1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which Razer Blackwidow mechnical keyboards, sound like a type writer?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by tuunade98, Jan 8, 2014.

1. tuunade98

Thanks Received:
    Im just wondering, i love the type writer sound and wonder which ones have it. There are like 3 types of razer black widow keyboards, the tournament edition seems like the cheapest one. What are their differences exactly? Besides the ultimate lighting up behind each botton, whats the difference between the tournament, expert and ultimate.
  2. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    Razer Blackwidow MX Blue's. I have one, and never use it because its too god damn loud. Switched to reds on a K90, but the Blackwidow is the common typewriter one. The standard has no lights, the ultimate has lights. Never heard of this ridiculous tournament edition.
  3. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    All razer black widows use the same MX blue switches so they all sound like typewriters.
  4. tuunade98

Thanks Received:
    I know i'm a bit off topic now, but which keyboard would you guys recommend? Im looking at the Ducky DK2108S Shine Zero Mech Keyboard Blue LED Cherry Blue and the blackwidow keyboards. I don't think i will be getting the ultimate edition though, due to its cost, so im deciding between the tournament and expert editions for the blackwidow keyboards. I have asked around already and a lot of my friends are telling me to get the ducky, because a lot of them have had problems with razer keyboards in the past. I just want opinions from some people on this forum, because i have used this forum before and found it pretty reliable.
  5. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    I have a blackwidow(custom key bindings FTW) elite for 2 years with 0 issues and my razer naga epic that broke got replaced in 1 week(through my retailer) so I can't say that razer is bad I unfortunately don't know anything about Ducky.
  6. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    I've got a blackwidow 2013, and both myself and everyone around me(mainly the GF), can confirm it sounds like a typewriter :D.

The feel is awesome though, and I really start to miss the clicky stuff when typing on other keyboards.
  7. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Friend has a Razer Blackwidow (not sure which edition). They have fixed the keyboard problem, so I think it will last as long as most others. As for mechanical keyboards, I really recommend getting one without lighting because its more likely than not the lights will die before the keyboard, so it becomes an expensive expense.
  8. tuunade98

Thanks Received:
    what was the problem exactly? i heard you could brick your keyboard, which will make it completely useless. Im guessing that is fixed already?
  9. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i have one, black widow ultimate (with the LED's) like it. there is a stealth edition which is silent, the rest are all MX blues and noisy.
  10. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Banstick Dummy

Thanks Received:
    I got one. Its nice and nosey. Honestly I like it a lot. Just be careful of the firmware updates on it. You have to install that horrible Razor software to update the firmware now. If the keyboard works fine then leave the updated firmware and drivers OFF. I thought I bricked mine one day before I figured out what keys to hold upon boot to reset it. The only thing I can see the firmware even did was turn the light on the Razor logo.
  11. Paladone

Thanks Received:
    I have one (MX blue) but I also have a Ducky DK9008 (MX red I believe) and I prefer the black widow; just personal opinion I guess.
  12. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Only think I don't like about the Black Widow is you can't just unscrew the key switches and the hideous plastic shell on it. Otherwise it was a solid keyboard for me.
    Paladone says thanks.
  13. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Any keyboard with the CherryMX Blue key switches will have the type writer sound, due to the distinctive click the key makes at the actuation point.

[​IMG]

Here's just a diagram of the MX blue switch. The little clear-ish white part that drops, is what creates the click sound that a lot of typist turn to for their key type in their keyboard.
    Mussels says thanks.
  14. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    I hate it when my keyboard keeps asking me awkward questions about my personal life.