1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which GPU should i buy?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Wonsu, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Wonsu

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys,i sold my 7850 and i decided to buy a single GPU,now,i am considering 2 choices:
    SAPPHIRE R9 290X 4GB GDDR5
    http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?pid=2060
    SAPPHIRE TRI-X R9 290X 4GB GDDR5 OC (UEFI)
    http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/product_index.aspx?pid=2090&lid=1
    I don't know much about how pc things so can anyone please explain on which one is a wise choice?Like value and performance based.I can buy the tri-x but i just don't know if its worth and if it would really have noticeable difference between r9 290.

Thanks in advance:roll:
  2. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    get the TRI-X model. The first one you listed is what is referred to as a reference model. It has a stock AMD heat sink on it that is barely adequate to cool the video card. Personally, I don't even feel it is adequate as it is not a good enough heat sink to keep the 290X cool enough that it does not throttle its' self back to lower heat. The TRI-X model's heat sink is a high quality heat sink that is more than capable of keeping the 290X at good running temperatures.
    Wonsu and GreiverBlade say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    The Tri-X is one of the best AIB coolers for the 290X and of course far superior at cooling than the stock and WAY quieter doing it.
  4. Wonsu

Thanks Received:
    I want to play games like the upcoming Assassins creed unity and gta v.Would i be having noticeable differences in performance between of these two?
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  5. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    No, but the Tri-X will be nicer to own. The first one is loud and hot.
  6. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    yep Tri-X indeed it's really one of the top.

reference cooling should be taken only if you intend to watercool it or slap a aftermarket cooler on it.
    (like i will do with my ASUS ref 290 ... probably a MK-26 or maybe a Accelero Hybrid II )
    Wonsu says thanks.
  7. GhostRyder

GhostRyder

Thanks Received:
    Get the Tri-X for plug an play performance, otherwise get the Reference model and add your own cooler unless you want to just save the money and put on some headphones while bumping the fan speed up.
  8. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Tri-X all the way, esp since there wasn't any mention of differing prices on each, which tends to look like you're not concerned about that if there is.

Besides whats been mentioned, the Tri-X is tested and rated at a higher core, and it's cooler will handle an OC better.

Sometimes you're at the mercy of the luck (or unluck) of the draw though. The non reference model might have a very low ASIC like my 7970 OC non ref card, which is so bad at OCing I leave it at the stock 1000 core.

That said, that can happen with ANY card, ref or non ref, and at least with the Tri-X you know it can do 1040 and run cooler and quieter.
    Wonsu says thanks.
  9. Wonsu

Thanks Received:
    What do you mean by adding my own cooler?Like installing more fans?
  10. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    No you buy the TRI-X because it has been done right for you. He was talking about the other one with the rather poor stock cooler. People who plan to watercool or use another cooler buy those ones because they are usually a little cheaper and they will never use the stock cooler anyway
    Wonsu says thanks.
  11. Durvelle27

Durvelle27

Thanks Received:
    Definitely Tri-X
    Wonsu says thanks.
  12. THE_EGG

THE_EGG

Thanks Received:
    adding an aftermarket cooler from a company like Arctic Cooling or the like. example; http://www.arctic.ac/worldwide_en/products/cooling/vga/accelero-xtreme-iv.html

Personally I would get the tri-X as the cooler is already installed for you. And it as said above, it is one of the best coolers available from an AIB.
    Wonsu says thanks.
  13. Wonsu

Thanks Received:
    So the only noticeable/important difference between these two are the coolers?
  14. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    OH no not only is that Tri-X cooler superior in everyway the card even has nice factory overclock on it as well. The stock cooler can barely handle the stocks speeds. Trust me you couldn't have picked a better 290X and you should stop even looking at the reference card
    Wonsu says thanks.
  15. Wonsu

Thanks Received:
  16. THE_EGG

THE_EGG

Thanks Received:
    I'd go for the Vapor-X seeing you mentioned it. The backplate is a pretty cool feature to have along with having extra power going through 2* 8pin pcie connectors rather than 6+8pin pcie. Just be aware that the backplate may eat into the space for an expansion card to be placed above it.

You can't go wrong with a Tri-X OC or Vapor-X Tri-X, either one is a winner.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
    Wonsu says thanks.
  17. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Wonsu says thanks.
  18. Wonsu

Thanks Received:
    So this one is way or a bit better than tri-x?And i can't seem to find its price,do you know how much is it?
  19. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    That depends on where you live and what stores you have to buy from.
    Wonsu and THE_EGG say thanks.
  20. THE_EGG

THE_EGG

Thanks Received:
    Out of the box the Vapor-X is a little bit better than the tri-x oc. There is virtually no noticeable performance difference.

Amazon lists it for $637USD
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K2OJ38O/?tag=tec06d-20
    and they list the tri-x for $607USD.

For an extra $30 I think it is worth getting the vapor-x over the tri-x oc.

I haven't seen any here in Australia yet.
    Wonsu says thanks.
  21. sweet

Thanks Received:
    Vapor-X will be better when OC, with superior VRM cooling and 8+8 power delivery. However if you don't plan to feed more than +100mV to your card, you will be fine with Tri-X though.
    Wonsu says thanks.
  22. Wonsu

Thanks Received:
    Oh okay then,hmm i think i'll go with the vapor one.
    Thanks guys,i really appreciated all your help.
  23. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    You will be very pleased with it. Makes me a bit jelly as I know how good it will be, I have been using Sapphire since I had X1900's in Crossfire(remember The Dongle?)had them on water too. Had almost every flagship card from every ATI/AMD series since. Always Sapphire heck I bet some of them are still running in machines somewhere as I always try to pass my hardware along to those in need.. Best ATI/AND AIB. In fact if you can remember the actual ATI branded cards that always cost more well they were made by none other than.
    Wonsu says thanks.
  24. Wonsu

Thanks Received:
    Oh and i saw the two other tri-x something like a bf4 edition and a 512 bit one.Does it have a difference between the original?
  25. GhostRyder

GhostRyder

Thanks Received:
    They are all 512bit so that is no different on the 290/X series. The BF4 edition just means it comes with a free copy of BF4.