1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

which hdmi cable for my hp envy 173d?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by freebird_9924, Jul 15, 2012.

1. freebird_9924

Thanks Received:
    Hello,
    I've bought HP envy 17 3090NR 3D (High def) recently..

It has no VGA port.

so i want cable to connect my laptop to my LCD tv.

suggest me which cable i shd buy?

HDMI/any other cable will support audo also or only video is supported by these cables and for audio i need to atach separate speakers or laptop inbuilt audio itself?

any HDMI cable will support hd output or only specific HD HDMI laptop will support it?

Here is eBay India link and futurebazaar.com link

suggest me which cable i shd buy..
  2. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Use an HDMI cable, it will transmit both audio/video to your television with any modern laptop. Any brand will work.
    freebird_9924 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    HDMI 1.4 You will have to enable HDMI sound o your laptop in the sound preferences
    freebird_9924 and AlienIsGOD say thanks.
  4. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    There isn't much difference between cables. HDMI 1.3 should be fine unless you're planning on using Deep color or Ethernet over HDMI, which most devices don't quite support yet (even if the HDMI spec on the device has 1.4.) Honestly, any HDMI cable will most likely do what you need it to.
  5. SnoopKatt

SnoopKatt

Thanks Received:
    This. Don't worry about the brand too much either; digital is digital, so fancy Monster cables make no difference. Go to www.monoprice.com and check out the selection there.
  6. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    As a person who has spent hundreds of $$$ on HDMI cables, name brand and not name brand, i will say this: If all you want is signal then get something from Monoprice or BlueJeans, if in N/A. They have excellent product for the $$$ and if you have any issues their CS is top notch!

The main difference i have noticed between HDMI cables is you run into more handshake issues with off brands, other than that i don't think you will notice anything without specialized equipment.

That being said; i have all Monster HD1000's in my system/s and Emotivas as back-ups :eek:
  7. freebird_9924

Thanks Received:
    i'm from india, so can u suggest me from links i've posted in my thread?thx a lot..
  8. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just choose something of sutible length : ]

The signal sent down HDMI is 1s and 0s so it doesn't matter how fancy the cable is or not, the piece of equipment will be able to tell if it's a 0 or 1 still :D
  9. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    The only time you have to worry about the quality of the cable is at longer length. For anything 6ft or less, it really shouldn't matter. Even 15ft shouldn't matter, but any longer iirc is out of HDMI spec and requires extra shielding.

Not if the signal degrades and the device doesn't always get those 1s and 0s correct. Wi-Fi is digital too but you can still have reduced capacity because of various environmental anomalies.
  10. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah but he's pretty unlikely to have trouble like that with a standard size cable eh?
  11. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    cheap ones are fine for short distances. i got a 5M cable that cost $15, and it only works upto 1680x1050 - 1080p turns green.

i've had heaps of cheap cables under 3 meters, and they all work just fine.