1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which Monitor Should I Get?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by the_professor, Oct 23, 2008.

1. the_professor New Member

Thanks Received:
    Howdy TPU'ers!

At the moment I'm looking at an LCD, a Samsung 24"... I'll get either 22" or 24"... trying to find a quality monitor at a good price for that size. I'm hoping to get 1920x1200 resolution if possible. (If I can get a lower price, that'll be awesome.)

What's good?

Thanks! :)

2. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
  3. Silverel

Silverel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah, the 22" will be cheaper, but at 16x10.
    and the 24" will cost more, but at 19x12.

What do you plan on doing? Gaming? Movies?

Depends on your graphics card as well.

4. the_professor New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's a nice one, I had it on my shopping list at one point and read reviews that made me go more for Samsung, though if I get a better deal overall on a non-Samsung I'm totally cool with that. :)

1/2 gaming, 1/2 music production, plus movies/tv shows/etc off the hard drive or off of DVDs.
    Gaming... can't go wrong with big screens.
    The music production really needs more screen size and space for the apps I'll have open.
    Movies/tv shows... I'm assuming I'll need to make sure it has certain I/Os if I want to watch real tv with it, though I'm only going to watch movies/tv shows off of the computer itself.

...okay off to teaching now... :)

p.s.- I'm thinking about getting nvidia's 9800gtx+.

5. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    What games are you going to play? Since gaming on 19x12 is pretty laggy for some games.

6. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, you really need to post the rest of your system specs. If you want to play higher end games and have a 4850 or under, then I would say that the 22" would be better. Acer makes nice monitors, I love mine and it looks better than my friends LG 22".

7. Silverel

Silverel New Member

Thanks Received:
    The gaming is the important part, on a 9800gtx+ you could handle 19x12 fairly well. I'd recommend the 22" however. For added productivity, I find it's a LOT better to have an entirely separate screen. Find a cheapo 17" monitor to do your graphic-lite work on, and go with dual monitors. You'll love it so much more than trying to share room among a half dozen different apps.

I got a second monitor at work and loved it so much I picked one up for having at home. Nothing better. Not even 2 inches bigger on my main could make me switch back.

8. the_professor New Member

Thanks Received:
    Due to NDA/non-disclosure agreement, I cannot say. :( It will be out next year... currently testing. I can ask them how 19x12 responds. You make a good point though, if it will be laggy or anything like that then I might be better off with 22" for gaming.

For music production, though, the 24" will help tremendously. One of the recording studios I've worked in at university has 24" as well as larger screens or multiple smaller screens. An old computer in an older studio at university has a smaller monitor (19"?) and it's a real headache. It'd be nice to have 2 screens for that computer, though it's a low priority studio.

I will most likely get nvidia rather than ati, simply due to Linux compliance, though I had originally considered ati, I like it a lot. nVidia's the way to go for this computer, though.

I have seen some excellent Acer monitors. I could very well get that instead of Samsung or "other".

Anyway, I'll post more later, including some info on other computer components... now I have to inhale dinner and teach more music. ;)

EDIT/UPDATE:

I made my decision, ended up getting the:
    Acer P244Wbii Glossy Black 24" 2ms HDMI 16:9 Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 20000:1
    ...it will be arriving from newegg this week. :)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008