1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which motherboard brand has failed on you the most?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by tkpenalty, May 18, 2008.

?

Which motherboard manufacturer has had the most amount of dead motherboards for you?

1. ASUS

25.2%
  2. Gigabyte

18.0%
  3. MSI

10.8%
  4. Asrock

6.3%
  5. Abit

10.8%
  6. Nvidia (Reference designs, XFX, EVGA, etc)

5.4%
  7. Intel

2.7%
  8. DFI

1.8%
  9. ECS

10.8%
  10. Others (Please mention)

8.1%
  1. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    So anyway, this poll is just to clear up some things I have been wondering about several motherboard manufacturers and their apparent "quality". Take note I am not using this thread to bash any specific manufacturer.

Basically the common manufacturers and the ones I'm most curious about (Namely, Gigabyte and ASUS) will be options, others will be in the "others" option.

So yeah, vote for whichever brand that has completely failed on you the most. Don't vote if nothing has happened to you as you are just screwing around with the reliability of the results.

(No fanboi flame wars too).

Please mention which brand failed on you if you chose "Others"

Do not vote if you have never had faliures. It is advised to vote based on a board that broke at the oldest, five years ago.
    Last edited: May 20, 2008
  2. Duxx Guest

Used ECS, Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, and none have ever failed on me to date. ECS is going on i think 4 years, the rest have been within the last 2. Is there supposed to be a poll at the top? I dont see one :(

There it is!
  3. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    Note, do not vote unless the board has failed on you.
  4. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Tk, you made the blunder of missing out ECS, talk to a mod, add that option, sit back with popcorn to see the graphs shoot up.
  5. Duxx Guest

Haven't voted on anything... :confused: Didn't plan on it anyways, just giving my .02.
  6. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    :roll:

funny . . .

I've only ever had one mobo die, and it was an ABIT.

I've used quite a few different brands over the years, but I've had more ASUS boards than any other, and have never had one fail.
  7. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    Biostar is the manufacturer with the most I bet.:laugh:

Biostar's recent offerings haven't been bad but a while back they were awful.
  8. Silverel

Silverel New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've had two socket A Asus boards that could never get the AGP slot to work for more than a couple days. It'd always revert to the PCI-bus. Not to mention half the ports would die off over time. My socket A rig at the moment doesn't have working PS2 ports, and 3 of 6 dead USB ports.
  9. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Gigabyte is on my "Do not buy unless its 100% off" list.
  10. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    ASUS and Gigabyte, two of the bigger names are duking it out right now in the polls :p
  11. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    I had a gigabyte board explode on me recently, tho it was prolly a problem with the psu !
  12. zCexVe

zCexVe

Thanks Received:
    The .02 from mine is the more the mobos you use from a company,the higher will be their graphs here.There is always a chance to fail 1 from 100k rather than 1 from 1k.:DAnyway I've been like parttime in my friends PC shop,We do ASUS,FOXCONN,ASrock,Biostar.Others time to time.Most failures will be Mercury(Rebadged ECS),ECS,gigabyte(2004~06).We only had 1 failure for Asrock for 1000 mobos.Since we do not do ASUS very much(They are expensive)I cant have a good opinion on them.FOXconn had some performance issues with 945CM-S and it is fixed in CMX.
  13. zCexVe

zCexVe

Thanks Received:
    We Asians seem to have good knowledge on ECS and Mercury(Rebadged ECS,although they forget to remove the ECS part from onboard GPU vendor ID :p).:D
  14. marsey99

marsey99

Thanks Received:
    i cant add more than 1 vote but i have had 1 board from a few different makers fail on me.

1 nvid ref
    1 asrock (i knew it was going to fail but i still let the temps get out of hand :twisted)
    1 asus
  15. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    I assume that most of you guys are male...but I remember we only had "on/off" switches and not "on ,maybe, <stuff in between> then off"

Only vote if a board is dead. end of story! Don't vote if you hate a manufacturer but never had a dead board.

Even though its too early to decide, I will predict that intel has the lowest amount of faliures. Pretty easy to know why.

I've had 3xx Dead gigabytes, 2x dead GA P31 DS3L in the store I worked at (I'd blame bad shipping practises as the box containing the boards ended up pretty battered), and one dead GA P965 S3-as a result of the marvel yukon NIC taking out the board.
  16. zCexVe

zCexVe

Thanks Received:
    Yeah :D What is there in them to fail?So less stuff built in.:p
  17. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    last year between christmas and new year my AsRock ALiveNF7G-HDready Bios chipped died, just for an update so AsRock shipped me a new one, that was not the greatest moment of my life. and my dad's AsRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 can only run he's Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 at 2300mhz but it say at bios 2400mhz even with the newest bios, and not the internet has start to go if u connect a usb harddrive in the usb ports in the motherboard :banghead:

picture of Bios P1.90: AsRock.4CoreDual-SATA2.bios.jpg and XP with CPU-Z AsRock_4CoreDual-SATA2.jpg
    (So if anyone have a idea how to fix it, other when to say go out and buy a new motherboard, p.m me or something. i had tried to disable and enable "EIST" and "Advanced Host Conf: Pipeline DRQCTL", but if i just try to set the multipler from 266 to 267mhz XP will not start.)

and last time i had Asus was at socket 939 where both PCI-E was dead, so now i'm going with DFI or Gigabyte they have never failed for me :D
  18. echo75 New Member

Thanks Received:
    this vote will not be objective enough, ofc the mobos that are bought most will be the ones with the highest episodes of problems.

Look at the poll results, no one / very few buy intel boards ofc the rate of "failing" will be less since there arent many to expirience failures.
  19. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    From a logical standpoint its obvious why Intel boards generally are the most reliable in server environments/normal usage. Take for example, their 865 boards to this date still work fine, and they are abundant in that form of usage. However when you compare to other manufacturers, 865 boards are something that usually are dead. Its to do with the fact that Intel designs their boards to work well, and obviously comply with the standards that they impose themselves, as opposed to the other manufacturers who may avert that.

Its like their CPUs.
  20. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    I dont think Intel boards can even OC for a crap anyway so why would enthusiasts buy them :p
  21. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    Narrow minded...Enthusiasts make up less than 1% of PC users. Don't OC for crap? Its mainly their bios limits that impose that...
  22. Scheich

Thanks Received:
    My last 939 gigabyte died after half a year for unknown reasons, but thats not much compared
    to the 15 others i used, which mainly came from asus.
  23. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    The ONLY motherboard failures I've ever had to deal with were from ASUS based boards...still love using em' tho. But I've gone through ECS, Gigabyte, DFI, Foxconn, Gateway OE stuff, Packard Bell OE stuff, Compaq OE stuff...and when I purchased a Non-OE ASUS board it failed during OC purposes, the DFI, ECS and Gigabyte boards all have done quite well in OC purposes, the ASUS stuff was damn good, and I still think they make good products...but I go for best-bang-for-the-buck...they don't win me over as much anymore on that standpoint.
  24. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    The only board I've ever had die on me, is a reference 680i. I had it running for less than a full day. Went up in smoke when I started 3DMark 06.
  25. GLD

GLD

Thanks Received:
    None have died on me. I did murder an ASUS A8N5X when a screwdriver slipped and nicked a trace while removing a oem 939 hs.