the moment being Sapphire ATI HD 5970 4GB (Twin GPU Card) running on this VGA Cooler by A.C.

14. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
  15. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    I know you have since gotten a Zalman, but FYI to everyone else, SuperBiiz isn't expecting anymore AC Plus coolers. Really too bad since they were at such a great price.

16. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I can't imagine this being better than the stock cooler on a 580. It dumps all that heat inside the case, for a start.

17. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    @Maban: Thanks for following up and getting more info about that cooler. As a matter of fact, I haven't purchased an aftermarket cooler just yet. I'm giving the stock cooler a chance till the 15th (payday) and then I'll get either the AC or the Zalman (not sure yet).

The Zalman has the advantage of being cheaper and easier to install.
    The Ac seems to be more aggressive at cooling, but is a little more expensive, and if I'm not mistaken, requires me to buy heatsinks and VRMs separately.

18. va4leo

va4leo New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have an AC Xtreme Plus on my 480. Folds at about 44°C-55°C. Furmark Load for one hour reaches maximum temperature of 68°C. Idles 33°C with ambient of 19-22°C. Oh ye, forgot to mention, the 480 is OCed to 850 / 1700 / 2000. =D

19. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sweet. I'm strongly leaning toward the AC. I really like the 3-fan design

20. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    here's a pretty decent one GELID Solutions GC-VGA02-01 1 Ball, 1 Sleeve VGA C...

check out the first review

-Psy
    "Pros: * QUIET & EFFECTIVE!
    * Keeps my overclocked GTX 470 under 53* Celsius under full load.
    It is super quiet!

Cons: none!

Other Thoughts: I tested my video card with the cooler repeatedly in disbelief with MSI Kombustor. My temps did not go above 53* using the highest settings. I am so incredibly amazed. I would give this cooler 6 eggs if it were possible.
    If you play games, Fold@Home, or just like taking your PC to the limit, this makes a GREAT addition."

xbonez says thanks.
    More than 25k PPD
  21. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for that link. I wasn't aware there were more options available. So, now its the AC vs this. Gotta see which one cools better

22. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    after comparing the AC and the GELID some more, looking at the pics i'd have to say the heatpipe layout on the AC is better and the fact the fans on it put out 81CFM compared to the other's 65CFM. as for noise they're about the same. the biggest diff is cost i guess. the AC is about $10 more (according to the link u posted) but it performs that much better. if you have the extra $10, i'd go for the AC

EDIT: be sure to get the VR003 model

More than 25k PPD
  23. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    If that is the case, I think I'll go for the AC. If an extra 10 dollars keeps my card cooler and allows me to push it further, its worth it.

24. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    hmm.. i just noticed the "Mounting plate, RAM and voltage regulators heatsinks set, thermal adhesive" is an extra $6, the VR003. the cooler itself doesn't come with them

More than 25k PPD
  25. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I was aware of that. I just really like the AC, though. The three-fan, white design etc. I'll probably still go for it.