1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which one???

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by freaksavior, Jan 8, 2007.

1. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    I am saving my $$ to get either a hd-dvd player for my xbox or watercooling for my pc. So which one do you people think i should get?

Hd-dvd add on drive for the xbox 360
    or
    Thermatake Big water 745 water cooling (or other recommended water cooling kit)

If i went water cooling i would need a vga block as well. so can i get the water cooling for the same price as the hd-dvd add on, and if so wich one should i get?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.!.

2. Greek

Greek New Member

Thanks Received:
    personally i would go with watercooling, but then again that depends on your current temps and whats your aim, i.e. overclock . i think the 360 costs a lot for a console anyway so adding on stuff to it it's worthless. thats what i think anyway.

3. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    my cpu temp is about 50c idle and my gpu is 38c idle. I want to overclock it but my board won't let me so i won't actually be over clocking very high. My gpu is overclocked to the xt pe (see system specs)

Under load add about 15c to the card and 20c to the cpu

4. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    i vote replace your mobo with a nice clockers board and pick up a decent 3rd party CPU cooler, 50c idle, even for a P4, is kinda on the toasty side.

5. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    I don't have enough cash to get a new mobo. I since i have a agp card and ddr memory i would have to upgrade the mem as well and i just can't do it.

How much do you think the Thermaltake would lower my cpu temp? If it was only 10c would it really be worth $150
    Also what gpu waterblock should i get if i got w/ watercooling?

6. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    sorry m8 im not a water man, air or exotic cooling only. i can tell u tho unless u have 400+ to drop on a water setup u wont get anything that can noticably out-perform top quality air.

7. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    ok so watercooling, air, or HD-dvd player? @Ketxxx you say air so wich one? Also it has to be quite i hate my pc running like an f-22

8. hv43082

Thanks Received:
    Go with air (at most it's $60) and have some money left over for HD-dvd player. However, do keep in mind that some companies are making dvd players that can play both blue ray and hd dvd.

9. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    so which one?

10. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    IMO (since I have an Xbox 360 as well), I would get the HD-DVD Add-On for the Xbox 360, and get a good CPU Cooler (Freezer 7 Pro/Big Typhoon/CNPS9500), but not Liquid Cooling to save money.

11. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
  12. rizzo

rizzo New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you're not overclocking you dont need water. Those temps are high but i think you either have a divet in your proccesor heat shield/cpu cooler (need lapped) or you might have applied too much/to little thermal paste.

13. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    I would over clock it, but my system crashes @ 3.50ish so i don't know if it's heat or just crap mobo. I really want to water cool it but i keep reading unless i over clock i don't need it. but i don't want air because of the last fan i bought. although it did only have 10 reviews and most of the zalman have 500+ reviews, i'm still skeptical of air cooling.

14. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    First of all, you should of done more research on that fan before you bought it. Zalman is an awesome cooling company. I would recommend the Freezer 7 Pro or the Zalman CNPS9500.
    I have a Zalman CNPS7700Cu and I get 29F idle and 32F load. (I can even turn off my fan completely. After about 30 seconds, the CPU will heat up to about 35F, rising about 1 degree every 5-10 seconds. That thing is seriously cold.) I'd trust anything by Zalman, but I heard that Arctic Cooling's Freezer 7 can perform just as good. You should be able to overclock as far as the moon with either of those. The Zalman is going to look a lot cooler (and possibly be quieter), but the Freezer 7 will do the job as well (at a cheaper price).

Arctic Cooling's fans are 80mm, so they're going to be higher pitched, but my Arctic Fan 8 (case fan) is very silent. Zalman's fan is 120mm, which are known to be silent. Another good thing about the Zalman is that it will also include the Zalman Fanmate, a fan speed controller. That'll let you turn the fan speed down to something very slow, rendering the beast silent (yet still very cold). When you turn the speed up, the Zalman can make a little bit of noise, but it'll be at a lower pitch than an 80mm fan.

HD-DVD? Nah. Wait for that. There isn't much competition out yet. Wait for a few manufacturers to get in the HD-DVD game and you can expect to see prices drop like flies.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    Well i have to run out to fry's and get norton so i think i will get the zalman fan and try it out since it's not anymore $$ than newegg.

I'll let you know how it did.

16. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Good luck. (Zalman, AC Freezer PRO 64 or TT Big Typhoon are awesome. I own the Big Typhoon and am happy with it)

17. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    ok i just got to looking and there is a zalman 9500 and 9700 wich is better? the 9500 is cheaper and i think thats the one fry's has.

18. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    9700 is better ;)

19. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
  20. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    The smaller fan is going to be higher pitched (and more annoying). I'd go for the larger one (yes, it's worth it).

Decibels? Lower is better. The higher it is, the louder it is. Same thing with this new "Sone" thing that manufacturers are trying to pull on us.

I remember going from my Thermaltake Volcano to my Zalman CNPS. Went from 60 Db to 25 Db. SUCH a difference. Every Decibel counts. It's personal preference, though.

Crunching for Team TPU
  21. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    Ok lowered my temp 12c that good? i know lower is better but from 48 to 36 is that a good improvement? and i also reapplied the theraml grease to my gpu and it lowered it another 2c so the grease helps.

22. rizzo

rizzo New Member

Thanks Received:
    From 48 to 36 is fantastic for air. It might even drop a couple more once the as5 kicks in. If you used as5 that is.

23. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    ok good, i didn't use as5 i used the stuff it came with. is that stuff any good?

24. rizzo

rizzo New Member

Thanks Received:
    It might get you a couple more degrees drop but it looks like your're fine with those temps. I wouldnt bother with it.

25. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    ok cool, thanks for all your help.