1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

which ssd

Discussion in 'Storage' started by lisburnni, Aug 2, 2010.

1. lisburnni New Member

Thanks Received:
    i currently have a crucial real ssd 128gb which i love as my OS drive . a friend has offered me a straight swap for an OCZ vertex 2E 120 GB sand force drive , i realize il be swap some read speed for a greatly more impressive write speed .

would i notice an improvement or the opposite in a day to day environment , gaming and internet browsing etc

many thanks stephen
  2. angelkiller

angelkiller

Thanks Received:
    You won't notice the difference between the Crucial SSD and the Vertex 2. They are two of the top SSDs out of there.
    trickson says thanks.
  3. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    +1 .
    I wished I would have went with one of them vertex 2 's but this one was right there so . man still talk about the best 2 there is !
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  4. Poisonsnak New Member

Thanks Received:
    I personally would go with the RealSSD as the Sandforce drives don't seem to be all that consistent in their performance:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...esn-t-trim-recover-speed-on-a-Sandforce-drive

it's a long read but Tony basically concedes the following:

1. Out of the box write performance is much higher than long-term write performance - this is because durawrite/duraclass does not take effect (GC map has not been built) until the drive has been used for about a week or so (depending on how much you write).

2. You could secure erase once a week to keep performance high (i.e. operate without a GC map) but he estimates without the map the drive would fail after about 6 months. This is in part because they use what he calls 5k PEC NAND (can only be written 5000 times as opposed to 10,000 in normal MLC NAND).