1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which memory for my camera

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by reverze, Dec 5, 2011.

1. reverze

Thanks Received:
    Very quick question:

I'm buying this camera within the next hour or so:

Canon ELPH 300 HS Black 12.1 MP 2.7" 230k LCD 5X O...

I want to know which memory I should buy for it and if anyone can recommend which brand or class.

PNY 32GB Micro SDHC Flash Card Model P-SDU32G10-EF...

I was looking at the one above.

EDIT:

Also, prior to this I've bought transcend.

This is class 6 and seems decent:

Transcend 32GB Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC)...

From reviews, it seems like Class 10 isn't always transferring at the proper rate..

32GB ... micro SDHC and it's class 10. The fastest I can find. The camera takes SDHC, but it comes with a converter for the card. Should I just look to get a normal non micro, or will this due fine?

Thanks!
  2. twilyth Guest

Class 10 is the fastest class, but there are also x (times) rating that go much higher - although I don't recall seeing those for sdhc chips lately - see here and the following section

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Speed_Class_Rating

I don't think the adapter matters as long as it makes good contact. I would personally prefer a micro chip with an adapter - just be sure it's a snug fit. That shouldn't be an issue though.
  3. reverze

Thanks Received:
  4. twilyth Guest

Good question. IDK. Maybe it's just a newegg thing. Could be different MTBFs.

this is the only difference i noticed: "Manufactured with brand-name SLC NAND Flash chips for extra long life and stability"
  5. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    The class 10 card also has a lifetime warranty vs the 2-year warranty on the other one.

edit: I think the reason for the price being higher on the class 6 card is because it's been on there a lot longer and the price just hasn't been properly adjusted yet, whereas the class 10 card is newer and was listed with a price that reflects today's market. Regardless, go for the class 10 card.
  6. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Class 10, reasoning same as TJ
  7. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    but you need to check your camera compability, on some cases they cannot read well
  8. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    class 10 is only going to matter if your using a DSLR camera
  9. N-Gen

N-Gen

Thanks Received:
    I will agree with this, but with the prices, you'd just go for faster. I tried Class 4 and Class 10 SDHCs on my Fuji S8100fd and there was no noticeable difference whatsoever. Video on my JVC 1080p camcorder however, that needs a Class 10.
  10. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    not true, i use SDHC cards in my phones, and even on my keyrings as portable media storage.

the thing is, the lower class ones love to stutter and pause. class 10 might be overkill in read speeds, but in write speeds where it really matters - you can never have enough. i have class 2/4/6 and 10 cards, and anything below the class 6 is too slow to use for anything but MP3 storage and <4MP photos.
  11. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    I didnt say he couldnt use SDHC cards i said CLASS 10 DOESNT MATTER UNLESS YOU ARE USING A DSLR CAMERA
  12. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Absolutely false, even my 10MP point and shoot struggles with Class 6 when I choose rapid capture. It starts off fast, then slows down to a crawl whereas if I use Class 10 I can keep my speed.
    yogurt_21 says thanks.
  13. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    high speed shooting could be a exception
  14. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    It's just excrutiating waiting for the screen to say "Processing" for a second then "Saving" for 3 seconds with a low-class memory card. Especially when you know you've only got a short amount of time to catch the child's smile or the bird that's about to fly away.
    I will never use anything less than a Class 6 in a camera because I like need instant saving with photo's, and also because I'm very impatient :laugh:

Also, if the camera records video in HD, you'll want a high-class memory card to be able to "save the frames" quick enough, otherwise you camera may automatically limit your recording to a low fps if it detects a low speed card ;)
  15. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    class ten memory FTW

i even use it on my phone :D
  16. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    don't see why this is an argument, extra speed can never hurt, only gain and the price difference between a class 10 and a class 4 are negligible.

simply put never buy lower speed memory cards. For one you never know what you'll end up using it for and 2 it's horrible pannign through thousands even hundreds of photos on a slow memory card.