1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which monitor?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by stevorob, Mar 4, 2010.

1. stevorob

stevorob New Member

Thanks Received:
    So, I've been looking at monitors for bit now and have decided to take the plunge and purchase a large widescreen monitor. I had some requirements in mind, such as 1920x1080 resolution, >22" display, and an HDMI input (for my xbox/ps3)

I had narrowed down my choice to this, was waiting for some extra funds to come in...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236049

However, today I see this while just doing some browsing
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009179

It screamed "BUY ME BUY ME BUY ME!"... both have gotten great reviews, but I'm trying to figure, is the Asus worth $60 MORE for an extra inch of screen and the 3ms less response? They both practically have similar features.

Would like some opinions from anyone that has owned either of these monitors to chime in.

Thanks all in advance

2. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I like Asus more, but not enough to warrant a $60 premium over the Acer. You can get the Acer one, but if there is problems, then good luck with the RMA but this should be very rare. I don't own any of the screens though.

stevorob says thanks.
  3. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    Something to keep in mind is that the Asus is 2ms GTG This means that is takes 2ms to go from Grey to White to Grey, where as alot of monitors use BTB, meaning Black to White to Black. IDK if that is what the Acer is spec'd off of, but I would do my research. Look for monitor response time that is BTB instead of GTG. GTG is kind of cheating IMO. I use an Asus 21.5 1920x1080 and love it, but in this case, I think the Acer might be the better buy.

stevorob says thanks.
  4. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    i literally just placed an order for that acer about 5 minutes ago, if you wait ~3 days i can give you a review :toast:
    [​IMG]

5. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Will the stock last till then?

6. stevorob

stevorob New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for replies everyone. Payday is tomorrow and I think this sale might not be going on much longer, or if stock will last.

7. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    I like the ASUS i have the same but 21.5" but for the price i would get the Acer or you could always get this monitor LOL i had to i just found this its great

stevorob says thanks.
  8. stevorob

stevorob New Member

Thanks Received:
    Anyone else have any input?

9. freakshow

freakshow

Thanks Received:
    i got a Asus 24" 1080p monitor and i love it its not the same one u was looking at but still an Asus they make good monitors:toast:

10. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    I would pay the extra and get the Asus, normally I am a serious cheapskate but when it comes to LCDs I want the best I can afford.

I paid quite a bit more for my 24 but it was well worth it

While its not too scientific I bought an Acer LCD once and it was nothing but problems.
    (and Im not a big fan of Asus CS but they make great stuff)

also the better viewing angle of the Asus is another buying point.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
    stevorob says thanks.
  11. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    if that is the case, i must say that neither asus nor acer qualify. samsung produces the best oem lcd panels (note, asus and acer don't produce their own panels, they from oems, such as proview, and hyundai..). also, samsung also has a great pixel policy, whereas with the other companies, if you have a couple of stuck pixels, you'll have to live with it...

my personal favorite is this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001317&cm_re=2343BWX-_-24-001-317-_-Product

newegg used to carry it for like $190 but they ran out or something..
    here's amazon and samsung:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001N0H8YW/?tag=tec06d-20
    http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/...E/ZA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&returnurl=

very high pixel density for a very nice resolution, and very nice quality.

stevorob says thanks.
  12. stevorob

stevorob New Member

Thanks Received:
    That is a nice monitor, real high resolution, but is lacking and HDMI input, which is something I really want to have a new monitor. Thanks for the suggestion though. :toast:

13. stevorob

stevorob New Member

Thanks Received:
    Still looking for input

I noticed the price on the 2nd monitor has gone up $10, but that's still a $50 difference.

14. IggSter

IggSter

Thanks Received:
    I'll throw in my tupence:

Currenty I have a 24" Acer 1920 x 1080, a 24" Dell 1920 x 1200 and a 30" Dell 2560 x1600.

The Acer cost around £140
    The Dell 24 around £400
    The Dell 30 around £1000

The Acer is a TA panel so is fast but colours and contrast are not that great

The Dell 24 is a S-PVA panel and is trually awesome.

The Dell 30 is a S-IPS panel and is great but not quite as good as the Dell 24.

If possible I would recommend skipping a 1080 screen and going the full 1200 (the extra pixels really do make a huge difference).

For gaming a TA panel is probably the best compromise (who really notices colours etc when shooting people in the face)

One of the best bang for buck (IMHO) is the Samsung SM2433BW 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor - no idea if that is in your price range, but i know i would rather spend £200 on a monitor and be happy than spend £140 and be really disappointed.

stevorob says thanks.
  15. CounterZeus

CounterZeus

Thanks Received:
    I have the cheap version of the asus one. it's a nice screen, you won't be disappointed.

stevorob says thanks.