1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which gamepad should I buy?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by fenurch, Dec 13, 2011.

1. fenurch

fenurch

Thanks Received:
    I've recently began to notice that perhaps some games would be easier and more convenient to play with a gamepad (e.g. racing, adventure and so on).

And I'm left with plenty of choice and little knowledge. I have heard pretty good things about the official Xbox for Windows controller and its not much more expensive that all the cheap shit gamepads so I think its worth buying over the cheapos. However, there are things like Logitech Rumblepad and I'm sure there are other alternatives that I'm not aware of which makes this more confusing. I don't want anything special on my gamepad apart from vibration (but I think it comes with almost all gamepads anyway) so I don't know whether the Rumblepad will be worth the money.

Advice required :D
  2. ManofGod

Thanks Received:
    The XBOX 360 gamepad would be the best and most compatible. You can get them as a wired controller or with a wireless adapter.
    fenurch says thanks.
  3. fenurch

fenurch

Thanks Received:
    I don't see a need for wireless ability in my situation since I'm situated right beside the computer at all times anyway. Forgot to mention this in original post.
  4. MasterInvader

MasterInvader

Thanks Received:
    Wireless or cable version go with the Xbox360 Gamepad.
    fenurch says thanks.
  5. Ray_Rogers2109

Ray_Rogers2109 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd say the XBOX 360 Wired Controller from Amazon.com or Amazon UK, even though it doesn't say for Windows the one I have 7 x64 automatically downloaded the drivers for it, is damn good and highly recommended.
    For games which don't have a 360 controller mapout profile I suggest using the program XPadder. Especially helpful since BioShock 2 doesn't even have native 360 controller support and there's a profile online for it which I downloaded. Of course for titles which I played on XBOX 360 first, OBLIVION (I play this with keyboard and mouse), BioShock 1 & 2, FALLOUT 3 & New Vegas, I always play with the 360 wired controller. To me SKYRIM has sluggish response with the keyboard and mouse so I again use the controller. With BORDERLANDS I've always used the controller. I'd make a much longer list but you get the idea.
    There's a list online somewhere which has all the PC games which have native 360 wired controller support.
    Hope this helps!
    fenurch and DragonBorn say thanks.
  6. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    the battery pack adds weight to the controller and you don't have a thick cable running across your desk.
    fenurch says thanks.
  7. Gzero New Member

Thanks Received:
    And with weight makes it feel better when it vibr.... I'm going to stop right there.
    fenurch says thanks.
  8. DragonBorn

DragonBorn New Member

Thanks Received:
    XBOX 360 Controller Is all you need saying must p.c. games now are just CRAP 360 ports over on the p.c. we see.

The good part about useing a 360 Controller is Xpadder to rey map the kb keys

http://xpadder.com/

I use this my self
    fenurch says thanks.
  9. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Another vote for XBOX 360, especially wired. You'll especially love it in combination with XBCD if you like to play emulators.
    fenurch says thanks.
  10. fenurch

fenurch

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for everyone's advice, will probably get the Xbox one.
    And to answer BumbleBee - I don't believe its worth paying 2x as much just so I don't have a wire and I can always sellotape a brick to it if heaviness is an issue :D
  11. Darth_Pewee

Darth_Pewee New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you already have an x360 i have seen the wireless adapters on places like Ebay or Amazon.. they are 3rd party but from what i have read they work all the same.. and you can pick that up for like 10-15 dollars...
    fenurch says thanks.
  12. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Im going to have to go with the Xbox 360 controller or a standard PS2 dual shock with adaptor.

When I was deployed to iraq, my platoon leader had the usb wireless receiver for the xbox 360 controller and he was able to connect up to 4 controllers using it! We would play super smash brothers on N64 emulator with 4 people!
    fenurch says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Here's what Ive been using for years now. Works flawlessly with 90% of my gamepad games & emulators.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/441/292
    Got it for $20 from Wal-Mart & does work wth 360 as well.
    fenurch says thanks.
  14. potanda New Member

Thanks Received:
    I use a xbox 360 Controller and love it the Wireless one it always works with games no set up needed and its the only control i could find with triggers that let u slow down and go faster :3
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
    fenurch says thanks.
  15. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    fenurch says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Darth_Pewee

Darth_Pewee New Member

Thanks Received:
    fenurch says thanks.
  17. MasterInvader

MasterInvader

Thanks Received:
    The wireless receiver works @ 100%
    I use it with the Xbox360 gamepad and 2 Xbox360 Guitar´s from GH
    fenurch says thanks.
  18. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    I use the Chillstream too, except in PS3 flavor. Less ugly. :roll:
    fenurch says thanks.
  19. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd certainly stick to the xbox360 layout rather than ps3 or logitech's own, i have one of the older logitech wireless rumble pads, and found more and more games are set up for xbox layout only, and are a pain in the arse to get set up, especially as whenever you get a bit in a game where buttons pop up on screen, they are xbox buttons.

Since the new smaller xbox came out they have made black wired pads too :)
    fenurch says thanks.
  20. Gzero New Member

Thanks Received:
    In an attempt to persuade you, I'd recommend the wireless for the following reasons:

1. Can sit further back
    2. Can disconnect it easily by pulling the power pack
    3. Can take it with you or set it down away from your pc
    4. No cable to trip on (and cause that dreaded crashing noise of your gear hitting everything and the floor)
  21. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    It's unavoidable that console to PC ports are gong to support XBOX360 straight off.

So if you are not fussy with controller layout, the XBOX360 is the best way to go due to compatibility.

As for me, I can not stand the XBOX controllers.
    I use a Logitech Dual Action controller which is Logitech's version of a PSOne controller.

I haven't had a need for L2 R2 with triggers so this suits me fine until I need a new one.

I personally would avoid buying a Saitek PSOne style controller.
    The analogues ave very little pressure sensitivity.
  22. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    If you like some dual shock layout with xinput (Xbox 360 input model) capability AND dinput (directx old school input model), try looking at the Logitech F series (F310, F510 and F710). in terms of overall compatibility, its better than the Xbox 360 contorller. Problem with the x360 controller and teh Logitech F series is that its not good for semi realistic racing with its large deadzone in the middle, otherwise its good.

Another alternative would be Razer onza, small deadzone, xinput and xbox 360 design.

Personally, i have the Logitech F510 and Logitech RumblePad 2. Im still using rumblepad 2 most of the time (with xbox 360 pad emulator) because I always prefer smaller deadzone analog sticks like the rumblepad 2 has.
  23. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    If you use XBCD with an xbox or xbox 360 controller, you can configure things like the deadzone to your preference.
  24. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    i tried messing with the deadzone settings with the F510 but its hardware based so even when adjusted in software, no change is felt, not sure for the x360 pad. (F series followed the xbox 360 pad hardware spec to the core tho),
  25. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    if you buy the wireless XBOX 360 controller you can add more weight to the controller with a battery pack or if you want a wired connection you can plug in a charging cable.

the wireless XBOX 360 controller comes with 2x AA batteries. you can buy the rechargeable li-ion battery pack and charging cable together for $10 on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Xbox-360-Co...AU_Video_Game_Accessories&hash=item20b9eeaf3d

if you buy the wired XBOX 360 controller you have no options. people say the d-pad is the biggest problem with the controller but I disagree because the d-pad is only used for menu navigation and inventory quick slots. the biggest problem is the weight.