1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which GPU for a gaming PC?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by lightsout, Aug 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lightsout New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is my gaming build so far http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XNtmmG

At the moment I am thinking either dual ftw acx 780 ($465), sapphire tri x 290 ($415), or windforce 290 ($380). Or a different 290 or 780 if you guys recommend me something different.

Another question I have is why is the superclocked acx 780 $35 more than the dual ftw acx if the dual ftw acx has a 23 Mhz higher core clock?

I know the 290 is already heavily overclocked out of the box but how is the dual ftw acx for overclocking?

Thanks

2. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Msi Gaming 290 or Vapor-X 290

3. basco

Thanks Received:
    plz dont do that ,
    how often do ya ask the same questions over again.
    we are not stupid here meteora881.

i can understand that ya want to buy the best and inform ya but you dont listen to the guys+girls here-so why ask 5 times how good something is for overclclock.
    again everey cpu or gpu or motherboard will oc different.-point.
    and get the cheapest 780 with a cooler that sounds good in reviews or the tpu-guys recommended ya. and 780 are really often tested so there is no excuse to inform yourself.
    a 23mhz overclock is nothing ya cant do yourself.

i can only tell ya get a B1 revision of a 780 with good cooler because you really are horny into overclocking and a heavily oced 290 is more to its limits then a 780 in percent.

dont forget ya want to play 1920x1080 so either of this cards has no probs in gaming.no need to oc.buy the stuff because i see you waiting and ask again if ya should wait on next generation.
    buy it now if ya need it.

RCoon says thanks.
  4. lightsout New Member

Thanks Received:
    funny man

5. Durvelle27

Durvelle27

Thanks Received:
    The Tri-X for Price/Performance

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. GhostRyder

GhostRyder

Thanks Received:
    When comparing a 290 to a GTX 780 they are normally about on par with the 780 taking the lead in the end due to overclocking. However the performance is within a margin of around 10% give or take in the end except when you take into account the extreme overclocking levels (normally like on the Classified cards or Lightnings) for the GTX 780 which is already a great overclocker and made better with that bonus.

If you are already looking in this area, why not go for an R9 290X since you are already looking in that area of pricing. The Diamond R9 290X uses the same cooler as the HIS which got good reviews that I saw in terms of cooling performance while the price of this variant is $480 (Not including the rebate).

But if you stick to the 290 or 780, with the choice in pricing and performance I would probably say get the Gigabyte Windforce 290 for the low price because the windforce cooler is pretty good already in general.

7. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    I'd go with the R9 290, be it the Sapphire Tri X card or the Gigabyte Windforce card, they're both have great coolers on them, & in the majority of game benchmark reviews the R9 290 seems to edge out the GTX 780 in most games while being cheaper but the GTX 780 overclocks better & it can outperform the R9 290 there...... :toast:

Are we missing something? o_O

8. 64K

Thanks Received:
    The R9 290 seems to be the sweet spot for performance for the price right now. I haven't owned one but I am impressed with the Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X. It will handle every game for now at high to max settings on 1080p or 1440p.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7601/sapphire-radeon-r9-290-review-our-first-custom-cooled-290/3

There is room to overclock it a good bit if you want to (depends on luck how far you can push the clocks) and it runs pretty cool and quiet.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7601/sapphire-radeon-r9-290-review-our-first-custom-cooled-290/5

Just one other thing from your gaming build. If you keep a large library of games then you might want to spend a little more and get a 2 TB drive. Games are getting ridiculously big as far as storage requirements.

9. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice catch, I wouldn't have noticed until you mentioned it and I saw the exact same GPU's mentioned.

This is a new account from somebody called @meteora881 who is making a new thread about something he's already asked.
    It also has the same thread title

OP, stick to one thread.
    Also reported for spamming with different accounts for no reason.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  10. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Confirmed via IP check that the Op has multiple accounts including meteora881, please read the guidelines and goodbye.

OneMoar, RCoon and MxPhenom 216 say thanks.