1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which Hard Drive should I buy Thread!

Discussion in 'Storage' started by EastCoasthandle, Oct 25, 2009.

1. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, as the prices of hard drives fluctuate (cheaper right now) we as consumers need to know which hard drives are reliable, affordable and offer the best bang for the buck performance. Unfortunately, I don't know but those of you who have recently purchased a hard drive can give your experiences in this thread to let others know what may or may not be a good buy.

2. LittleLizard

LittleLizard

Thanks Received:
    Caviar Black, blue, 7200.12 or spinpoint F3

3. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    My vote goes to SpinPoint F3 as well.

4. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    Heres the Blue 2x320GB WD AAKS in Raid 0
    Get you 2 of these and put them in raid0.
    At about $55 apiece thats some good bang for the buck.
    Looks like there just as fast as the blacks also.
    [​IMG]

5. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    7200.12's are fast

WD Blue/Blacks are great..

If you are buying from egg, be warned I have had to RMA 3 640gb Blacks bad out of the bag, looks like a bad batch got through... Don't let this hurt your opinion of this drive, I have over 150 of them out in DVR's and servers and am yet to have one die.

Blue/Black speed- they are about dead equal unless you have a lot of stuff being accessed on them simultaneously, then the black takes off.

6. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    The 7200.12 1TBhas so many complaints over at the egg. Other then that the black and the Spin Point F3 sound interesting as well. And now seems to be the ideal time to get a 1TB drive!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  7. Bartuk New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a portable seagate drive mine is 250gb but you can get much larger ones and they are not expensive and really tiny

8. 1933 Poker

1933 Poker New Member

Thanks Received:
    Western Digital Black (***Skype***) 640GB (Black)

9. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    HELP with partitioning/format a hard drive from windows 7!

How do you partition a hard drive from windows 7? Device Manager shows the new hard drive but Computer nor explorer doesn't show it. I was hoping it would so I could partition it. But right now I need help figuring out how to partition/format the hard drive.

Edit:
    LOL, it was too easy. Go to:
    -Control Panel
    -System and Security
    -Create and format Hard Disk Parition
    Once I clicked on the above a popup screen called Initialize Disk came up with the option for
    MBR (Master Boot Record)
    GPT (Guid Partition Table): This may not be recognized by all previous versions of Windows. Recommended for disk larger then 2TB or disks using Itanium-based computers.
    Honestly I am not sure what they mean so I will look them up. But if you have an idea please feel free to tell me :).

Once that is done it will take you to Disk Management and you will see the new disk as Disk 1. Right click in the unallocated portion of Disk 1 and select the partition type. If you are simply adding another hard drive then select Simple Volume. However, you can click on each option to get an idea of what it means. (Simple, Spanned, Stripped, Mirror, Raid 5 Volumes).

When you are asked about Allocation unit size you can read this link for more details about it. The gist of it is that you can allocation a certain unit size where data is stored. So if you have 1K of data it will be saved on 4K of HD space. To some this is a waste of HD space. Others believe that it can decrease access time if a lower size is used.

Should you perform a quick format for a new hard drive that hasn't been formatted yet?
    source

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  10. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I've been using a 500gb and 1tb 7200.12 for a while now. I don't have a single complaint. Good performance and they are quiet. *Lol, didn't realize the age of this thread. :eek:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  11. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I didn't want to create a new thread asking how to partition and format the HD so I used an existing one I created.

12. Blueink New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi
    I wish there would be one answear but ill tell you my favorite till now is LaCie 2big Quadra 2TB a bit pricey but very good. For more you could check here and find more hard drives that fit your need

http://bestharddrives.blogspot.com/

13. FullBore

Thanks Received:
    Funny that several people above voted for Western Digital.
    I've had two WD hard drives FAIL on me, the first one being very, very painful... yeh, I should have backed up more. :)
    After that I switched to Seagate, and swore never to buy WD again. Seagate has treated me well, knock on wood.
    I would never buy on price alone, and would always make sure what I was buying had great reviews for reliability!