1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which Router to Get?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by fire2havoc, Jan 18, 2010.

1. fire2havoc New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am purchasing a router for myself. I mainly want a quality product and do not need wireless.

At this point, I'm leaning towards the D-Link DGL-4100 but I'm also considering something like the Linksys WRT54GL with DD-WRT. My main concerns are stability (for gaming/torrents), quality firmware, and an all-around good router.

Which should I choose? Maybe there are other recommendations? Thanks.

2. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Got a Linksys WRT54GL about a month ago and it's been great i only use it wired.

There is a user on here which i think he's still trying to sell his Linksys WRT54GL for about $40 shipping included.

I believe newtekie1 has tested some other firmware's. I'm sure he's about some were but one thing for sure he was right saying how good the router is.

I totally missed it on newegg as i was looking for wired one.

3. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    My WRT54G was taking a crap on me, so I bought this Rosewill router off of Newegg a few weeks ago. It's actually a re-branded Netcore NW618 and has gotten great reviews. I have yet to flash it with DD-WRT, but it's a straightforward process with this router. It has yet to have any problem handling 7 rigs and 5 Virtual Machines.

4. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    for me WRT54GL + DDWRT + FAN + ENZOTECH Heatsinks :rockout:

5. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    ive had a DGL 4300 for years now and it has preformed flawlessly, i highly recommend the dlink dgl series

6. fire2havoc New Member

Thanks Received:
    By the way, I already own a D-Link DIR-655, which has a faster processor than the DGL-4100 I want to get. The DIR-655 is set up in another place. Maybe it would be better to replace the DIR-655 with something less expensive and keep the good DIR-655 for myself?