1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which power supply for which computer

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Pinchy, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im not sure on which power supply to put into my HTPC and which to put into my m-ATX.

Specs of the mATX are in sig, specs of HTPC are:
    AMD 4850e, 2gb RAM, 640GB HDD, onboard HD3200 gfx (780G...could get a low end dedicated as well, ie, hd3450), wireless n card, tv tuner.

Very low powered machine, shouldnt use much.

Now the two PSUs:

One is the Thermaltake TR2 RX (Modular) I currently have in my mATX and the other is a Vantec 450W, which I havent purchased yet. (Sort of a review here: http://www.edmw.sg/viewtopic.php?f=12&p=1847370)

Now I was originally just going to leave the TR2 as is and put the Vantec in the HTPC *but* I thought about swapping them. The main reason for the swap is that the TR2 is modular, and I am using all the cables anyway. If I was to put the TR2 in the HTPC I will only need 2 of the 4 sets of cables plugged in. Also, the cable structure of the Vantec better suits my mATX with the four SATA connections as opposed to two.

Im also thinking about efficiency and which PSU would do better in which rig.

Any suggestions :D?

2. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You should only switch if you are having problems. Both PSU's seems fine in the rigs.