1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which Razer Blackwidow mechnical keyboards, sound like a type writer?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by tuunade98, Jan 8, 2014.

1. tuunade98

Thanks Received:
    Im just wondering, i love the type writer sound and wonder which ones have it. There are like 3 types of razer black widow keyboards, the tournament edition seems like the cheapest one. What are their differences exactly? Besides the ultimate lighting up behind each botton, whats the difference between the tournament, expert and ultimate.

2. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Razer Blackwidow MX Blue's. I have one, and never use it because its too god damn loud. Switched to reds on a K90, but the Blackwidow is the common typewriter one. The standard has no lights, the ultimate has lights. Never heard of this ridiculous tournament edition.

3. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    All razer black widows use the same MX blue switches so they all sound like typewriters.

4. tuunade98

Thanks Received:
    I know i'm a bit off topic now, but which keyboard would you guys recommend? Im looking at the Ducky DK2108S Shine Zero Mech Keyboard Blue LED Cherry Blue and the blackwidow keyboards. I don't think i will be getting the ultimate edition though, due to its cost, so im deciding between the tournament and expert editions for the blackwidow keyboards. I have asked around already and a lot of my friends are telling me to get the ducky, because a lot of them have had problems with razer keyboards in the past. I just want opinions from some people on this forum, because i have used this forum before and found it pretty reliable.

5. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    I have a blackwidow(custom key bindings FTW) elite for 2 years with 0 issues and my razer naga epic that broke got replaced in 1 week(through my retailer) so I can't say that razer is bad I unfortunately don't know anything about Ducky.

6. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    I've got a blackwidow 2013, and both myself and everyone around me(mainly the GF), can confirm it sounds like a typewriter :D.

The feel is awesome though, and I really start to miss the clicky stuff when typing on other keyboards.

7. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Friend has a Razer Blackwidow (not sure which edition). They have fixed the keyboard problem, so I think it will last as long as most others. As for mechanical keyboards, I really recommend getting one without lighting because its more likely than not the lights will die before the keyboard, so it becomes an expensive expense.

8. tuunade98

Thanks Received:
    what was the problem exactly? i heard you could brick your keyboard, which will make it completely useless. Im guessing that is fixed already?

9. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i have one, black widow ultimate (with the LED's) like it. there is a stealth edition which is silent, the rest are all MX blues and noisy.

10. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I got one. Its nice and nosey. Honestly I like it a lot. Just be careful of the firmware updates on it. You have to install that horrible Razor software to update the firmware now. If the keyboard works fine then leave the updated firmware and drivers OFF. I thought I bricked mine one day before I figured out what keys to hold upon boot to reset it. The only thing I can see the firmware even did was turn the light on the Razor logo.

11. Paladone

Thanks Received:
    I have one (MX blue) but I also have a Ducky DK9008 (MX red I believe) and I prefer the black widow; just personal opinion I guess.

12. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Only think I don't like about the Black Widow is you can't just unscrew the key switches and the hideous plastic shell on it. Otherwise it was a solid keyboard for me.

Paladone says thanks.
  13. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Any keyboard with the CherryMX Blue key switches will have the type writer sound, due to the distinctive click the key makes at the actuation point.

[​IMG]

Here's just a diagram of the MX blue switch. The little clear-ish white part that drops, is what creates the click sound that a lot of typist turn to for their key type in their keyboard.

Mussels says thanks.
  14. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I hate it when my keyboard keeps asking me awkward questions about my personal life.

15. TomGuru New Member

Thanks Received:
    The 2014 Edition of the Black Widow is more noisy and clicky than the 2013 Edition. Hear it:

16. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Yes it is although it's a little more silent when you get used to not bottoming out the keys.. The build of the keyboard don't help much either but it's mainly down to being blue cherry's

17. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    My mates blackwidow comes with cherry MX green switches and we call it the type writer as its so damn load. Its the most annoying keyboard Ive ever used. All you can hear over mic in games is his damn keyboard going click click click and the lettering on the keys are just horrible, its a nightmare to type on without making mistakes.

18. rooivalk

rooivalk

Thanks Received:
    IIRC there's no blackwidow with MX Green, maybe it's 2014 blackwidow with Razer own mechanical keys, but it's not a Cherry MX (a copycat of it actually).

19. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:

its basically the same thing really but not made in Germany, and I hate them.

20. TUngsten

TUngsten

Thanks Received:
    I use a CM Storm Trigger Z (uses cherry brown switches which are just slightly less noisy)
    I really love it - never was a fan of the Razer boards, though I do like their mice.

21. marsey99

marsey99

Thanks Received:
    reds are quiet unless you mash them down.

o-rings will help you then. but reds are very light and the click of the blues makes typos much less frequent.

22. rooivalk

rooivalk

Thanks Received:
    in gaming you'll always mash them down tho

23. Hilux SSRG

Hilux SSRG

Thanks Received:
    Not true, I've got browns on my Ducky Shine 2 and I've "trained"/gotten accustomed to not bottoming out. Once you "feel" the bump it activates the keystroke.

24. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Get a Coolermaster Storm Quickfire, its cheaper and much higher quality than the Razer Blackwidows. Razer has a mediocre reputation in the mechanical kb world. If you want high end get a Filco or Ducky etc.

Melvis says thanks.