1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which Soundcard?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by silkstone, Dec 21, 2008.

1. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    I'm going to be upgrading my soundcard soon, but i'd like some advice. I'll probabily go Creative even tho their marketing sux.
    I saw some info about modified drivers to let soundblaster live and SB Audigy work as an x-fi card.
    My question is what card would be best to use with these modified drivers?
    I was thinking an audigy value, audigy SE or Live 5.1, as they are all fairly cheap.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the soundblaster mod or more info on it?

thx
  2. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Dont go creative, their drivers are utter trash. TBH on board is a lot better than it used to be and CPU's are much better suited to handling it without affecting performance. I use Onboard and it sounds so much better than the SB's your saying about. My dad went from an Audigy SE to Onboard and its so much better.
    If you want a dedicated soundcard, you want something like an Auzentech.
    But my recommendation to you, is stick with onboard.
    silkstone says thanks.
  3. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, but i really need a pci soundcard as i have an onboard RealTek, The mic port records at too low a volume even with boost. Done lots of searching and this is a common issue and there isn't a fix for it yet :(
  4. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Maybe some sort of USB based solution would be best for a mic. I'll see what I can find.
    silkstone says thanks.
  5. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Got a cheapo USB one, same problem in XP and no vista64 drivers. Problem is where i live. I have a limited choice of what i can get hold of and it's more or less all SB :(
  6. Gam'ster

Gam'ster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Asus D1 PCI card not as expensive as the D2, it uses the C-media chip set, good sound quality and good features.
  7. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received: