1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which GTX670?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Crazykenny, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Crazykenny

Crazykenny

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, looking for some advice regarding the 670 from Nvidia.

I'm planning to upgrade my old 570 at the end of the month and I have my eyes set on the GTX670. There are tons of versions, but the ones that drew my attention are:

ASUS GTX670 DCII TOP (http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/310942/asus-gtx670-dc2t-2gd5/specificaties/)
    EVGA GTX670 FTW (http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/324132/evga-geforce-gtx-670-ftw-sig2/specificaties/)

I have read on several sight that the overclocked TOP 670 performs nearly on the same levels as a stock 680, not sure if this is to be taken lightly though. The problem with the 670 TOP is that its pretty hard to come by here in the Netherlands. Delivery expectancy is around 10-14 days. I'm selling my old 570 to finance the card so that would leave me without a functional PC for 2 weeks, not exactly something I'm looking forward to, but will do if the pro's outweigh the con's.

Another thing to take into account is my step towards SLI in the upcoming months past this one, definetly going to 2 cards, but if the gains are big enough 3-way SLI is also considered.

So what do you guys think and recommend? Are there any other cards I should consider? Preferably within the €400 / $500 range. I rather not have a stock cooler on my card, so anything aftermarket and silent would be considered a big plus.
  2. adulaamin

adulaamin

Thanks Received:
    There have been reported issues with the Asus TOP card. I'd go with the EVGA. Excellent customer service and I see that it's also cheaper from the links you've given. :)
    Crazykenny says thanks.
  3. BiggieShady

BiggieShady

Thanks Received:
    Crazykenny says thanks.
  4. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Crazykenny says thanks.
  5. Crazykenny

Crazykenny

Thanks Received:
    What kinda issues?

Its a bit above my budget atm. I got a maximum of €420 spendoly this month and I'm not sure about that cooler, looks like a b*tch to clean.

You reckon it would stay quiet in SLI / Tri-SLI configurations? And should I be worried about the Mem-chips not being cooled as the review stated?
  6. centaurius

centaurius

Thanks Received:
    What about the gigabyte gtx 670 oc windforce 3x? Not so much factory OC sure, but looks solid, at least acoording to reviews.
  7. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    If you are going to be keeping this card for a while I'd go with the 4GB version: http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/318450/asus-gtx670-dc2-4gd5/specificaties/

I don't feel confident that 2GB will be enough for future games for very long. Just playing Bioshock a few minutes ago my VRAM usage was over 1.8GB, so already very close to going over the 2GB.

And I wouldn't worry too much about factory overclocks, the GTX670s all tend to overclock pretty similarly. And actually, I have that exact 4GB GTX470 in my rig right now and if I keep it under 80°C(it never goes over 60) then it actually boosts to the same boost clock as the TOP edition card.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  8. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    Go with the directcu 2 TOP 4GB waiting for it is worth trust me. I had one and i regret that i sell it !

American and Canadian versions had issues but they where very first release products now they are mature and have long reliability.

The Evga have not heatsinks on RAM this means they are not cooled, and if you want overclock in future is better to have them cooled.
  9. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    The noise and cooling performance on the Asus is about as close as you can get to an aftermarket cooler on a stock card. That's the one I'd pick.
  10. ReaperX87

Thanks Received:
    Your best bet is to also make sure they are 4 gig cards since alot of games coming out or recently released are eating up ram on cards. anything below 2gig is pointless now days.
  11. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I definitely agree that a 4GB card will give better results and will be more future-proof, especially since you're using 3 monitors according to your system specs.
    I have a 670 4GB myself. It crushes my previous HD5970 especially on high texture games.
  12. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Even if the cards can normally take running over the vram limit without missing a beat, that might change when next gen games start hitting. No more console vram limits to hold them back.
  13. Whitestar New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree. I also have the 4GB Asus DCII card. I selected it mostly for Skyrim modding but also for future proofing. Very silent and very fast.
  14. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    I always recommend the FTW. GTX680 PCB and cooler, and looks good. I wouldn't get the 4GB card because it doesn't gain anything for you if not its worse due to memory latency, unless you run multi-monitor, or maybe a single 30" 1600p monitor.

There are benchmarks that show that 4GB cards getting lower frames at resolutions at 1920 x 1080/1200 and lower.
  15. Crazykenny

Crazykenny

Thanks Received:
    I ordered the GTX 670 FTW Signature2. Should be arriving in 2 days :D Thanks for the advice guys :)
  16. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    hmm good card yes, but we 3monitors u should ran into vram usage fast, but again maybe that's also depending on the games u play.