1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which part is dead?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Pinchy, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im assuming its the motherboard.

I got this old laptop off a friend which I am trying to repair.

The problem: Press the power button and get no response at all. Nothing happens, no fans spin, no lights come on..nothing. Nothing with the AC adapter, battery or both.

What I have tried: I have pulled it apart, taken out the motherboard battery for 5 mins (assuming that will reset the CMOS), tested the 5GB disk drive (working fine), taken out the CD drive and taken out the floppy drive (lol).

Additional notes: I just cant seem to find where the RAM is located on the machine. It doesnt appear to be anywhere :p (Unless its on the other side of the board, which I cant access). Also, when the charger is plugged in (with the battery), the green battery charge/AC adapter light turns on, so there is some sort of working part.

Just a project for fun guys, so dont say "just get a new laptop" ;) :D

Cheers

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Not sure what's broken, but the ram is most likely placed on the backside of the motherboard.

Pinchy says thanks.
  3. nflesher87

nflesher87 Staff

Thanks Received:
    wow, seems like a lost cause bro
    I'm highly doubting it's the memory (though it could indeed be dead as well haha) but if you're not even getting it to boot that would indicate the motherboard as bad memory would simply result in not posting...
    who knows where you'd even find a replacement mobo though, what's the make/model?

Pinchy says thanks.
  4. xylomn

xylomn New Member

Thanks Received:
    it could just be the buttons knackered...

find where the power button connects to the mobo and short it with anything metallic :)

Pinchy says thanks.
  5. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    some laptops have the ram under the keyboard .

Pinchy says thanks.
  6. rangerone766

rangerone766

Thanks Received:

alot of the older laptops i've fussed with had ram under the kb.

let us know what make and model you have.

Pinchy says thanks.
  7. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry bout the late reply, just woke up :D.

Its a ... Compaq Presario 1200. I actually had to take out the keyboard to get to the motherboard, lol.

The motherboard battery has been out of the laptop all night, lets give her a try now :).

I was thinking of that, but the button is in such an awkward position :shadedshu

:roll:

8. Error 404

Error 404

Thanks Received:
    Ok, it looks like it has built in RAM, which could be anywhere on the mobo, unless it has some expansion RAM. If it does have added RAM, it should be on the underneath. Look under any removable panels, or if its not under there then it would be under the keyboard.
    If its not the RAM, then its almost certainly a dead mobo; if thats the case, then a replacement would probably cost more than the original laptop :shadedshu

My advice: Find out how much the motherboard costs, then find a similar specced laptop on eBay for about the same price. Either way, you'd end up with a working laptop. :cool:

Pinchy says thanks.
  9. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
    you could check to see if theres any dead/blown capasitiors things get hot inside laptops also check the power conection on the motherboard it can somtimes work loose and will need resoldering.

Pinchy says thanks.
  10. guyguy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Take a multimeter and measure the voltage on the power supply to charge the battery, if thats alright it might be the small power supply in the computer that the charger plugs into and if thats gone the battery wont charge and you wont get any power from the charger. Suggestion if you cant get anything ill take it.....and take a look at it for you..im taking Electronics at school....but anyway i just got off topic...lol

Pinchy says thanks.
  11. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I think if it was bad ram it would still power up. Once I saw a friend's laptop which had faulty ram. It used to power up, stop in the 'ram test' phase and display on the monitor the laptop brand, getting stuck there.

Pinchy says thanks.
  12. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yup I am pretty sure I saw the onboard RAM and in the expansion slot there is nothing. But as mentioned, it should still at least start up.

@ the mobo thing, probably wont be worth it :laugh:. I searched for the laptop and got nothing but AC chargers anyway.

First thing I checked when I opened it all up. No problems with any of them (well, physically anyway).

I wouldnt think the actual power connection is gone because it does respond when I plug in the AC charger (via the green battery charge LED).

I might try that.

Id give you the laptop, but it isnt mine and it wouldnt be worth the shipping :p