1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which should I upgrade?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by MrWobbles, Aug 7, 2008.

1. MrWobbles New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm looking to get a new CPU and GPU in the near future, but I don't know which I should upgrade first. I currently have a Core 2 Duo E6600 and an Nvidia 8800GTS. Any suggestions on which i should upgrade first and maybe what I should get?

2. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    I'd do the RAM first myself; 5300 is a bit slow. GPU before CPU imo.

3. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    What is your reasoning for upgrading? Both the VGA and CPU are still decent, maybe a description of what you expect to get out of the upgrade would help? A budget would also help too.

Welcome to TPU btw!

4. MrWobbles New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the welcome :D I'm looking to get a quad core for the cpu and I'm still not sure about my video card. Like you said its not bad, it just seems to run slower than it should. Oh, and the point about the RAM is good, I still was kinda slim on money at the time I built the comp so I went cheap with that. I can spend about $250 per item, maybe $300.

5. J-Man

J-Man New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd get 2GB or even 4GB DDR2 1066 RAM.

For the CPU, I'd get the Q6600 or Q6700.

6. MrWobbles New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you J-Man I'll look into those

7. J-Man

J-Man New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you're looking for a good quad core, I'd say the Q6700 since it's the cheapest quad you can buy and it overclocks nicely. 3GHz+.

8. MrWobbles New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll probably go for the Q6600 and get the new RAM as well, if that's enough then I probably won't upgrade the GPU until later.

9. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    VGA you also have a few routs to take...a 9600GT is about the same speed as an older 8800GTS 640GB, good mid-range card, 9600GS is about the same also, but is faster when overclocked.

In the $250 range for VGA, you could go the HD48xx route or on NV get a 9800GTX+ or go for a GTX260. All are good options, some excell better in some benches and games in comparison to the rest, none are really a clear winner from what I've researched, but like I said all are great options and you won't lose...what resolution is that 21" LCD good for? Is it widescreen?

On the RAM front, some DDR1000-1066 in 2x2GB is a good way to go, I found some very good G.Skill DDR2 1000 2x2GB about 2 months ago or so for around $90 shipped, it's been excellent memory, stable, runs cool, only needs about 2v.

Like said before a Q6700 or 6600, maybe look in the Buy/Sell/Trade section, I have a Q6600, good processor overall, OC's decently, but not much out there utilizes all 4 cores yet...so if you plan on upgrading again a year down the road, I don't necessarily think a Quad would be the best route, but that depends on what you use your rig for...gaming rarely uses more than 2 cores to this day...that will change eventually I'm sure tho. If you overclock at all, maybe some better cooling...OC your current processor...there are quite a few options.

:toast:

10. MrWobbles New Member

Thanks Received:
    The monitor runs at 1680x1024 I think, I'm not sitting at that comp atm lol. I haven't been keeping up with the current hardware so I appreciate the insight on what's available to me, thank you. I'll do a bit of research and see what happens. Thank you for you opinions.