1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which laptop CPU to get?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by KBD, Sep 10, 2007.

1. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    A friend wants to buy a new laptop, mostly for school and possibly some gaming as well. i don't think he can spend more than $1000-$1200, i was wondering which mobile CPU to recomend. From what i've read the Turion X2 is far behind intel's offerings at the moment so i was thinking of suggesting something from intel. They have centrino duo, core solo, core duo and core 2 duo, i'm not sure whats the difference between them is and which one is the top dog. Can someone recomend something that would fit into his budget and offer good performance?
  2. gR3iF

gR3iF New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay here we go:

The core solo is one conreo chip with one time cache
    Core duo is 2 cores conroe with 1024 kb cache each chip
    core 2 duo is the one with 2048kb each chip

So the best performance has the core 2 duo chip
  3. error_f0rce

error_f0rce New Member

Thanks Received:
    Since most people don't OC their laptops, you'll pretty much have to pay for GHz you want. I just got a Dell 1720 w/ Core 2 Duo T7500 @ 2.2GHz and love it. If you are going to game on it I suggest upgrading as high as you can on the processor GHz since there is no easy safe way to add considerable speed to laptop processors without serious risk of overheating. (unless you're brave enough to take the dang thing apart, void your waranty and install some custom cooling; plus you usually have to use software to OC it which is weak anyway :shadedshu ). Higher CPU speed will also help compensate for the typically lack-luster offerings of graphics cards in most laptops. I got an Nvidia GForce 8600m GT (475MHz clock w/ 512MB) on mine and it plays F.E.A.R. and others beautifully.

All that to say, go Core 2 Duo and get all the GHz (stock) you can afford. Be sure to post and let us know what you ended up getting! :)