1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which keyboards r mechanical?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by puma99dk|, Nov 13, 2011.

1. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    i got this keyboard atm:

[​IMG]

Logitech UltraX Premium Keyboard Black OEM German (Amazon.co.uk)

mine is just with danish layout not german :rockout:

but which mechanical keyboard to get bcs i don't want Razor or Logitech's G-Serie i think they are too big and got too many keys i will never use and it will be a waste of money i just need a decent keyboard maybe with some hotkeys like my Logitech here.

but is it true that on a mechanical keyboard u can hold down more buttons at once than a regular keyboard and it will detect them?
  2. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not all mechanical keyboards share the same functionality. The "mechanical" descriptor just means that the keys use mechanical switches. The rest of the functionality in the keyboards is completely up to the designer/manufacturer.

There is a lot of research to be done if you have never used them, or do not know the difference between the types of boards and switches.

The "being able to hold down more buttons at once" feature is totally dependent on the manufacturer. The mechanical nature of the keys doesn't influence that really, it's all about the delivery method and input. The phenomenon you're referring to is keyboard ghosting. This means a key you press doesn't show up or get sent to the computer. Some have anti ghosting, some don't.

Time to research :)

I use a couple mechanical boards myself, but it's impossible for me to recommend something to you. My two mechanical boards are wildly different, and use different key types, make different sounds, feel totally different, and so on. You need to try some out, and learn what the different key types feel like and how they function.
    SK-1 says thanks.
  3. Jarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    The IBM model M, only keyboard i've ever used
  4. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Yes, some Mechanical keyboards can register up to 6 key strokes together.
    The best thing about Mechanical keyboards is that you don't need to press the key completely for the stroke to register, it's awesome!

I personally own this one and I totally recommend it
    Mionix Zibal 60 Black USB Wired Gaming Mechanical ...

This one is good too, as far I've heard
    steelseries 7G 64022SS Black 104 Normal Keys USB o...

Razer has the Blackwidow, can't really tell much about is but honestly with the bad experience I've had with Razer I'd pick some information before purchasing again from them.

RAZER Black Wired BlackWidow Mechanical Gaming Key...

There is a more expensive Blackwidow, the Ultimate, it has more features etc.

When purchasing a mechanical keyboard I suggest you to documentate on the mechanical switch it uses :
    Cherry MX Black
    Cherry MX Brown
    Cherry MX Red
    Cherry MX Blue
    Cherry MX Clear

Every one is different (of course) I personally feel the Black MX very good and my Zibal uses black.
  5. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    You can get basic looking cherry keyboards that use their own brand mechanical switches.
  6. Maelstrom

Thanks Received:
    If a keyboard uses the PS/2 connector, you can press n number of keys and they will register. USB is limited to 6. I have a das keyboard model s ultimate silent (long name is long xD), and I love it. However, it is a basic keyboard, albeit a high quality one, so it doesn't have any extra feature keys.

Edit: This article might be helpful for you http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/mechanical-switch-keyboard,2955.html
  7. slueth New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to necro this thread but you should get a cmstorm quickfire rapid. It is tenkeyless, and has media keys. They should be coming to market for about $80. I got mines imported from pchome.
  8. uuuaaaaaa

Thanks Received:
    The best switches for gaming are the reds. they are linear like the blacks, but need less force to press. Reds and blacks do not have tactile feedback. I recommend you to check out Filco keyboards and Cherry keyboards. Make sure you buy a ps2 keyboard. I have the ss 7G and it is amazing.
  9. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    ino the keyboard, but don't like missing my "numpad" out in the right side of mah keyboard, but still nice price...
  10. slueth New Member

Thanks Received:
    The numpad is redundant, and it is more ergo to have the mouse closer to you. It isn't for everyone i guess :D. There is the filco, ducky, das, WASD keyboards also. I wouldn't recommend the black widow though. It is not good quality and just felt like pure :confused: me.