1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which Cpu to go for!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Irish_PXzyan, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    Well lads!

I will be upgrading my system before march and I am just confused with the bunch of CPU's from intel and the sockets and prices!
    Like... the Intel 870 3Ghz is 10 euro less than the 950 3Ghz... like.. what!!!

Seriously!

What should I be looking at??????

2. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Right, a brief guide to all the nonsense: (I am only listing the ones which will be considered an improvement over the Q6600)

AMD: You will have AM3 socket, processors available are Phenom II X4 Black editions (955 and brothers), then there is the Phenom II X6 (1055T, 1090T Black and others) Performance wise, the x4's are a ever so slightly slower than the i5 750/760 in almost all cases, the X6 versions are usually faster than the i5 7xx by a bit in games and such, but destroys them in multithreaded environments.

Intel: You have a choice (currently) of 1156 and 1366 based systems, (both referring to the number of pins). 1156 is the "mid" end of the range and covers the i3 to i5 8xx series, comes with 16 PCIe lanes, and other stuff. The i5 870 comes under this category. Memory is dual channel, and there is no QPI. Then there is the 1366, which encompasses the i7 9xx range. Comes with up to 32 lanes of PCIe (if I remember correctly), thus better for crossfire and the like, but no worse than the 16 lanes if you are running 2 mid-high range graphics card (GTX 460, HD6850 and the likes).

The advantage of the 1366 platform is the number of lanes of PCIe, QPI, and (maybe) triple channel memory. QPI increases memory throughput (I think), and the availability to upgrade to 6 cores (980X). Disadvantages include expensive x58 based chipsets, the need for triple channel optimum memory config and its slightly hotter(95w vs 130w).

And then there is the 1155 platform, which is coming out in january. Plenty of boards to choose from (H65, H67, P65, P67, perhaps more). I am not too sure about the difference, but I think the H series does not have onboard graphics. I am also not too sure about the featuresets.

Bottom line: if you are upgrading, wait till January and see what Intel has got to offer us in SandyBridge (1155). If you are considering the 1156 and the 1366 only, I would get the 950 because it pairs nicely with 2 mid-high graphics card which needs more than 32 lanes. Otherwise get the i5 760, a lot cheaper (I believe) and still offer a lot of performance (only in games and single threaded, in multithreaed the 8 threads of the 8xx and 9xx crushes it).

Edit: If this article is too patronising, ignore it. I went back to read your first post and noticed that this is not what you want :eek:

_JP_ and Irish_PXzyan say thanks.
  3. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
    I agree sandy bridge i7 2600k Is the one im going for in january, and for the following reasons.

1. low power Consumtion 32nm cpu.

2. Unlocked multiplyer and overclocking capability on air, great preformance. And apparenlty nicley priced. (reportedly 4.5-5ghz is achievable on air cooling) which makes it a sweet chip for the money.

3. Four cores and i dont need anymore than that as i buy mainly for my gaming and more cores are just a waste to me, So no point waiting for the 6 cores and 8 cores, apparently being released later in the year.

4. Usb 3.0 & sata 3.

Plus my current hardware if a few years old now, And i normally religiously upgrade every 2 years, But due to the lastability of the Q6600 i really havent felt the need. I just want new gear with lower power consumption to hopefully see me ok for another 3 years.

Well thats just me :)

Irish_PXzyan says thanks.
  4. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    Nicely done lads!

Very good points!

I will indeed wait till janurary! I won't be buying till at least feb-march so there is plenty of time to see what's good and what's bollocks!!

I am liking the sounds of these news ones! Woo!

5. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im in the same boat im buying my cpu in january but im waiting till febuary to buy my motherboard as i want to see the reviews first!, But chances are ill stick to what i know and trust.

Hopefully the Asus ROG maximus IV Extreme. :) But there is also pro and deluxe models.

6. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    I would hope to pick a motherboard that's no more than 150 euro! With college and stuff it's hard to save so I got to get the best bang stuff!
    I would hope the new CPU's can do 4.5Ghz on air! How sweet that would be!

7. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    they can easily they do 3.8 already :) its been tried and tested already. The 5ghz and over mark depends on the mobo in use and the chips vid.

8. rickss69

Thanks Received:
    Current i3/i5 do that as well already. The only real selling point for the next generation is lower temps for any given clock. What do we really need a higher clocked cpu for anyway? If it's for 24/7 or gaming you will not realize any increase in performance...benching you may be able to capitalize on it.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  9. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    Niceee!!

True I suppose!
    But total war games really need CPU power! When I overclock my CPU I always get a decent boost.

I want this new CPU before shogun 2 total war pops out :p

10. Enmity New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm also going down the same track and want to hold off until january - in my situation im only going to upgrade if I continue to lead this competition im doing which closes on the 20th dec. If I do win i'm going to see if they can postpone my prize until january and go down the SB path. Otherwise I'll have to look at the 950/ X58 combo.

I've had a look around and Sandy Bridge does impress me - its not even the high end segment and we're looking at no less than a 10% increase clock for clock over current lynnfield cpus.

That and the HUGE overclocking headroom seen with the 2600K - 5ghz on air is just amazing. Does anyone know if intel is only limiting the "locked" sandy bridge's? eg the S series? The K Series are unlocked but my knowledge on the limitations intel have implemented isn't so good - I hope the k series 2600 and 2500k's will be able to stretch their legs!

Definitely, if you can..wait till january to at least see the reviews and if by some chance Sandy Bridge doesn't rattle your dangle - take advantage of the pricedrops on current i5/7 offerings then :) its a win win situation.

11. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    Amen!
    Good luck with the competition!

The good thing with the new bunch of stuff heading our way is the yummy price drops!
    I hope it will drop nicely!
    Or at least the latest CPU's to be at a good price and not asking for too much!
    Now that would be just lovely!

12. mstenholm

Thanks Received:

Ad. 1 Could be just me but I use the same for my 970 (32 nm hex) as I did on my i920 at the same speed 4 GHz folding/crunching (100 % CPU load, same mobo, same everything else). OK, 5-10 W less at the wall @ +90 % PSU efficiency.

Ad. 2. Yes the leaks looks promissing.

Ad. 3. Most people don't need more....:D

My 775 is singing its Swan Song but I hope it will least to mid-Jan and then I would go for a 1155 2600k and that would be my advise to you too.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  13. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    the new sandy bridge will be barely better then the current 1156 cpu's the main difference will be socket change to 1155 and I think an added pcie X8 lane but not sure either way current 1156 board can do 3way crossfire/sli but are limited to X8 X8 X4. and a lock buss at 100 on 1155 and an unlocked for 1156 that starts at 133. I still say wait and if sandy bridge impresses you get it if not go for a nice 1156 or 1366 board.