1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which SSD?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by farlex85, Sep 17, 2011.

1. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It would appear my raptor has finally crapped out on me, forcing me to pursue new booting apparati. I'm essentially looking for some help wading through the seemingly endless options for ssd's. I'm thinking 128gb probably and bang/buck is where I prefer to buy. Currently I was eying the crucial m4 @ microcenter for $179. Any other suggestions are welcome though, preferably at fry's or microcenter as I'd rather not wait to get my machine back up and running, but a killer deal online is certainly worth waiting for.
  2. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    id take the Crucial M4 at $180 for a 128gb that you can firmware upgrade to 0009 for 500+ mb's read and 170 or so mb/s write speeds its pretty damn good and its not a sandforce drive so thats a win in my book, im actually looking at getting the 256gb myself
  3. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    whats wrong with the new SATA III sandforce drives? Im just wondering
  4. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    The M4 is a good bang-for-buck SSD as much as performance go, and relatively cheap in terms of $/GB, for an SSD. The firmware update would further increase performance as well.
  5. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    uh did you forget all the issues with the OCZ vertex and agility 3 drives using sandforce and the problems faced by Corsair and there newer drives, with the sandforce controller?

Ill just take the M4 read speeds are similar to the Sandforce drives write speeds arent that great but 170 on the 128gb and 280 on the 256gb are more then enough and ill take the chance on crucial

since crucial which is the consumer brand for Micron and Intel are both joint partners in IM flash Tech or w.e basically 51% intel 49% Micron so intel and micron are essentially sharing tech when it comes to SSD's so ill take the faster Micron speeds and the far lower price with a bit better reliability over the newer sandforce drives which while they are improving still arent where they need to be.
  6. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    The m4 will be a good buy. You won't get anywhere near their rated speeds though, you'll be using sata 3gbps instead of sata 6gbps.
  7. TheOne

Thanks Received:
    Stability issues, freezing, BSOD, and dropping out of BIOS are the most common, SandForce has been working on this for months, they released a new Firmware update last month that helped some users, though some OCZ users that upgraded from Firmware 2.09 to 2.11 said they went from a stable system to an unstable system, OCZ is working on another Firmware update, 2.13, due out some time this month or next month.
  8. Flibolito

Flibolito

Thanks Received:
    I love my M4 128, much quicker than the X-25M and Vertex 2. Took a chance on crucial and I have fallen in love. Looking to purchase another.
  9. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    Yeah it seems both OCZ and Sandforce are too busy pumping out new product to do proper testing & QA. It's like they are using paying customers to beta test their SSDs.

That, and the pretty sketchy bait and switch they pulled with the vertex 2 25nm are a big reason to avoid them, I think.
  10. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well looks like the m4 is the one to beat, I know I won't get the full performance w/ Sata 2 but I'll upgrade eventually and from performance charts it appears either way it'll be considerably faster than the raptor. And quieter. Thanks for the info!
  11. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    To be fair on OCZ/corsair and sandforce the issues people are seeing point towards the sata controllers on motherboards not being able to handle the high speeds, as well as plug and play functionality thinking the SSD is unplugged when they go into a low power state to be the cause of most of the issues people see, which will vary by motherboard model (so many small factors can lead to an issue).

I'm a big fan of the corsair force series of SSDs personally, but they can be more expensive than some of the slower models.
  12. TheOne

Thanks Received:
    The SandForce controller has issues with every controller, SATAIII and SATAII, Intel, AMD, Marvell.

Power is the key focus on trying to fix the stability problems, the OCZ Firmware update 2.11 had several power changes for their drives, there are also suggestions that have helped some users that involve power managment, the Intel LPM reg change, and a OCZ employee has suggested a reg hack that will force the first two SATA ports to be seen as internal only.
  13. MN12BIRD

MN12BIRD

Thanks Received:
    I love my Crucial C300 more and more each day now. It's not the fastest SSD on the block but at least it's RELIABLE! It's very similar to the newer M4 as it uses the same Micron controller IIRC and supports SATA 6.0Gbps. Any SSD is much faster than a traditional HDD and I don't care about benchmarks or numbers on a box.... reliability is WAY more important! So a Micron powered Intel or Crucial SSD is what I recommend. I just can't believe all these SF issues and I don't care who's to blame. OCZ, SandForce or the motherboard/BIOS. It doesn't matter. It should be reliable!